• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Bufotenine Solubility

Migrated topic.

69ron

Rising Star
This post will be edited with updates periodically as more information comes it. The actual solubility numbers are missing for most of these, so as this information comes in, I’ll update this post.

SWIM now finally has quite a bit of pure freebase bufotenine to play around with. As there is almost no information about solubility, I’ve decided to post information gathered by SWIM’s own tests showing the solubility of bufotenine in various solvents.

Freebase Bufotenine Solubility
Acetone @ 20 C: soluble (5 g/100 ml)
Chloroform @ 20 C: soluble
Dichloromethane @ 20 C: soluble
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) @ 20 C: soluble (6 g/100 ml)
D-Limonene (Orange Oil) @ 20 C: insoluble
D-Limonene (Orange Oil) @ 176 C: soluble (more than 1.7 g/100 ml)
Ethanol @ 20 C: soluble
Ether @ 20 C: soluble
Ethyl acetate @ 20 C: soluble
Heptane @ 20 C: insoluble
Heptane with 40% MEK @ 20 C: soluble (0.53 g/100 ml)
Heptane with 50% MEK @ 20 C: soluble (1.22 g/100 ml)
IPA @ 20 C: soluble
MEK @ 20 C: soluble
Methanol @ 20 C: soluble
Naphtha @ 20 C: insoluble
Water @ 20 C: nearly insoluble in pure water (no acid or alkali added)
Xylene @ 20 C: nearly insoluble (less than 0.03 g/100 ml)
Xylene @ 144 C: soluble (1.5 g/100 ml)

Infundibulum said:
69ron said:
Water @ 20 C: nearly insoluble
69ron, does that actually mean that freebase bufo is insoluble in basic solution, out of it can crash out during basification (just like SWIM's FOAF once dreamed of doing)?

The Merck Index clearly states that bufotenine is practically insoluble in water, but soluble in dilute acid and dilute alkali. I take that to mean bufotenine forms salts with both acids and alkali at certain pH levels.

That information in the above post was for bufotenine crystals in pure distilled water. The pH was not checked, but it was water without any acid or alkali added to it. The bufotenine was barely soluble in it.

SWIM will do more accurate water solubility tests to include various pH levels and actual solubility numbers in the near future and then he’ll update that information.

If the Merck Index is correct, bufotenine should be able to form a salt with calcium hydroxide. That means that the theoretical calcium bufotenate should be possible. SWIM’s tests in the past showed it was not possible and that the Merck Index was wrong.

The Merck Index is not usually wrong. Maybe SWIM did something wrong in his previous tests. He let the bufotenine sit in alkali for 24 hours. Maybe it can’t withstand such a long time in water. Maybe the water destroyed it and not the calcium hydroxide. He’s going to redo those tests more carefully and more accurately and then update that information when he’s done.

Updated the OP to include d-limonene solubility.

SWIM's tests found freebase bufotenine to be insoluble in d-limonene at 20 C.

SWIM's tests found freebase bufotenine to be soluble in boiling d-limonene at 176 C. At 176 C bufotenine's solubility in d-limonene is more than 1.7 g/100 ml. The maximum has not been found. This amount quickly dissolved and actually all of it dissolve just before reaching 176 C (the boiling point of d-limonene). I'm guessing that maybe 5 times that much will dissolve. SWIM needs to do more testing to see.

Hexane is too non-polar on it's own. A mix of hexane and MEK would work if you found the right ratio though.

soulfood said:
Did anyone ever find out even a rough figure for the amount of bufotenine soluble in 100ml DCM?

My guess is that the solubility is something like 50 g/100 ml. Just a wild guess based on SWIM’s experience using it. But it’s water soluble too, so in an A/B even DCM isn’t that good at pulling it out of water. It’s similar in this way to mescaline. Both of them love water, and an A/B type of water/solvent extraction does a poor job on extracting them.

ThirdEyeVision said:
Thank you 69ron for this great information. Can both this and the mescaline solubility threads be made sticky? They are very valuable threads!

Well, I have a copy of all this information, so it will never be lost. It's probably a good idea to post the same information on some other forums as well.

i doubt it...

maybe like as much as hot xylene is (up there on the list) but thats only like a g compared to 5 g with IPA

my question for ron or anyone...
would IPA be superior to acetone? and also, does an acid phase need to happen to release the bufo, before being able to freebase? will that make it EASIER than going right to basic with sodium carb?

thnk

Back
Top Bottom