• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Botany Cultivating Chacruna (psychotria vidiria) from (dried) seeds

Growing logs with advice and results.

MrCreepy_

Rising Star
First of All, I would be really happy if some pro could give me some tipps in this thread!
I sadly could't find the topic/a thread any where else. If you found some, please share them!

Cloning from leave cuts seems to be easy enough, but you can only order chacruna seeds online...

So, what I've gatherd so far on Information (A lot from this p. viridis grow guide here) was written down in the following post:

I'm not a pro or anything. Got around a year of experience in cannabis and mushroom cultivation, I'm pretty passionate with it, but know nothing praktical about chacruna cultivation!
Also, be aware that it will take you multiple years a a lot of clones for a good harvest. So growing chacruna really isn't satisfying...

Your best bet is to get seeds in a fresh or died berry, als these are just likely to be still alive. Fresh berrys need to be Crushed (only the outside obviously, not the seed) und then plante.
Sprouting time is 3-6 month for fresh seeds, 6 - 9 for old dries ones. But there not very likely to sprout.

Now to the cultivation method:
I've read that the "mold suppressing" attributes of spagnum moss come in quite handy with long germination rates.
I know that some plants that require a minimum amount of nutrition can grow in just the sphagnum moss. According to this article, it grows in it. Only that the author prefered coco peat (I only now coco coir but I guess thats the same)., because it's harder to get the roots of the spagnum moss if you want do plant it into soil after germination. But as I'm expecting significantly longer germination time than from leaf cuttings, I think the moss is the better call here.
I got 10 seeds, and some are going in moss only, some in a mix and some just into coco coir.0
The previously linked articel talks about the takeaway tek, but I guess just throwing it in a small baggy does exactly the same.

Now to decrease germination time I'll soake it in a 50/50 mixture of chamomile tee (to soften up the shell) and gibberellic acid. Definitly do that if you try this cultivation! Increases your germination speed significantly (apparently).

For the soil:
I know that adult chacrunas like acid soil and the respective fertilizer for citrus plants.
But what about the seeds... No clue.
I'm just gonna do it like with cannabis plant, from germination in moss/coco coir into unfertilized earth and only after the cultivation of a small pot with acidic fertilized earth (I'll just buy some for rhododendrons, that got the perfect pH of 4.17 – 4.94 similar to the amazon Rainforest soil, acording to the ultimate p. viridis growing guide)

I live in middle of Europ, which makes growing it outdoors impossible, but I already got an indoor greenhouse for my shrooms, which always got a high humidity and led stripes for "indirect sunlight". But I guess if you mist it with some water now and then it will be fine sitting in a normal room, but what do I know... (sorry for that)

Now please give me some feedback, I'll start planting all the seeds in a week after I looked thru the replies.
So, I'll be back in 6-9month eyy

If crossed with the Psychotria carthagenensis the plant will aquire faster growth speed and a (slightly) increased cold resistence.
This hybrid is called Nexus or DW01, read more about it at the end of this mentioned guide

Spaghnum is really great for long germinating seeds like this one, but I prefer to grow them in open containers to avoid rot on the outer shell of the seeds.

Even if this means a lot more work on humidity monitoring than closed boxes or bags.

They adapt easily to a lot of different growing conditions, but they don't like a too fast changing of climate.

I grow them outdoors in summer and bring them inside in winter in Europe, but sometimes the straight sun in early spring can be really harmful for them after a chilled winter inside with not much light (I don't use growing lights, just near to a window) but stable temperature.

I grew them in a mix of peat, compost and draining elements like perlite. Doesn't seem to be complicated about this.

But in my experience, strains are not doing the job in the same manner. For example, my plants from Luna and UDV are much more fast forward than the shipibo variety I have.

Nexus beats them all, but this is a hybrid.

Gibberellic acid will help improving the germination rate for sure.

A friend of mine plant them in the bare ground to maximise growth during the summer months and brings them pack inside in pots in winter. Seems to work but I haven't tried.

As you are already aware don't give up on them based on time since it does take a long while to germinate. I planted FRESH seeds and it still took 3-4 months to germinate. I planted in a simple top soil mix with spaghnum moss mixed. I keep the soil moist the entire time watering every week. No humidity dome needed.

Unless you are going to grow with high humidity into adulthood of the plant I wouldn't increase it so the seedlings harden off early on.

open containers to avoid rot on the outer shell of the seeds.
Gotcha, then I'll do that with half the seeds, thanks!
Unless you are going to grow with high humidity into adulthood of the plant I wouldn't increase it so the seedlings harden off early on.
Hmm, tough decision then, because I probably would have kept them in my high humidity greenhouse with constant 70-80% humidity.
But I guess hardening doesn't mean that they won't sustain a high humidity afterwards. So I'm safe with this method then?
Perfect, thanks for the input!

If you can provide high humidity it isn't a bad idea to provide it from seedling since it'll grow faster. There is no issue adding humidity later on... Unless you have AC or dehumidifier on I think around 50-60% humidity is enough. I reread you post and saw you only have 10 seeds so maybe provide humidity until you can make leaf clones just to guarantee survival of some.

Soaking your seeds in hydrogen peroxide dilution of 1-3% overnight is also a great way of getting good germination on your seeds.
Another good one is worm castings tea.

Back
Top Bottom