• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Acidified Ethanol Extraction of Mimosa

Migrated topic.

DudeMeetTyler

Rising Star
So Im looking for a product to use for pharma and dont want to use naphtha (even though it evaps clean and was re-evapped in acetone I just dont like the thought of ingesting product orally that came from naphtha. warranted or not its just my thought) and cant find limo. Sure I could brew some mimosa tea but this is just a thought, please just humour me :)

After some reading about the instant aya and the cake method (I cant find the link directly to the cake method (google search brings me here but "access is denied") but it is copied on post 10 of the link) I think an acidified alcohol extraction should work.

Thoughts...
acidify alcohol with a splash of vinegar, mix with bark, let sit at room temp (for a day?), filter/seperate, repeat 3 times total. Allow to sit undisturbed to allow finer particles to settle, decant and evap with little/no heat. collect resin, divide into doses...

perhaps one could also heat the solution (very slightly in a water bath) when it was with the bark to decrease soak times

(the bark would be saved and an extraction performed to determine how efficient this actually is)

..Has anyone done this?
Is it a worth while / effective means?

Thanks

The Dude

Im not sure... I was thinking of trying to first basify the mimosa dry (with sodium carbonate because thats what I had and its easily available anywhere), then pull with a 95% ethanol I have, evap that and then try to purify it in any number of ways (just re-x with petrochem to see yield, vs more natural methods, using cooking oils and salting, or FASA or whatever )

Im not sure if DMT salt is soluble in ethanol (or acidified ethanol... ), but I know as a freebase it is, hence why I thought of this other way.

Edit: By dry I mean, make paste with sodium carb, then let dry and then pull.

If i read correctly, basifying the ethanol with lye, and pulling from the bark works (or so the author of the cake method writes), but im not sure if it would work with sodium carbonate. Then if you dry this to a "cake" you should be able to pull with acetone, I think (apparently acetone is a metabolite and present in some fruit, pretty sure i read that on here somewhere, which wouldnt be too "terrible" 😉 ).

And according to that instant aya link, one can simply pull from mimosa using ethanol and evap. I just figured using some acid would help pull the goodies better, ya?

Perhaps if you can just pull using ethanol, one could pull with ethanol, filter, repeat, combine and then evap to give a "cake". Then put that in some vinegar and let any plant gunk fall out, decant or filter then evap?

Yeah I have 50g mimosa sodium carb paste to make some test, I was thinking half pulling with ethanol (evap and clean), and half with acetone, doing FASA on acetone, compare yields.

Im really not sure if acidifying ethanol helps or worsens the solubility in this case, maybe someone else knows.

Try it out and let us know, the more people experiment the better :)

so as it turns out, high % alchol is not sold in these parts (highest is 45%, not sure what proof that is though)...

do you think 40% would work? though that means its 60% water and would require loads more time to evap...

also can one dry ethanol like they can dry acetone?
(with epsom salts. Are baked epsom salts an efficient way to dry acetone?)

Thanks Again for your replies end,

The Dude

at what ratio will baked epsom salts absorb water? - ie how many ml water per gram epsom salts ?

and is there a way to determine the % of alcohol after drying? - a hydrometer? if a hydrometer is used what sort of reading should one aim for?

Thanks

The Dude

DudeMeetTyler said:
at what ratio will baked epsom salts absorb water? - ie how many ml water per gram epsom salts ?

and is there a way to determine the % of alcohol after drying? - a hydrometer? if a hydrometer is used what sort of reading should one aim for?

Thanks

The Dude
Dried, anhydrous epsom salts (i.e. after adding them in the oven) can absorb their weight in water. That is, 100g anhydrous epsom salts absorb 100g of water. By this rule of thumb you know when your epsom salts are becoming anhydrous during baking because they lose ~50% of their weight.

Of course, not total dehydration of the epsoms is necessary; if you add in the oven and they become, say 50g lighter, then they can absrb back 50g of water.

As for % alcohol after drying, well, there's no need for a hydrometer. Should you want to use one though (just for teh lulz) then you should aim for the 0.79 reading.

First acetone pull on the mimosa sodium carb paste does not seem to yield anything after adding FASA. Mimosa color was blackish, the pull had a tint of green (???) and when adding FASA to it, became more brown. Its been standing for a couple of hours with no visible change.. I put it in the freezer, and if nothing comes out I will evap it down and see what im left with.

The ethanol soak is still evaporating, it was blackish even after filtering.. When its done and I decide how to proceed, I'll update.

Back
Top Bottom