• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

I am writing a book that includes a DMT trip but I have never done DMT. Is this "wrong"?

Maddd_Maxxx

Rising Star
I'll try to elaborate as much as I can, but I am very happy to be here! I just finished Rick Strassman's book, "DMT: The Spirit Molecule", and I am so happy to find something that is pointing me in the right direction of my spiritual journey. I believe it is towards where I want to go, but as a new psychonaut, I am not emotionally ready for it.

When I experience the otherwordly or try to prepare for a mystical experience, I process my thoughts through writing and illustration. I am autistic, and I have found that fictional characters are a great source of comfort when I am diving into experiences I don't understand. I am currently writing a novel called God's Love that follows a young man named Jason that meets an entity called Engine during a trip. He only goes on one or two trips and the rest of the novel is about how he processes the experience. DMT is intended to be the spur for his exploration with his place in the universe, and I am using my own experiences with spirituality to illustrate this. The beginning of the book describes his trip, which I have based on DMT trip reports and my own experience with shrooms, high doses of THC-P that allowed me to meet an entity, and dreams that feel beyond real. I went to another forum to ask about other people's encounters with DMT entities because I want the story to be as realistic to the actual experience as possible. However, I was told that I shouldn't be writing this story if I have never done DMT.

I am not trying to be sensitive, but for some reason I just feel very, very alone now. While everyone on the forum was direct but not rude about their stance, I still feel somewhat distanced from the spiritual community. I don't intend to demonize DMT or psychedelics with this novel. Psychedelics have saved my life, and I have learned more about who we are in the last year than I have in my entire life.

I believe I am just reaching out for some sort of comfort. I want to find a group of people that I can talk about everything with and not feel crazy or judged. I don't want to do a disservice to the psychonaut community with God's Love, so I would appreciate honest opinions. I also don't want to push myself to do something I am not ready for so I can write a story.

Thank you everyone, and if you want me to explain anything better, please let me know.

Hi there and Welcome 🙏

Nothing wrong with writing about the DMT experience, many writers of fiction have never experienced what they write about, so why would you?

My advice would be to read through the experience reports and see if that helps, if you really want to dive deep in the stories that are formed with tryptamines I recommend you read this Opti and I
In my opinion it’s the most interesting report I’ve read on very deep traveling into some of the spaces that are hidden in the tryptamine space.

Good luck with your book and if you want some feedback on specific parts of the story that involve DMT I’m more than happy to help out and proofread.

Hey @Maddd_Maxxx :) welcome!

Firstly, I agree with @Varallo and see no wrong in writing about DMT in your novel without having tried it. I'm confused why people would take issue with this.. If anything it might add a unique quality to the story telling.

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling alone right now and that you feel distanced from the community and I hope you can feel comfortable engaging with us here.. we're mostly a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure many will be interested to hear your ideas. Are there other reasons you feel distanced from the psychedelic community? Is this also in real life or are you just referring to the internet forums?

Also, it is totally normal to feel a little trepid about trying DMT - it has a reputation for being earth shatteringly powerful - a reputation that is well and truly earned. That said, more often than not I think people are pleasantly surprised by the feeling of DMT.. but there's definitely no rush to go there! It sounds like you've already cultivated a great deal of respect for DMT, and when you finally try it I imagine something beautiful awaits you.

I love the name Engine for the entity.. can you tell us more about this being as well as the main character of your book? And yes feel free to post anything for proof reading or general feedback here. We have art, music and literature section under the Culture and Society heading if you scroll down the home page.

Hi there and Welcome 🙏

Nothing wrong with writing about the DMT experience, many writers of fiction have never experienced what they write about, so why would you?

My advice would be to read through the experience reports and see if that helps, if you really want to dive deep in the stories that are formed with tryptamines I recommend you read this Opti and I
In my opinion it’s the most interesting report I’ve read on very deep traveling into some of the spaces that are hidden in the tryptamine space.

Good luck with your book and if you want some feedback on specific parts of the story that involve DMT I’m more than happy to help out and proofread.
Thank you so much for your welcome! I was also thinking the same thing about how fiction writers can write about things they have experienced before, so I felt very thrown off by folks’ comments. I will look over that report throughout today! I looks very detailed, and I love highly detailed reports.

And I will definitely reach out for a proofread at some point!

Hey @Maddd_Maxxx :) welcome!

Firstly, I agree with @Varallo and see no wrong in writing about DMT in your novel without having tried it. I'm confused why people would take issue with this.. If anything it might add a unique quality to the story telling.

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling alone right now and that you feel distanced from the community and I hope you can feel comfortable engaging with us here.. we're mostly a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure many will be interested to hear your ideas. Are there other reasons you feel distanced from the psychedelic community? Is this also in real life or are you just referring to the internet forums?

Also, it is totally normal to feel a little trepid about trying DMT - it has a reputation for being earth shatteringly powerful - a reputation that is well and truly earned. That said, more often than not I think people are pleasantly surprised by the feeling of DMT.. but there's definitely no rush to go there! It sounds like you've already cultivated a great deal of respect for DMT, and when you finally try it I imagine something beautiful awaits you.

I love the name Engine for the entity.. can you tell us more about this being as well as the main character of your book? And yes feel free to post anything for proof reading or general feedback here. We have art, music and literature section under the Culture and Society heading if you scroll down the home page.
Thank you, I really appreciate the kindness! I’ve just felt distanced from the community in general, online and IRL. I work at a smoke shop, and most of the psychonauts I speak with typically do it for recreation use, not spiritual. I’ve wanted to talk to people who are searching for more like I am, and it just has genuinely been a bit of a struggle. I’ve found it surprising considering the community is based around substances that induce ego death and encourage us to grow or face challenges. Some psychonauts act like they are better than everyone else and that confuses me. I realized recently I might just be looking in the wrong place. I want to speak to people that entertain that there might be countless possibilities and nothing is an inherently “wrong” idea. I’ve also always been very interested in the nonhuman, including aliens, animals, and angels. When I heard people can meet entities through DMT, I was immediately interested. I love the idea what we can talk to things that know more than us and have relationships with them.

And thank you for sharing my respect for DMT. I want to make sure I am fully prepared when I do go in, and I know it is always rule #1 in travels to be emotionally ready to take on the trip. Strassman’s book really put me in my place and advised me to approach with caution but also curiosity.

I absolutely adore Engine! They are an entity that finds Jason when he enters his first DMT trip. I would love to meet someone like Engine. Jason is a psychonaut in his mid-twenties that is searching for just any answer to what reality is. He has followed religions, been atheist, meditated, and now his search has come to psychedelics. He’s done shrooms and believes he can take on DMT, but he goes in too deep over his head. He calls Engine “Engine” because of the sound it makes, and the closest thing I can imagine it to is the TARDIS landing. There is also a song called “Colorful Clouds” by Ascent, Shogan, and Liquid Sound that I feel captures Engine’s energy. Engine is incredibly protective of Jason, and I am currently writing a scene where Engine protects Jason from an entity that attempts to consume him. Engine is serious but also very, very funny and loves to laugh. I imagine that it is content where it is in the universe, but it would also love to manifest itself on earth as a human and experience all aspects of humanity to its fullest, including the good and bad. Engine would definitely be a metalhead and Metallica fan. It finds great happiness in “mortal” things and gets excited when humans visit.

I don’t know exactly how to describe Engine’s appearance. This is definitely the hardest part of making a DMT entity character. All I know is that Engine is massive, kind of like a starship. It has a lot of shapes within its form, especially spades, and it hangs out in its own “room”. It does not leave this space unless it is to retrieve a human that is being attacked.

Here is Jason’s first encounter with Engine:

Jason’s hands tremble as the pipe settles between his fingers. His heart palpitates and parades in his chest. The excitement revs as the mouthpiece joins his lips and the sparkling crackle of the light flares before him. The flame lowers into the bowl, igniting the yellowish crystals. A peculiar smell, like a car spinning its tires over concrete, fills Jason’s nostrils as he inhales. As the psychedelic fog roams in his lungs and around his tongue, he glances about, admiring the familiar pulsing patterns that extend over his vision. Memories of magic mushrooms flood his mind.
A deep exhale surges up from his diaphragm as he leans back into his headboard, listening to the oak frame lightly tap against the wall. The kaleidoscope before him blesses all the objects in the room, falling upon them like shafts of sunlight. A small smile falls across his face as the light show continues, growing ever more so rapid and complicated. Shapes split from each other, birthing more glorious patterns that funnel down a long tunnel.
A bit of dread settles.
Whirring, like an extended squeal of train brakes, loops around Jason in a bizarre way. It is equally before him, around him, and inside him. It is him. Odd echoes of a choir belt out in the hastening bombardment, groaning and cheering in acapella.
“What did I do?” Jason mutters before reality caves in.
The walls of the bedroom breathe and wrinkle and ripple as they spread apart to rush Jason into a brilliant spiral, and it eats and devours human reality. A nauseating prismatic image bellows out as he dives deeper into the uncontrollable, organized yet not, chaos.
Jason’s humanity struggles to claw back down the path, eager to rejoin his body and the familiar comforts of a warm bed, a friend just a couple floors away, and even the occasional back pain. It is normal. The trash truck beeping and rumbling down the street every Wednesday morning is normal. Wednesday is normal. God, he loves his calendar. Time. Time is so normal. A beeping watch. A planned date. His boss bitching he arrived two minutes late.
Normal. Human. But those things don’t matter nor exist here. No one here gives a damn about time because they are time. Or maybe they are outside of time. Without time??
A powerful wave of distress billows through, and the colors convulse and dissipate into a room, filled with infinite columns and mirrors and energy beyond words. It whips around and around and around before something snags on, holding the undulating world still as it continues to vibrate and pulse and split into yet another something. A gentle, rhythmic chug, like a tornado moseying across a Kansas plain, drifts in, announcing the presence of an entity. The chugs evolve into an infinite loop of revving, mechanical roars. Chug…CHug…CHUG…rrrrAAAAAA…RRRRAAAAAAA….
A soft pound of kindness empties into the space. Messages without a clear source or voice emanates out and about and sifts through the bludgeoning spiral of shapes, slowing their movements as it courses towards. They are spontaneous understandings, living outside the need for sentences and vocabulary.
Are you okay?
Jason feels himself hook onto an ounce of self. No. I am so, so scared right now. Now? Is there a now?
Not really. But don’t be scared. It’s different. But different isn’t scary. Who were you? It knows who he is. It just wants him to tell it.
Were? Oh my God, I’m dead!
The space shudders and ruptures into a downpour of white and blue, clashing and dividing and splashing as an obnoxious symphony of groans and shrieks runs amok. A hot blast of fear shocks the fabric, but something siphons the sparkling away, bringing Jason back.
You’re not dead. You are still very much alive. In your human body. Can you tell me who you were before you came here?
I don’t know. I just appeared here.
That’s okay. You don’t have to remember, but you will when you go back. But you are here, and that is okay. I am here with you.
Please help me.
What’s wrong?
I’m scared. I made a horrible mistake.
What did you do?
I think I killed myself. This is more than I thought would happen.
Here, I can help.

The randomized colors and pounding veins of light and sound and speech emit a haunting creak and they shift away, pulling Jason into a black void.
No! Come back. I don’t want to go anywhere else.
It is okay. I am still here, but now you can rest your mind.

Jason’s visuals rotate in the psychedelic space, and a soft chill ventures around him as he observes the velvet darkness. The entity’s housing has pushed away, as if he is now watching a film in a space between worlds. The dimension beyond alters its colors, focusing more on bright shots of purple and swirling panels of green and pink. Jason senses another being enter alongside the other, and they “exchange words”. Jason senses the messages, but the exact details are far beyond reach yet almost audible, as if they are conversing behind a thin film of plastic. The newcomer leaves, its energy fading off as it shifts through a “wall”.
What’s your name? Jason asks.
A blast of rickety sounds, like a shrieking, cawing crow, ripples and echoes, the tail end of the belts shivering into a pulsing whine. SKREEya, SKREEya-chic-chic-chic, SKREEya. While the sound itself is alien, it delivers a familiar sensation. It reminds Jason of when he was around four, just developing his sentience, and he was riding in his father’s beaten pickup. The truck had carried them on countless adventures, to the local supermarket to the silent shores of the beach. He had gandered up at the moon and asked why it was following them.
His father smirked under his hammer bar mustache and scratched the glowing bald spot at the back of his head. He laughed heartily. “It isn’t. It’s just so far away that it doesn’t really look like it is moving.”
Jason kicked his shoes, watching Spiderman erupt in a series of sparkles as the red LEDs in his sneakers activated. “How far away is it?”
“Very, very far. Like how Mars is really far away.”
“Like in the telescope?”
“Just like in the telescope.”
The entity didn’t condemn his question. It was so innocent to it, finding interest in his ignorance but not claiming he was stupid.
You can call me whatever you want. I don’t have a name. Names don’t exist here.
Then what do you call each other?

A warm electricity envelopes Jason as he drifts into the comfortable darkness, and a muted peace fills him, pushing out against his existence intensely but not uncomfortably. It cares for him so, so much. Unbelievably so. It is focusing on so many things right now, including other places, dimensions, areas in this space, and even physical manifestations. It is a flea right now but also a black hole devouring a nearby starcluster. Nearby? Not nearby. Nearby to this entity, though. Space is not an obstacle to travel. Nothing is. But even with everything it tends to, it still has its full attention on Jason. There is no separation of focus.
The feeling fades.
That is what they call me, and what I call myself.
Are you God?

A flurry of chuckles comenses again, and the joyous sound raids the void, resonating with the molecules and other things passing through Jason. Goodness, no. God is everything, not just me or you. The both of us together are closer to being God than apart. I am very pleased to have met you.
The dimension window starts to pull away, and a bright whirring floods Jason again. A chrysanthemum of spinning petals and dots and shards envelops the blackness, pulling Jason far, far away.
No, wait! I still want to talk to you. Panic settles in again, and his consciousness reaches back out, trying to force himself away from his human body.
I am always here, even without the DMT. It is time to go back, Jason.

Hi there and Welcome 🙏

Just read about Opti, and I thank you so much for sharing. I’ve briefly thought about creatures that are manifested in the mind, but I never explored the idea in depth like this trip report. It is a very, very interesting concept, and I appreciate that it stretches outside our current model of what “life” looks like. Also love how Opti reached out to a human for help. The more trip reports I read, the more I see that either side can request help or be curious about the other. I feel like everyone, whether they be humans or elves, wants to hear from the other about our universe.

I’ve always believed we are all one in the same because of what we all are at our cores. We can all be broken up into our molecules, which have atoms, which are just groupings of negative, positive, and neutral electrical charges. We are all energy, but an “organism” has always been understood as an electrical being that has used its energy to produce molecules that build tissues, neurotransmitters, etc. I’ve definitely thought about organisms that are just energy, not definite matter, but I have not explored the idea of a creature that lives in consciousness and at the fringes of what is “real”.

Thank you again :)

I don't like it. Feels like watching the whitelady breakdancing at the olympics or seeing people get the mullet i did 5 years ago. Because you haven't done dmt you are culturally appropriating certain aspects of lives you haven't lived. I would suggest naming your drug something else. or perhaps something not drug related at all is able to launch your character through a transformative expierience to encounter this engine entity. Not to discourage you from writing, but that is kind of like if I wrote a book from a woman's perspective on the politics of gender roles, or if i were to write a book from the perspective of an inner city african american man dealing with the realities of urban decay, while I myself am a white man from rural farmland and higher socioeconomic background. I am not going to lie to you, i've told you straight, while I may be wrong and eliteist for my views they are mine.

@SpiceCowboy what culture or practice do you feel is being appropriated here?

@Maddd_Maxxx Do you know the name Tom Clancy? He has written a metic sh*t ton of military and combat novels (I think that's all he writes), including his possibly most famous, Rainbow Six. Guess what. He's never been in the military (due to his nearsightedness). However, he's been a speaker at certain military classes and functions, including at Langley if i remember correctly.

@Maddd_Maxxx your concern is valid and understandable and it's refreshing to see. In some contexts I can see how what you're doing could appear "wrong," For example if you were writing about deep sea diving and never mentioned anything about nitrogen narcosis. The other thing is that the DMT experience is so wild and varied that you may, through happenstance, synchronicity, or irony, describe an experience that fits very much into the the experience of someone who has been there.

One love

I am not going to lie to you, i've told you straight, while I may be wrong and eliteist for my views they are mine.
So this is interesting, and it feels like you’re halfway through a reflection on your statement as you’re well aware of being wrong and eliteist?

There’s no reason you need to have lived through something to write about it. If we followed that logic, most fiction and fantasy wouldn’t exist. Let alone other arts. Writers build entire worlds, characters, and situations they’ve never personally experienced. I mean do you really need to have been through war, flown to space, or endured every possible hardship to write about it?

In my experience psychedelic experiences or spiritual journeys in books often stand in for much bigger emotional or psychological transformations. These don’t have to mirror real-life trips exactly nor is there such a thing. Suggesting that only those who have taken a certain drug can write about it is nonsense. Art, whether in writing or other forms, is in many ways exploring beyond what the artist, has personally lived.

Last edited:
Not to discourage you from writing, but that is kind of like if I wrote a book from a woman's perspective on the politics of gender roles, or if i were to write a book from the perspective of an inner city african american man dealing with the realities of urban decay, while I myself am a white man from rural farmland and higher socioeconomic background.
Well, Star Wars shouldn't exist because Lucas doesn't wield the force nor has he traveled to a galaxy far far away...😂

Mad Max shouldn't exist because the world has never been that way.

Every WWII movie should exist then because people writing those movies weren't there...

At least according to your rationale.

There's a book (name escapes me presently, which is unfortunate because I liked it a lot) of experimental fiction that follows the rumination and stream of consciousness of a woman who claims to be the last person on earth. It's entirely a woman's perspective... it's written by a man...

American Gangster was written by two white males, but myself being black, feel they depicted the struggle of other black people in Harlem in that time period pretty well. Granted, how do I know, I wasn't alive in that time period 😉

David Foster Wallace also portrays black people and their plight, albeit, not in the best of light, but it still gets to the point (it's how he writes the dialogue that skews it for me, not so much the content).

OP also said that it's a small fragment of their story, a catalyst for what the story is really focused on. So it's not like they'll get a lot wrong in their depiction like Law & Order SVU did in two episodes. 😂

Given your rationale and your staunchness, I'm curious about your feelings about documentaries. Should a white guy that wants to do a documentary on African peoole not do it? That would be an overall detriment seeing as for long time it was only white men that really had the opportunity to do so.

Should Ron Eglash, a white Jewish man, not have written African Fractals?

One love

Last edited:
Well, Star Wars shouldn't exist because Lucas doesn't wield the force nor has he traveled to a galaxy far far away...😂

Mad Max shouldn't exist because the world has never been that way.

Every WWII movie should exist then because people writing those movies weren't there...

At least according to your rationale.

There's a book (name escapes me presently, which is unfortunate because I liked it a lot) of experimental fiction that follows the rumination and stream of consciousness of a woman who claims to be the last person on earth. It's entirely a woman's perspective... it's written by a man...

American Gangster was written by two white males, but myself being black, feel they depicted the struggle of other black people in Harlem in that time period pretty well. Granted, how do I know, I wasn't alive in that time period 😉

David Foster Wallace also portrays black people and their plight, albeit, not in the best of light, but it still gets to the point (it's how he writes the dialogue that skews it for me, not so much the content).

OP also said that it's a small fragment of their story, a catalyst for what the story is really focused on. So it's not like they'll get a lot wrong in their depiction like Law & Order SVU did in two episodes. 😂

Given your rationale and your staunchness, I'm curious about your feelings about documentaries. Should a white guy that wants to do a documentary on African not do it? That would be an overall detriment seeing as for long time it was only white men that really had the opportunity to do so.

Should Ron Eglash, a white Jewish man, not have written African Fractals?

One love
To exand upon that thought, yes while all of the above thoughts are accurate depictions of people's ideas they are just that, depictions. They would not be as good as any first hand sources takes on the subject matter.

To exand upon that thought, yes while all of the above thoughts are accurate depictions of people's ideas they are just that, depictions. They would not be as good as any first hand sources takes on the subject matter.
Not being as good as firsthand experiences doesn't make them not good enough for a good story :)

I think there’s a misunderstanding of how literature and storytelling work. To reduce fiction to only writing about what one has personally experienced, or as if a story is a mere depiction of an observation, is a gross misrepresentation of what literature is.

I think there’s a misunderstanding of how literature and storytelling work. To reduce fiction to only writing about what one has personally experienced, or as if a story is a mere depiction of an observation, is a gross misrepresentation of what literature is.
We usually call that a documentary or autobiography. 🤔

I'm actually extremely curious what a person would write about DMT in a fictional story while never having experienced it.

Good writers can take your mind anywhere, so it's up to the skill of the OP on how well this will go (no pressure 😁).

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Appreciate everyone's responses!

@Voidmatrix I have heard of Tom Clancy! Read some of his work in school. I get where @SpiceCowboy is coming from, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "cultural appropriation". Cultural appropriation is more about taking someone's culture and demeaning it (i.e. Shannon Blake and ayahuasca retreats). In the case of her, she definitely sees DMT as a recreational drug, not a spiritual tool. She is all about performance and capitalizing off of spiritual traditions. Jason in God's Love puts great respect towards DMT and does not abuse it for the sake of a "thrill" or to relieve boredom. Now if I romanticized a character doing that, we would definitely have a problem on our hands. BUT I am also a white person trying to define cultural appropriation and just going off the textbook definition. There is probably more nuance I am not aware of and would love to be informed if so.

But this is a very interesting and elaborate convo and would love to keep hearing from folks!

I also put a segment of God's Love up on the 6th, but don't know if anyone is seeing it. 😅

Thank you, I really appreciate the kindness! I’ve just felt distanced from the community in general, online and IRL. I work at a smoke shop, and most of the psychonauts I speak with typically do it for recreation use, not spiritual. I’ve wanted to talk to people who are searching for more like I am, and it just has genuinely been a bit of a struggle. I’ve found it surprising considering the community is based around substances that induce ego death and encourage us to grow or face challenges. Some psychonauts act like they are better than everyone else and that confuses me. I realized recently I might just be looking in the wrong place. I want to speak to people that entertain that there might be countless possibilities and nothing is an inherently “wrong” idea. I’ve also always been very interested in the nonhuman, including aliens, animals, and angels. When I heard people can meet entities through DMT, I was immediately interested. I love the idea what we can talk to things that know more than us and have relationships with them.

And thank you for sharing my respect for DMT. I want to make sure I am fully prepared when I do go in, and I know it is always rule #1 in travels to be emotionally ready to take on the trip. Strassman’s book really put me in my place and advised me to approach with caution but also curiosity.

I absolutely adore Engine! They are an entity that finds Jason when he enters his first DMT trip. I would love to meet someone like Engine. Jason is a psychonaut in his mid-twenties that is searching for just any answer to what reality is. He has followed religions, been atheist, meditated, and now his search has come to psychedelics. He’s done shrooms and believes he can take on DMT, but he goes in too deep over his head. He calls Engine “Engine” because of the sound it makes, and the closest thing I can imagine it to is the TARDIS landing. There is also a song called “Colorful Clouds” by Ascent, Shogan, and Liquid Sound that I feel captures Engine’s energy. Engine is incredibly protective of Jason, and I am currently writing a scene where Engine protects Jason from an entity that attempts to consume him. Engine is serious but also very, very funny and loves to laugh. I imagine that it is content where it is in the universe, but it would also love to manifest itself on earth as a human and experience all aspects of humanity to its fullest, including the good and bad. Engine would definitely be a metalhead and Metallica fan. It finds great happiness in “mortal” things and gets excited when humans visit.

I don’t know exactly how to describe Engine’s appearance. This is definitely the hardest part of making a DMT entity character. All I know is that Engine is massive, kind of like a starship. It has a lot of shapes within its form, especially spades, and it hangs out in its own “room”. It does not leave this space unless it is to retrieve a human that is being attacked.

Here is Jason’s first encounter with Engine:

Jason’s hands tremble as the pipe settles between his fingers. His heart palpitates and parades in his chest. The excitement revs as the mouthpiece joins his lips and the sparkling crackle of the light flares before him. The flame lowers into the bowl, igniting the yellowish crystals. A peculiar smell, like a car spinning its tires over concrete, fills Jason’s nostrils as he inhales. As the psychedelic fog roams in his lungs and around his tongue, he glances about, admiring the familiar pulsing patterns that extend over his vision. Memories of magic mushrooms flood his mind.
A deep exhale surges up from his diaphragm as he leans back into his headboard, listening to the oak frame lightly tap against the wall. The kaleidoscope before him blesses all the objects in the room, falling upon them like shafts of sunlight. A small smile falls across his face as the light show continues, growing ever more so rapid and complicated. Shapes split from each other, birthing more glorious patterns that funnel down a long tunnel.
A bit of dread settles.
Whirring, like an extended squeal of train brakes, loops around Jason in a bizarre way. It is equally before him, around him, and inside him. It is him. Odd echoes of a choir belt out in the hastening bombardment, groaning and cheering in acapella.
“What did I do?” Jason mutters before reality caves in.
The walls of the bedroom breathe and wrinkle and ripple as they spread apart to rush Jason into a brilliant spiral, and it eats and devours human reality. A nauseating prismatic image bellows out as he dives deeper into the uncontrollable, organized yet not, chaos.
Jason’s humanity struggles to claw back down the path, eager to rejoin his body and the familiar comforts of a warm bed, a friend just a couple floors away, and even the occasional back pain. It is normal. The trash truck beeping and rumbling down the street every Wednesday morning is normal. Wednesday is normal. God, he loves his calendar. Time. Time is so normal. A beeping watch. A planned date. His boss bitching he arrived two minutes late.
Normal. Human. But those things don’t matter nor exist here. No one here gives a damn about time because they are time. Or maybe they are outside of time. Without time??
A powerful wave of distress billows through, and the colors convulse and dissipate into a room, filled with infinite columns and mirrors and energy beyond words. It whips around and around and around before something snags on, holding the undulating world still as it continues to vibrate and pulse and split into yet another something. A gentle, rhythmic chug, like a tornado moseying across a Kansas plain, drifts in, announcing the presence of an entity. The chugs evolve into an infinite loop of revving, mechanical roars. Chug…CHug…CHUG…rrrrAAAAAA…RRRRAAAAAAA….
A soft pound of kindness empties into the space. Messages without a clear source or voice emanates out and about and sifts through the bludgeoning spiral of shapes, slowing their movements as it courses towards. They are spontaneous understandings, living outside the need for sentences and vocabulary.
Are you okay?
Jason feels himself hook onto an ounce of self. No. I am so, so scared right now. Now? Is there a now?
Not really. But don’t be scared. It’s different. But different isn’t scary. Who were you? It knows who he is. It just wants him to tell it.
Were? Oh my God, I’m dead!
The space shudders and ruptures into a downpour of white and blue, clashing and dividing and splashing as an obnoxious symphony of groans and shrieks runs amok. A hot blast of fear shocks the fabric, but something siphons the sparkling away, bringing Jason back.
You’re not dead. You are still very much alive. In your human body. Can you tell me who you were before you came here?
I don’t know. I just appeared here.
That’s okay. You don’t have to remember, but you will when you go back. But you are here, and that is okay. I am here with you.
Please help me.
What’s wrong?
I’m scared. I made a horrible mistake.
What did you do?
I think I killed myself. This is more than I thought would happen.
Here, I can help.

The randomized colors and pounding veins of light and sound and speech emit a haunting creak and they shift away, pulling Jason into a black void.
No! Come back. I don’t want to go anywhere else.
It is okay. I am still here, but now you can rest your mind.

Jason’s visuals rotate in the psychedelic space, and a soft chill ventures around him as he observes the velvet darkness. The entity’s housing has pushed away, as if he is now watching a film in a space between worlds. The dimension beyond alters its colors, focusing more on bright shots of purple and swirling panels of green and pink. Jason senses another being enter alongside the other, and they “exchange words”. Jason senses the messages, but the exact details are far beyond reach yet almost audible, as if they are conversing behind a thin film of plastic. The newcomer leaves, its energy fading off as it shifts through a “wall”.
What’s your name? Jason asks.
A blast of rickety sounds, like a shrieking, cawing crow, ripples and echoes, the tail end of the belts shivering into a pulsing whine. SKREEya, SKREEya-chic-chic-chic, SKREEya. While the sound itself is alien, it delivers a familiar sensation. It reminds Jason of when he was around four, just developing his sentience, and he was riding in his father’s beaten pickup. The truck had carried them on countless adventures, to the local supermarket to the silent shores of the beach. He had gandered up at the moon and asked why it was following them.
His father smirked under his hammer bar mustache and scratched the glowing bald spot at the back of his head. He laughed heartily. “It isn’t. It’s just so far away that it doesn’t really look like it is moving.”
Jason kicked his shoes, watching Spiderman erupt in a series of sparkles as the red LEDs in his sneakers activated. “How far away is it?”
“Very, very far. Like how Mars is really far away.”
“Like in the telescope?”
“Just like in the telescope.”
The entity didn’t condemn his question. It was so innocent to it, finding interest in his ignorance but not claiming he was stupid.
You can call me whatever you want. I don’t have a name. Names don’t exist here.
Then what do you call each other?

A warm electricity envelopes Jason as he drifts into the comfortable darkness, and a muted peace fills him, pushing out against his existence intensely but not uncomfortably. It cares for him so, so much. Unbelievably so. It is focusing on so many things right now, including other places, dimensions, areas in this space, and even physical manifestations. It is a flea right now but also a black hole devouring a nearby starcluster. Nearby? Not nearby. Nearby to this entity, though. Space is not an obstacle to travel. Nothing is. But even with everything it tends to, it still has its full attention on Jason. There is no separation of focus.
The feeling fades.
That is what they call me, and what I call myself.
Are you God?

A flurry of chuckles comenses again, and the joyous sound raids the void, resonating with the molecules and other things passing through Jason. Goodness, no. God is everything, not just me or you. The both of us together are closer to being God than apart. I am very pleased to have met you.
The dimension window starts to pull away, and a bright whirring floods Jason again. A chrysanthemum of spinning petals and dots and shards envelops the blackness, pulling Jason far, far away.
No, wait! I still want to talk to you. Panic settles in again, and his consciousness reaches back out, trying to force himself away from his human body.
I am always here, even without the DMT. It is time to go back, Jason.
@Maddd_Maxxx I think you are onto something really special here! Your descriptions are incredibly vivid and enjoyable to read. For an experience you've not yet had, I'd say you do a pretty good job of capturing some core elements of smoking DMT. I can definitely relate to your descriptions of Jason's emotions as he is lighting up the pipe.. you did that really well..

I'm not going to go into the cultural appropriation thing too much as it's been well covered - other than to say I think that argument falls down pretty quickly as soon as you apply it to any activity we aren't personally versed in. While fiction can be based on certain truths, it is a product of the imagination. The world you create is whatever you want. You needn't commit murder to write a good story about a serial killer just as you needn't have been one of Cortes's soldiers in the 16th century to write a good book about the Spanish Conquest of Mexico.. writing fiction about stuff you haven't experienced is one of the beautiful things about fiction.. you get to imagine that you are part of that world. So I think these criticisms are a little unfair.. but whatever.. I think you are doing a great job with your writing and look forward to reading more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom