• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Absinthe - recipe

Migrated topic.
rOm said:
Loveall said:
Wormwood is being looked at for COVID-19. I'd be up for shot of absinthe now a days 🙂

Except the artemisia being looked at is mugwort not the absynthium. In fact mugwort is used with success to treat paludism but is being made illegal for that too and it seems things ( drugs or herbs) working against paludism works for this coronavirus too. So yeh Artemisia annuum is the one for corona / paludism, and absynth is artemisia absynthium. not sure the value of absynth but mugwort has more and grows around nearly everywhere I go.

Good point, not the wormwood I was thinking of originally.

Loveall said:
rOm said:
Loveall said:
Wormwood is being looked at for COVID-19. I'd be up for shot of absinthe now a days 🙂

Except the artemisia being looked at is mugwort not the absynthium. In fact mugwort is used with success to treat paludism but is being made illegal for that too and it seems things ( drugs or herbs) working against paludism works for this coronavirus too. So yeh Artemisia annuum is the one for corona / paludism, and absynth is artemisia absynthium. not sure the value of absynth but mugwort has more and grows around nearly everywhere I go.

Good point, not the wormwood I was thinking of originally.
The one that commonly grows in western Europe is Artemisia vulgaris. (She is the key, the gateway to herbcraft...) Artemisia annua has also, coincidentally, been used for treating malaria. (Don't mention the HCQ!)

Depending on the exact compound or group of compounds responsible for the antiviral effect of Artemisia annua it may be the case that several other species of Artemisia also might be worth investigating, along with some other sesquiterpenoid producers of the Asteraceae.

Absinthe was itself originally developed as a treatment for malaria so we might be able to join up a few dots here.

well, it is indeed pretty simple and can still be achieved quite cheaply. There was a good summary earlier in this thread:

I'll have more to add once I've slept.

PS - the lotus won't provide its alkaloid-based effects once distilled, so that would have to be replaced if still desired.

Wonderful. In effect, absinth is rather not really charged in wormwood or distilled. Sometimes double times or triple times.
The art lies in making a beverage that is drinkable and tasty, while all of the wormwood's bitterness doesn't disturb the tongue of ongoing van Gogh's.

A guy I know made this his business. Very sane and authentic job. But requires a lot of fine-tuning to get the recipes right.

Also nice, white absinth, only distillation, without infusion of the herbs afterwards.

Have fun and make a garden on which grew all thee herbs a Day!

Mid 1800s 'popular' recipe:
1L Recipe
1L of Beetroot vodka @ 85%
27g Wormwood
93g Anise
79g Fennel
3.4g Mint
1.9g Liquorice root
10g Coriander seed
0.5g Lemon Peel

1L Recipe colouration
Colour half of your hearts with
2.6g Petite Wormwood
1.3g Hyssop
1.9g Lemon Balm

Innnnnnterrrrestingly... the botanicals are cooked in the vodka at 60°C before distillation, which is highly reminiscent of a process we've discussed here lately.

1700's recipe:

Back
Top Bottom