• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Experiment: Mescaline Citrate solubility in Ethyl Acetate.

SteveBaxter

Esteemed member
I was having difficulty finding solubility data for mescaline citrate in Ethyl Acetate, so I ran an experiment. The mescaline citrate is in the form of fluffy white crystals obtained from CIELO tek and the ethyl acetate is in the form found in the can at any hardware store.

The results are conclusive; mescaline citrate is virtually insoluble in dry ethyl acetate. I weighed out 50 mg of mescaline citrate, and gradually added ethyl acetate until the crystals dissolved completely. Despite adding 465 mL of ethyl acetate, most of the mescaline citrate remained out of solution. The mixture was allowed to sit for 6+ hours (still sitting) to ensure it is in equilibrium.

I could continue this indefinitely if the data is important, but the solubility of mescaline citrate is significantly less than .11 mg/mL in unused ethyl acetate at 73°F.

I plan on running more experiments to determine how much more soluble these crystals are in used ethyl acetate (i.e. ethyl acetate with the max moisture content at room temperature).

This information is practical because it shows that copious amounts of ethyl acetate can be used to remove contaminants from a botched extraction. It also shows that that the salted product isn't meaningfully remaining in solvent.

Attachments

• 50 mg-485 mL dr EA 2.jpg
    50 mg-485 mL dr EA 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 50 mg-485ml dry EA.jpg
    50 mg-485ml dry EA.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I was having difficulty finding solubility data for mescaline citrate in Ethyl Acetate, so I ran an experiment. The mescaline citrate is in the form of fluffy white crystals obtained from CIELO tek and the ethyl acetate is in the form found in the can at any hardware store.

The results are conclusive; mescaline citrate is virtually insoluble in dry ethyl acetate. I weighed out 50 mg of mescaline citrate, and gradually added ethyl acetate until the crystals dissolved completely. Despite adding 465 mL of ethyl acetate, most of the mescaline citrate remained out of solution. The mixture was allowed to sit for 6+ hours (still sitting) to ensure it is in equilibrium.

I could continue this indefinitely if the data is important, but the solubility of mescaline citrate is significantly less than .11 mg/mL in unused ethyl acetate at 73°F.

I plan on running more experiments to determine how much more soluble these crystals are in used ethyl acetate (i.e. ethyl acetate with the max moisture content at room temperature).

This information is practical because it shows that copious amounts of ethyl acetate can be used to remove contaminants from a botched extraction. It also shows that that the salted product isn't meaningfully remaining in solvent.
Thanks for performing this useful piece of research - I think @endlessness may have tested this and reported it in the CIELO entry in the wiki, but that's a rusty memory and even if he did it's still useful to have independent confirmation (y)

And - welcome to the Nexus - nice way to make an entry!

Thanks

I didn't see it on the wiki, and I could not find the information when I was first figuring out the CIELO process.

I was not expecting the solubility to be as low as it is. I am really curious as to what extent water influences the solubility dynamics. I know that fresh EA makes pretty crystals and the crystals from used EA are sad, but I'm really curious as to whats going on and if there is anything I can do about.
Thanks for performing this useful piece of research - I think @endlessness may have tested this and reported it in the CIELO entry in the wiki, but that's a rusty memory and even if he did it's still useful to have independent confirmation (y)

And - welcome to the Nexus - nice way to make an entry!

Thanks

I didn't see it on the wiki, and I could not find the information when I was first figuring out the CIELO process.

I was not expecting the solubility to be as low as it is. I am really curious as to what extent water influences the solubility dynamics. I know that fresh EA makes pretty crystals and the crystals from used EA are sad, but I'm really curious as to whats going on and if there is anything I can do about.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the wiki and didn't have time to read through everything - tbf, it may have been some other conversation with @endlessness where we discussed these results. We'll look at transferring your data into the wiki in due course - unless you manage to sign in and add it yourself, of course.

Thanks for doing this experiment! Do you mean the mescaline citrate dissolved completely, but then it precipitated out over time?

With an extraction last year where I was testing yields, I used an excess of new ethyl acetate when pulling from the cactus paste. After adding the citric acid using the dump and magnetic stir method, it took a few(?) days for all of the mescaline citrate to precipitate out of solution. I've left the ethyl acetate with the mescaline citrate in a sealed mason jar for nearly 10 months, with no apparent change in the volume of the mescaline citrate.

Back
Top Bottom