• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Hotter bath = more jungle?

Migrated topic.

hexagonomicon

Rising Star
Second extraction ever. First time crystals were very white, second time they were very yellow! Only difference was the temperatures of the water bath. When the naptha was mixed with the plant/lye sludge it was agitated and set in a hot water bath for each pull. The first time temps were around ~110F, the second time they were probably ~180F+ (just a an educated guess).

I'm thinking that the higher temps allowed the oils to be more soluble in the naptha thus extracting more of it. Or perhaps the heat caused oxidation?

Also, pulls were done slightly longer the second time, but I don't think that was the major factor.

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

The hotter the solvent (and basified mimosa wine) the more oils that get pulled over.

Raising the temperatuer of any solvent will increase the amount that is able to dissolve.

Think salt and water. how much salt can you dissolve in 100ml of ice cold water? How much can you dissolve in boiling water?

Same principal here.

True, that's what I thought. We did get higher yields with the higher temps, but part of me thinks that the extra weight is from the oils alone, and that there is not a significant increase in the yield of DMT. We washed each pull with a ~8.5pH sodium carbonate solution once, and then twice with distilled water, it still came out very yellow.

I'm not really worried about it. It still looks a lot nicer than the dark orange stuff I've bought before. I had some issues with recrystallization last time and don't really feel like doing that again. I'm pretty sure it's unnecessary anyways.

Next time we will just try and keep the temps a little bit lower and aim for white crystals.

Back
Top Bottom