• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Entry Level to Intermediate Labware....?

Migrated topic.

Dimitrius

Rising Star
I'm about to get into the finer aspects of botanical work, and as such, I'm looking at purchasing some alchemy equipment [that's what I call it...alchemy]

I'm looking at the Soxhlet & Distillation options on Amazon & Ebay, and I'm just unsure of what to go with.

A lot of the cheaper [affordable] stuff seems like I will be wishing I had something on the higher end later. That being said, I can't really afford the higher end at the moment.

So, I'm wondering if you all might have suggestions [sources, brands, links..] for lower-end to moderately priced lab equipment, with special regards toward Soxhlet, Distillation & a Heating Mantle.

I'm figuring 1000-2000ml will do for my needs, and that digital is the way to go for a heating mantle.

[__/\__]

In looking through all the various options, I'm left with a o_O on my face.

So many distillation variants. So many parts. So many suppliers.

And the joint sizes [55/50, 24/40, etc..].. I have no idea what I might need.

Are there any complete sets, being lowest on the price ladder, yet quality enough to make the buy....that you might recommend?

I'm not so sure I can afford a ChemGlass or Kimax, as even their smaller units [like a 300ml Soxhlet] are slightly out of my starting price range.

In distillation, I'm looking at experimenting with finer work, but also wanting to reclaim limonene after use.

I'm hoping to get a company with expedient shipping, so I can begin work within the next week or so.

I live with a nervous spasticity/exhaustion dis-ease, and I've only found a handful of botanicals to help in any manner worth mentioning.

The most prized being... Ginseng. Such a holy herb, restoring my function & energy levels. It's like Life's Blood.

With it's exorbitant cost & my need for making a potent medicine, I'm hoping to make an optimized extract via Soxhlet experimentation.

I'm in the middle of moving to another state & delving right into the last of my Alchemy studies, with which I have about 2.5 months to do what would be paced at about 3-4 months.

What I'm saying is...I've got to get that Ginseng on a roll, so that I can focus on finishing my studies.

Any further help would be appreciated.

[__/\__]

Dimitrius said:
I'm in the middle of moving to another state & delving right into the last of my Alchemy studies, with which I have about 2.5 months to do what would be paced at about 3-4 months.

What I'm saying is...I've got to get that Ginseng on a roll, so that I can focus on finishing my studies.
My advice is to buy some ginseng extracts for now, perhaps in bulk to lower the price. Save your time and your energy for finishing your studies and your moving.

Wait until everything has settled down and you have a lot of free time in your new place. Then you can start investing in: knowledge, equipment, a safe lab space, solvents and substrate. It may also take quite some time and effort to learn to work with the tools and to get all the details right on how to operate the equipment best on your target substrate. Starting smaller, ie. with a 100 ml soxhlet might be wise.

Dimitrius said:
What I'm saying is...I've got to get that Ginseng on a roll

Ummm, I'm not sure that's how ginseng works... Also, did you edit your post to remove the type of ginseng you are using? The American & Korean types (Panax) are a different genus from Siberian (Eleutherococcus), with completely different actives, and some clarity would help. There's a good summary here.

Anyway, as with most adaptogens, I think the general advice is not to take it indefinitely. Cycling on/off is usually the preferred route. Doc Buxin would be the man to ask...

Also, are you certain you have a good source for whole roots (to extract)? It's a pretty murky market from what I hear, with pre-extracted roots, and "sweepings" sometimes being offered for resale.

For Korean Ginseng, I've used the Ilhwa brand, with very good results. It's a kind of molasses, in small opaque jars (1 or 2 oz) and certified levels of actives. I'd be surprised if you could surpass the quality of it, at least on your first few outings going the DIY route...

It is how Ginseng works, for me.

I re-wrote my post for other reasons, but yes...I did leave out the American part in American Ginseng, second time around.

I've good sources for most herbs, including Ginseng. From 2-3 year to 30 year roots. I'm good.

I'm familiar with the differences in various adaptogens, as I've experimented with most of them in depth over the past 10 years, from Reishi, to Suma, to Rhodiola to Eleuthero to Panax ginseng to Panax quiquefolius, etc...

Cycling...I find that completely unnecessary.

pitubo said:
Dimitrius said:

My advice is to buy some ginseng extracts for now, perhaps in bulk to lower the price. Save your time and your energy for finishing your studies and your moving.

Wait until everything has settled down and you have a lot of free time in your new place. Then you can start investing in: knowledge, equipment, a safe lab space, solvents and substrate. It may also take quite some time and effort to learn to work with the tools and to get all the details right on how to operate the equipment best on your target substrate. Starting smaller, ie. with a 100 ml soxhlet might be wise.

Thank you, Pitubo.

I feel I could figure it out within a day or two.

- Secure everything
- Fill the thimble with powdered material.
- Fill the flask to about 3//4's [?] full with solvent [I would be using water or 95% alcohol].
- Bring up to temperature & watch it go.

Sounds simple enough.

An overly expensive Ginseng extract will not do. I simply need to optimize my water extraction as a start. Then, perhaps moving into work with alcohol.

Welp....

I found what I need as far as glassware. Just got off the phone with a guy from a company that creates affordable Soxhlets in-house. I'm set there.

Now, just to match up a controller with a mantle.

Not sure if I'm going with 500ml or 1000ml yet, but will this controller work either one of these mantles?

Controller: http://www.amazon.com/TA4-SNR-Therm...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2BC5FKJZ7C4YQ

500ml Mantle: http://www.amazon.com/Glas-Col-100A...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2PHO9VPOOHTWP

1000ml Mantle: Amazon.com

Back
Top Bottom