• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Heptane Wash

Feel like if I would reuse, i would need to keep covered until room temperature in order for the water condensation to neutralize?.. Also, the heptane has become a white, creamy liquid, almost as if there is a concentration of something…. Possibly water condensation? Was held in a glass dish with a seal and locking lid.

sorry i do not understand the part with water condensation.
if you want to reuse the solvent then you freeze the solvent, seperate xtals with a filter paper then store the solvent again.

i do not know about heptane becomeing white and creamy.
prefering to have 1 bottle with clean solvent, 1 with used but not dirty solvent and 1 bottle with dirty solvent.
the dirty solvents can be cleaned with coal i think.
there should be a link to the forum page for cleaning solvents.

If it was me it would be naturally

sorry i do not understand the part with water condensation.
if you want to reuse the solvent then you freeze the solvent, seperate xtals with a filter paper then store the solvent again.

i do not know about heptane becomeing white and creamy.
prefering to have 1 bottle with clean solvent, 1 with used but not dirty solvent and 1 bottle with dirty solvent.
the dirty solvents can be cleaned with coal i think.
there should be a link to the forum page for cleaning solvents.
Unfortunately humidity is a terrible factor. When removing covered dish from freezer, it instantly becomes covered in moisture to the point that water droplets have covered the dish. If one where to uncover dish before reaching room temperature, would water condensation inside the dish happen just as the outside does, therefore contaminating with water the goods?..

Unfortunately humidity is a terrible factor. When removing covered dish from freezer, it instantly becomes covered in moisture to the point that water droplets have covered the dish. If one where to uncover dish before reaching room temperature, would water condensation inside the dish happen just as the outside does, therefore contaminating with water the goods?..
Yes - this is the main reason why it's suggested to pour the naphtha/heptane off quickly, then replace the lid of the precipitation vessel, before placing it back into the freezer either on its side or upside down so that the naphtha remnants can drain off without condensation forming on the inside of the vessel, and also so that the naphtha remnants stay as cold as possible, thereby minimising the amount of DMT that gets lost during the draining process.

Yes - this is the main reason why it's suggested to pour the naphtha/heptane off quickly, then replace the lid of the precipitation vessel, before placing it back into the freezer either on its side or upside down so that the naphtha remnants can drain off without condensation forming on the inside of the vessel, and also so that the naphtha remnants stay as cold as possible, thereby minimising the amount of DMT that gets lost during the draining process.
Now that is making good sense! Thanks a ton

This is interesting 🧐
Now I see why people are talking about evaporating their solvent before freeze precipitation. The concentration of dmt in that nps will be so low, it's no wonder almost nothing will precipitate.
I purchased 1l of heptane in November last year and have performed multiple extractions with it since then. There is still around half of it left.
Evaporating large quantities of solvent just seems like a waste to me.

I use glass cooling dishes, and as soon as they are out of the freezer I hold them in front of a strong fan for ten seconds, then carefully run water over the outside to warm the glass up to minimise condensation, then it's back to the fan, while using paper towel to mop up the moisture on the inner walls. Works very well, and I have dry crystals in a dry bowl within a few minutes.

that looks like a lot of solvent.
how much soup and solvent is in the jar?
1/3 of the jar being solvent feels too much imo.

how long was the solvent in the jar?
is there an emulsion layer visible in the bottom of the solvent?
that was the third and final pull. The photo definitely makes it look more than there is! However, the issue is what is happening with that white emulsion layer?!

Back
Top Bottom