• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Al Azif, The Book of Buzzing

Migrated topic.

Horizon_Bloom

Rising Star
Hey guys!

My grasses (AQ1 and BM) arrived in the mail yesterday, on the solstice, and that's put me into a jovial, whimsical mood. Further more, contemplating the synchronicity of their arrival, I started thinking about a common experience that people describe on hallucinogenics, particularly with high doses or breakthrough DMT experiences.

Of course, I mean the buzzing.

Now I've yet to experience DMT, or 5-Meo, but I have experienced this sort of phenomenon. Twice on mushrooms and a few times on Salvia, during intense meditation and also in fever dreams and feverish waking delirium (very bad flu episodes). The next thing that happens is always different, but it always happens the same. The buzzing builds, eventually my body starts vibrating, a tingle spreads from the base of my skull, filling it until the pressure feels like pins and needles of a sleeping limb, and then a sudden release- a quiet. I enter a feeling of floating. Sometimes I see things, sometimes events unfold, or I encounter some entity or presence. Sometimes, it is just conscious void.

Now, simply for clarity, let me point out that mushrooms have never "taken me somewhere else". I'm not saying that, but my first time, I definitely heard the buzz before the body high hit, and by the end of the night, the buzz had morphed into a heavenly chorus of constantly changing perfect harmonies. The other time I experienced this was on somewhere between 5-7 grams (I ate more after the trip started, so ???) and at the peak, I experienced this buzz/tingle/pop/silence again, and I was able to (it seemed) project my awareness into someone's consciousness and witness their perspective, simply by thinking of that person. It was immensely overwhelming and humbling, while also enlightening me a bit to my friends and loved ones. That all took a sharp turn when I recalled one of my friends that I had shown a shock video to a few days prior. It started with recalling him, then him watching the video, then his physical sense of repulsion, and then Psilly Mama took me a step deeper and I became the man in the video and lived what he lived on camera. (It was a #Person#Item type video. Not for the feint of heart.) An amusing digression, none the less!

A lot of what I have experienced reminds me of a couple silly books, and the mounds of even sillier theories revolving around them. I mean (if you hadn't guessed by the title) The Necronomicon, Al Azif- the Book of the Buzzing/Howling (of the demons and jinn of the wastes, etc, etc...) Now, I know this is ludicrous, perhaps even salacious, material to base a modern mythology on, but I am a ludicrous and even sometimes salacious person, so I see little conflict in proceeding.

"The Book" by HP Lovecraft said:
It was a key- a guide- to certain gateways and transitions of which mystics have dreamed and whispered since the race was young, and which lead to freedoms and discoveries beyond the three dimensions and realms of life and matter that we know.

[...]

That night I passed the gateway to a vortex of twisted time and vision, and when morning found me in the attic room I saw in the walls and shelves and fittings that which I had never seen before.

Nor could I ever after see the world as I had known it. Mixed with the present scene was always a little of the past and a little of the future, and every once-familiar object loomed alien in the new perspective brought by my widened sight. From then on I walked in a fantastic dream of unknown and half-known shapes; and with each new gateway crossed, the less plainly could I recognise the things of the narrow sphere to which I had so long been bound.

[...]

The walls melted away, and I was swept by a black wind through gulfs of fathomless grey with the needle-like pinnacles of unknown mountains miles below me. After a while there was utter blackness, and then the light of myriad stars forming strange, alien constellations. Finally I saw a green-litten plain far below me, and discerned on it the twisted towers of a city built in no fashion I had ever known or read or dreamed of. As I floated closer to that city I saw a great square building of stone in an open space, and felt a hideous fear clutching at me. I screamed and struggled, and after a blankness was again in my attic room sprawled flat over the five phosphorescent circles on the floor. In that night's wandering there was no more of strangeness than in many a former night's wandering; but there was more of terror because I knew I was closer to those outside gulfs and worlds than I had ever been before.

Sounds like the sort of thing I'd classify as a breakthrough experience. In this particular fiction, the Lovecraftian character is an unwitting human with an unhealthy obsession with occult arcanum. He follows the instructions of the book and even contacts various entities (though, it's only alluded to)- one particular entity "the messenger from Tartary" gives him a chant and ritual to perform in order to experience the last part.

There's an archetypal structure, and positive use IMO, of Bad Trips. In this story, the last experience described encourages the protagonist to maybe not delve so deep into the bizarre in his future journeys.

Once, when I popped through on a high dose of Salvia, I saw four semi-silhouetted figures hover over me with a black backdrop. I was reclined, and the looming figures seemed to be human, wearing surgical scubs, masks and caps, colored light red. They also had headlamps on, which I found most odd. I realized they were talking about me to one another and tried to listen in. "It's a stretch," one of them said, "But we can doctor him up." Then they obscured my vision by leaning in and blinding me with their headlamps. I was scared shitless, and what do they mean by "doctor" up? I've wondered about this one many times, and after reading something here somewhere, I wonder if these were the Transcendental Hygienists?

"Outer Gateways" by Kenneth Grant said:
The crest which supplies the key to the Current represented by the Merovingian bloodline and the Order of Sion, comprises the symbols of the Typhonian line of descent: the two bears, eleven bees, and the fleur de lys. The motto incorporated in the crest reads Et in Arcadia ego. Arcadia=127, which is the number of the Egyptian Goddess Heqt who was typified by the ‘lower part of the back, or haunch.’ The two bears denote the Mother (Typhon) and her son (Set). The image of the bee pictorializes the buzzing or humming vibration peculiar to the Outer Ones, or their vehicles. Eleven is the number of Those who are Without, or beyond, the Tree of Life, thus identifying the Outer Ones.

Okay, so this guy is about as credible as the Simon Necronomicon. Well, maybe less- because at least the Simon Necronomicon has actually caused real deaths (at least three I've heard of, all un-magickal murders attempting to do magick). Even so, in the Simon version (which is at least entertaining, and written by an occultist as a joke) the testimony of Abdul Alhazred makes numerous references to the buzzing, howling, use of vibration, etc... in his entire account of events and formulae.

The most I have experienced anything like what Alhazred describes was a really bad flu I caught when I was about 13. I was feverish and kept cycling through consciousness and fever dreams. During one of the conscious periods, I had a ringing in my ears, like a firecracker went of next to me. I felt my head swell and I passed out. I instantly splashed into an ether (fluid space?). The only other distinct thing I remember from the dream was an enormous draconian presence, flitting through the ether and darting past me fast enough to feel the turbulence. The rest is hazy, but I think I actually battled my sickness in the form of an extra-dimensional dragon.

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/12/spirit-of-beehive_04.html said:
Angelica Barrigon Varela and co-worker Remedios Diez were on their way to work at a local factory along the wall that divided the railroad tracks and the street when they heard a loud buzzing sound coming from the area of the tracks. Looking in that direction they beheld a bizarre creature floating and balancing itself above the railroad tracks. It appeared to be wearing a monk-like smock or coat, dark green in color that emitted intermediate flashes of light under the light rain. The humanoid itself was dwarf-like with white pale features and stared at the witnesses fixedly. The face was oval shaped and the eyes were like two deep black holes. It appeared to lack any legs below the knees as the smock hung in mid-air. - From Humanoid Sighting Report

A common occurrence, it seems, with all manner of paranormal experience, fictional or witnessed. And I bring it up because I find it interesting, and I haven't read of anyone else really drawing that connection here. Maybe I just watch too many horror shows :p .

Sorry if I've harshed anyone's mellow, but to force some words into Yoda's mouth:

"If fear the Dark side you do, surrendered to it you have."

Happy wintertime festivities, everyone!

Interesting post. :d

Personally, I've never heard the buzzing, or failed to pay notice to it. I notice a frequency change and ambient sound can become something else that seems to be of significance. DMT are incredibly aural to me, once I'm in breakthrough strange pinging electronic sounds are distinct and do not seem to be generated from within, but without myself. The description of the others in the quote referencing the Merovingian blah blah was intriguing for that.

Anyway, on the necronomicon: I've been a Lovecraft fan since I was a young boy ( far longer than it's been cool to do so:wink: )and had a copy of the simon as a youngster - think YOU were a weird kid- my question to you is: where did you get it ? I was under the understanding that it would not be reprinted , or is that just creepy faux majick lore? My copy was the trade paperback. That book is f####ed by the way. I hesitate to say that I worked a ritual from it that worked, very very well, and for that reason scared the crap out if me. Just for clarity, it was not a spell to hurt anyone, although it ended up kinda screwing with me.

I know that sounds silly and synchronous timing may have played part as could have a modified attitude of my own as a result of the working, ORRR maybe I summoned Azathoth. I dont know.

Transcendental Hygienists? That's priceless!
:lol:

I have a Simon copy. It's the Avon reprint, from B&N.

I was always tempted in my teens to actually try the walking, but it meant abstinence from what teenage boys love to do most, and the process would have taken over a year, longer if no results were obtained from a specific step. One of those herculean obstacles to keep the undedicated amateurs away? Plus, this was before the internet was available to me outside of school or the library, and I had no idea how to make anything metal in that book.

I have inscribed some symbols of formulae on the insides/undersides of guitar pedals I have, but no appreciable difference comes from them (other than the secret knowledge of something awesome looking on the inside. A creepy treat for whoever owns them after me.)

I don't think there was anything about the Simon not being reprinted, but the preface (penned by 'Simon') intimated that in the time they possessed the original MS, several strange things happened, including the death of at least two colleagues, one muder, one suicide, and I think it was alleged some other(s) went insane. I'm almost certain that was hogwash, though, as the book was contrived by Peter Levenda. An interesting man, who actually is involved in the occult, but wrote this as a "joke" to the occult community (along with a whole series of other books, like "Gates of the Necronomicon", "Dead Names" (a history of the N.) and the "Necronomicon Spellbook"- might be a few more, but I never owned or read them. But with him as an actual occultist, I have to entertain the possibility that his "joke" is actually his own 'workable' methods (to whatever end 'workable' actually is).

I can't seem to find an origin for the stories I've heard of real kids/young adults that supposedly killed others trying to perform these rituals.

I can't take credit for the Transcendental Hygienists, I think I read about them in the Hyperspace Entities wiki entry. It seems like a good match to me, though.

I've concurrently become wrapped up with the Dream Cycle of Lovecraft. I plan to see if I can dig up, or at least forge, a functional/entertaining CT regarding it. I know others have speculated about such stuff elsewhere on the internet, but if there's something there, I think I can suss it out.

Currently on "Hypnos", which is literally about drug-induced dream travel, meeting a sort of entity, etc...

Including descriptions of the space entered into as being "viscous clouds of uncouth vapors", which sounds a lot to me like the Flotsam Jetsam/JimJam of hypserspace.

And, though I didn't catch anything in this short, there seems to be a significance to moon phase in his work, and where a "dreamer" ends up, ranging from the "horned moon waning", to Gibbous, to Full, to even a couple I'm not sure about ("the clear moon" could be either full, or new; another I expect to find again soon is the "disk with a horned moon on either side" [ i.e. : )O( ] in 'The Cats of Ulthar', which I readily recognize as a Pagan/Wiccan symbol, combining the span of all phases of moon).

CAVEAT:

I don't think I explicitly stated this above, but I don't necessarily think that Lovecraft used DMT or a plant with it, or any drugs/plants at all even. The possibility, of course, remains there, and it seems to be the general consensus (myself included) that *drugs* aren't the sole route to these sorts of experiences, so it's not even required. I mean, DMT wasn't even a known substance, except in the very last years of his life, and it was only known it could be vaporized well after his death... But, that doesn't preclude all the "less than scientific" knowledge of many plants that could produce effects simply by being burned in a censor and inhaling the ambient vapors, much of which can be easily exaggerated to great extent.

Back
Top Bottom