• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

get rid of chlorophyll with harvest mullein ?

Migrated topic.

xa

Rising Star
I try mullein for changa, and it's a good herb for infuse and unse.....but i found not so good to smoke, and, i think it's for chlorophyll, there's a way to lose chlorophyll ? i harvest mullein some mounth ago and it's dry and croumble and burn well but, i can lose, leave, get rid of chlorophyll at this point ? i think also to soack in alchool and then filter and discard liquid and dry the filtered herbs...but i don' know, there are other method ? or i have to do a procedure when it's fresh harvest ?

This one i have was dryed outside in a shadow and airy place.

I remember when i was a kid we learned in school that when we leave green leaves and the fresh green colour fades away it's a sign that the chlorophyll is gone. Maybe degraded to something that is still harsh to smoke or the plant used it to survive on its last days i'm not sure but according to this there should be no chlorophyll in your leaves.
I think if u soak them with alcohol when they are fresh it will work the alcohol will become green and it will be chlorophyll that gave it the colour

Mine are green now and well dryied, not cured maybe, i feel, when i smoke sign of what i call chlorophyll, maybe, like when you smoke not well cured cannabis...so i think that if i can lose this green color maybe i lose chlorophyll...but maybe i'm wrong and it's the standard taste of mullein that i don't like...but i would try to cure in some way because i love this herb for infuse, crumbple, burn...it's really the base herb for me

I think alcohol will do the work. I use dried peppermint and sometimes i infuse harmalas alone in it the leaves get clearer(maybe less chlorophyll but they will get darker if i add dmt) and there is green residue

yeah, i suppose that acetone will do the same ? alchool here cost too muach and i like to use in more good works...you think that work acetone...anyway i try a little sample...thanks. :)

Yes it will work too i tried it with acetone once. I use alcohol cz i can't find pure acetone and ethanol is cheap here

ok, i'll try...and i have plenty of wild mullein here :) funny herbs :) but....with acetone or other solvent i lose chloropyll but also the goods of the herbs....right ? i would like to lose chlo and take the spirit ;-)

I don't understand this. Mullein was always one of the plants that is very easy to smoke. This plant is actually good to smoke if you have lang problems. It is always big part of the plant mix because of its smoking properties(for example in changa mix). I have never had this problem and never heard this from others. Maybe it is too dry when you smoke it ?

I wouldn't be convinced that it's the chlorophyll that's causing the harshness. You can often get a smoother smoke by wetting it with plain water, letting it dry over a couple of days and then repeating that process a few times. Make sure it doesn't take more than 3 days max to dry otherwise you can get a bit of mildew forming. I had a friend who used to add just a weeny bit of molasses to the water and that gave a nice smoke - maybe there was some kind of fermentation going on.

My freshly picked mullein was dried in a cool dark place for a couple weeks. It is still green and not crumbly at all. It tastes very smooth. Are you sure you have mullein?

I know when curing tobacco you let the leaves air-dry slowly in low-light so that the dying leaf cells disassemble chlorophyll to use for energy, and even after the cells have died the leaves are sometimes left to ferment and age.

There's a similar concept with cannabis curing, I think.

smokerx said:
I don't understand this. Mullein was always one of the plants that is very easy to smoke. This plant is actually good to smoke if you have lang problems. It is always big part of the plant mix because of its smoking properties(for example in changa mix). I have never had this problem and never heard this from others. Maybe it is too dry when you smoke it ?

Ya, man, what's all this? Do you smoke anything else? I'm a pretty avid fan of inhaling smoke, and smoalk, and find mullein to be very mellow and smooth. It actually seems to open my lungs up a little and allow me to hold smoke in for a long time. If you don't smoke weed or tobacco, then it may be different. I'm kinda uhhh, seasoned, so my experience is subjective.

Are you harvesting/smoking the right part of the plant for that purpose?

I buy mullein at an herb store, it is light green, very fluffy and light and kinda furry. There are thick woody stems that i remove before enhancing. I don't have a picture. I highly doubt any chemical process has been applied to it whatsoever, but I'll ask my supplier next time i see her.:thumb_up:

Thanks,
Yes, is mullein, i'm sure, i use young leaves i have also uriped flowers....it's possible that i don't like it, i don't know but has some harsness i think, maybe was not proprely dried...next summer i try again.

IMO "fresh" mullein is harsh too. What you want to look at (basically with everything you want to smoke) is fermentation. Now after fermentation your mullein wont be green anymore but brown, so the chlorophyll is gone. But it wasnt the chlorophyll that caused your discomfort smoking it in the first place, mostly it is carbohydrates and proteins making your smoke harsh, just imagine smoking sugar and tofu, not appealing ? Guess why ;) . Fermentation can deal with both, carbohydrates and proteins, when they are broken down its ready to smoke.
Its always up to experimentation and can be a highly elaborate process, but in general fermentation is easy. Pack your product that is fresh tightly, this will ensure a desirable climate for microbiological activity in your product, also keeping it slightly warm can speed up the process. The organisms that will do the job should already be on your product naturally and should be fine if you arent looking for elaborate experimentation.
If your product is clearly rotten or moldy tho, do not use it, discard and try again using a bit less humidity. Sometimes a genuine way to get the process started if your material is hesitant is making a solution of sugar and water and giving it a light spray. Many containers, especially earthenware ones, can provide and sustain a desirable microclimate without affecting the unique aroma of whatever you want to ferment.

Hope thats a rough guidance. Personally: I ferment all plant material I intend to smoke, there is a reason why cigars are brown and not green ;)

Thanks BubbleCat, this clear my thought, i'll go in this way.
Maybe when you buy mullein it's just well dried and cured and for many it's easy to smoke, take it from the wild it's different, anyway i try this route, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom