• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Cleaning acetone used for washing

Migrated topic.

The Day Tripper

Rennasauce Man
I was wondering, is there anyway to clean up acetone that was used for washing alkaloid salts not soluble in the acetone?

I have approx 250ml of "dirty" yellow acetone, and decided to not evaporate my washes and save them in case they could be cleaned and re-used somehow. Would be really cool, not having to keep buying acetone to wash things with. Then i could re-use all the solvents in my extractions, and not have to evaporate anything but water.

I'm surprised no responses yet for something I would consider dangerous.

It's not worth the risk. I suppose an alcohol still would work, but acetone is more volatile and it might be harder to cool it down to condense. It might cause too much pressure when heated. Not that I know first hand, it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

I always evap acetone washes and do a mini a/b vinegar to lime then acetone again. The washes definitely contain actives because you can't get all the water out of acetone. I dry out my mescaline washes and consume as-is, dissolved again in water, for lagniappe doses because that stuff is priceless to me. I haven't tried MEK, as acetone is good enough for me to wash HCLs and fumarates.

What is dangerous about this exactly?

If you get a distillation set (and a heating mantel), you could run the acetone through that and voila, fresh acetone. This is how I clean all my limonene and other solvents.

Well, i was thinking along the lines of activated carbon or something, i don't really have the equip or experience to distill the acetone. If there's a way to do it without distilling, I'm totally in, but i don't think that's a route i want to go (distilling).

Back
Top Bottom