• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

for passionflower growers...

Migrated topic.

deepsun80

Rising Star
hey all,
I had a question for any nexus members with experience growing passionflowers. I started a couple of passionflowers this spring, and they were doing well until a couple of weeks ago when they got swarmed by little black caterpillars, who are chewing them up at a fast rate. I pick them every now and then but that's not helping, and besides Im going to be away for a while and Im afraid they will consume the plants completely.
If anyone has encountered this problem, and knows a natural remedy for it, I would appreciate the info (i would prefer not to use artificial insecticides).

Things You'll Need:

* 1 cup of chopped orange peels
* ¼ cup of boiling water
* Cheesecloth
* Mist sprayer

Put the orange peels in a blender or food processor. Actually any citrus fruit will work because the caterpillar is repelled by the scent and it has the add advantage of having a pleasant aroma for humans

Step 2

Pour the boiling water over the Orange peels. The boiling water will help to extract the important citrus oils.

Step 3

Liquefy the entire mixture and allow it to sit overnight at room temperature. Cover the mixture to help control evaporation.

Step 4

Strain the mixture through cheesecloth and pour the liquid into a hand held mist sprayer.

Step 5

Fill the remaining space in the sprayer with warm water.

Step 6

Spray your plants. Start at the bottom and enjoy the scent.

hope it helps :)

got it from here: Caterpillar repellant

passion flowers grow like weeds in southern california and seem to have few if any predators. It's probably the only thing in my garden that wants to multiply X100 - no kidding - every year unless it's cut back. The fruits are pretty good, too. I suggest you go to an independent nursery or garden center with a kidnapped catepillar and ask their advice. Most such places these days are very up to date on natural insecticides.

Back
Top Bottom