• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Help Bottle blowout!!!

chefinart

Rising Star
I need some help I'm not sure how to proceed.
On the secound pull (700ml of soup 50 ml naptha) when the cool bootle hit the warm water the bottom blew out and sent the soup into about three quarts of water.
So the question is can I just evap until I get the original volume of liquid back?
Then proceed as usual?

I think it depends on the quantity of lye used, you’d need about 4liters of vinegar to neutralize a 100 grams of lye, so you might end up with a even larger volume.

I would tos it unless you have a very secure place where you can evaporate slowly for a week or two.

I'd just transfer it all to a larger vessel and keep pushing along. The DMT is already floating around in the soup, so just transfer, add solvent, mix, pull, repeat.

Also, I think that's something that's happened to most of us here. Suggestion for the future: place the jar in the water before you turn on the heat. This means and I'd also suggest, adding your solvent after heating the soup as you never want to have an open heat source around flammable open hydrocarbons.

One love

I would tos it unless you have a very secure place where you can evaporate slowly for a week or two.
Vinegar evaps quite nice in a very well vented place.

Never combine open fire with solvents, take this to heart!

Pipette the naphtha where you can find it, and see this as great moment to learn from what happened here: better glassware, better (slower) heat/cold transition. Look at what you dit right and be very honest about yourself what make this go wrong. Reflecting and mistakes make for great learning oppertunities.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Unfortunate, but also something I experienced many years ago while attempting to warm the soup in a sweet (candy) jar. The water bath was simply too hot and the type of jar was not suited to thermal stress. We've both been fortunate in the same way too, in that the water bath was large enough to save the soup. IME, the dilution is not too much of a problem and you can carry on with retrieving at least the current pull, and maybe even a few more if that doesn't prove too inconvenient.

Even if the larger surface area makes pipetting off the naphtha difficult, you can afford to be a bit sloppy about it if you have a couple of jugs to put the naphtha into, sequentially, before transferring to the freeze precip dish. The first jug catches the soup excess from the messy naphtha pulls, the second jug gives extra leeway when separating the naphtha onward before finally transferring it into the freeze precip dish.

One more trick when faced with a thin layer of naphtha on a wide suface area is to lower an inverted funnel into the soup. This gathers the naphtha together into a deeper layer within the confines of the funnel neck, whence it can be pipetted out more cleanly. Repeat if necessary.

Also, small naphtha remnants in the soup are nothing to worry about since they mostly get recovered in the subsequent pulls.

Back
Top Bottom