• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Advice

Migrated topic.

Demetrius

Rising Star
Advice Please. I was recently talikng with some one who told me he recieved 250g of pre powdered MHRB and divided it in half and put each half in a one litre mason jar. He then premixed one litre regular tap water with 125g lye and then added 500 ml of water to each jar. He then added 250 ml Bestine Rubber Cement Remover(heptane) and gave both jars a good stir for a half a hour or so. He then let the bottles sit overnight. The next day he took of the lids and it seemed that the heptane did not seperate out. He said what was there was thick sludge. He added more lye and heptane mixed it around and then let it sit and eventually after two days attempted an extraction. The layers seperated, however the amount of heptane that was removed from the two bottles did not nearly equal the amount that was put in there . Regardless he put iteh heptane in the fridge for a few hours and then to the freezer for 36 hours then back to the fridge for a few more hours. When he poured off the heptane there were some crystals in teh glas dish. He let them dry overnight and only ended up with 100mg of white crystals. He then added 200 ml of heptane back to both the jars, shook them up and let them sit for a day. He then went to do another extraction but the thick solution once again retured and there was no separation of the heptane. It is it this guys opinion that enough lye was added throughout this whole process that ph should not be an issue and that the heptane should be seperating. That being said the when the heptane is added to the two jars they are almost full. Could the lack of space be causing this problem?. He informed me that he thinks he should have used a bigger container for mixing but is a newbie and wasn't thinking. Anyway I doubt I will talk to him again because he lives in antartica but would be curious to know what you guys think may be going wrong. Peace & Zappiness

I can only think that the problem lies in adding the bestine at the same time as the base solution. That amount of lye should be plenty to prevent an emulsion forming. Try running the solution through a fine strainer a couple of times. Also you could add half a cup of salt to one of the jars and see if that breaks it.

Well I talked to my friend and he said that he ran the mixture through a strainer and added some salt. However the solution did not seperate. He thenemptied out a bit of the basified mix the make some extra room and added 200ml of mineral spirit. Initially the solvent sat on top of the basified solution however after 20 min of stirring the solution had once again absorbed the solvent...My friend is wondering if he should just give up this experiment and start again, maybe this time with naptha and pieces of bark as opposed to powder. The solution seems to get so viscous with powdered bark as opposed to pieces of bark.

Well my friend added some more water to the solution then added some more polar solvent gave it a shake and let it sit and viola two distinct layers....After letting it sit for a day he did a cfc precipitate and viola once again, elfin nanotechnology. Now then only question remaining in my friends mind is how long will the basified solution hold it's ph?..........Thanks for the help Noman

[quote:1643deed26="Demetrius"] Now then only question remaining in my friends mind is how long will the basified solution hold it's ph?..........Thanks for the help Noman[/quote:1643deed26] It'll hold it pH forever but it'll eat up the spice. It should be extracted soon. Glad it worked out for you - sux getting skunked. :)

Ok........The basified solution was mixed about two weeks ago and the first extraction started about five days ago...my friend is curious to know what his window is. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom