• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

DMT and other Alkaloids in Mimosa genus trees of the southwest USA-

Migrated topic.

bridgesiiguy

Rising Star
Hello, I am very interested in the alkaloid content of mimosa genus trees of the southwest.

It seems that there is very little information on mimosa trees other than Mimosa hostilis/tenuiflora which isn't native to the southwest. I have willing to search out and test some mimosa's of the southwest, but would prefer to go into my research armed with the data that is already out there so as to not waste my time.

One of the most common species of Mimosa in the area where I live is Mimosa aculeaticarpa or cat claw mimosa. There is no information as to its alkaloid content and I was was wondering if anybody had any leads as to its alkaloid content.

Also Mimosa distachya or Mexican Mimosa grows here as well. Again there is no information on its alkaloid content that I can find.

There are a few other mimosa species in the southwest that are less common, but all mimosa genus trees seem like they could be a very valuable resource that is very under the radar.

Also, as a sidenote, does anybody know if Mimosa tenuiflora is found at all in northern Mexico?

I think you've got the right idea my friend, and analysis/exploration would be appreciated by many here. I'm also a Southwestern US inhabitant and have been checking out my native/introduced species of Acacia/Mimosa. I think your first stop is the Trying to Improve Acacia information thread, and looking into what Nen and others have compiled on various species of Acacia/Mimosa. There's lots to be known!
Closest native Acacia/Mimosa I have near me is A.greggi. Not sure to what extent you have kept an eye out, but atleast in my climate, introduced Acacias run wild, so they're interesting to check out if you haven't.
I think it is really valuable to look into endemic species though, and info you glean would be appreciated. I don't know much about those two species, else I'd chip in.

An initial alkaloids screening with Ehrlich's Reagent is a very cheap, quick way to screen for the presence of indole alkaloids. If you get a positive, move on to more, time/expense intensive specific testing.

Back
Top Bottom