• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).
Salvia divinorum 03 (2024-06-03)
Posted yesterday, but—after watching this video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwdDQ4t )—I decided that the shoots coming from the base of my plant looked good enough to propagate. Might be too small, but curiosity got the best of me. I will post another update of my plant and these cuttings in July.
Reactions: The Traveler
What's the name of the plant?
^ What Transform said. This method works wonderfully for S. divinorum, and I’ll be testing it on P. viridis a bit later. I’m also curious if E. sinica can be rooted from cuttings this way…

^ What Transform said. This method works wonderfully for S. divinorum, and I’ll be testing it on P. viridis a bit later. I’m also curious if E. sinica can be rooted from cuttings this way…
I think it's a case of 'try it and see' if you can afford the possibility of a small cutting succumbing to rot.

E. sinica prefers a much drier environment (assuming that's Ephedra you're talking about) so, while I've never actually grown any myself, at best I'd be inclined to be sceptical about the possibility of rooting stem cuttings in water being a viable means of propagation. This guide indicates that the cuttings should be placed in a well-drained potting mix in the spring:
Stem cuttings can be taken from mature plants in late spring or early summer. They should be inserted into a well-draining potting mix and placed in a warm and sunny location.

As a footnote, I've propagated a few species of sage just by rooting them in tap water, but S. guaranitica resolutely refuses to set root this way.

I think it's a case of 'try it and see' if you can afford the possibility of a small cutting succumbing to rot.

E. sinica prefers a much drier environment (assuming that's Ephedra you're talking about) so, while I've never actually grown any myself, at best I'd be inclined to be sceptical about the possibility of rooting stem cuttings in water being a viable means of propagation. This guide indicates that the cuttings should be placed in a well-drained potting mix in the spring:

As a footnote, I've propagated a few species of sage just by rooting them in tap water, but S. guaranitica resolutely refuses to set root this way.
Thank you for all the info! My four plants might still be too young for a stem cutting, as they are only growing green shoots off of one woody stem at the moment. I started them from seed about four years ago.

I honestly have no idea about the cultivation of Ephedra specifically, but you may want to experiment with air layering, just to see if you can get the stems to root without cutting them beforehand. Other xeric-adapted plants (like trichocereus) root from the stems quite readily with a bit of shading, particularly my TBM.

Media information

Category
The Ethnobotanical Garden show
Album
Stuart's Garden
Added by
stuartroelke
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings