• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Ipomea indica -- just everywhere!

Jameis Vu

Esteemed member
My friend SWIM is hoping to try his hand at some LSA extractions in the near future. I've noticed around my neighborhood a crazy amount of what phone apps identify as Ipomea indica (see pic), so it seems like a decent free source of seeds. Does anyone have experience with the species?

The only issue is... no seeds are to be found on the spent flowers of these plants. Anyone have an idea of whats going on here? Are they not being pollinated? Seems odd with all the hummingbirds and bees flitting about.

IMG_3170.jpeg

Weedy around here i s "Grandpa Ott" (Ipomea nil). I looked it up and it has small amounts of Lysergides and other more noxious compounds. Wouldn't be worth it when Heavenly Blue is easy to grow. I think they all have some small amounts of alkaloids.

1716500543589.png

'Course, I'm temperate zone. This article mentions alkaloids.

As does this one.

A number of the articles I Googled were similar with "probable ergot alkaloids" mentioned, but I couldn't get a definitive answer. Sorry.
Your weedy Morning Glory does look like a *possible* decent source. Where are you located?

I know Heavenly Blue and HBWR seeds would both likely give better results, but I see this variety very frequently, growing over peoples fences and spilling onto the street. It's hard to beat free. Any idea why it's not showing any seedpods?

Edit: Ah I see the reason, noted in the second article you sent me!
The fruit is a small (about 10 mm in diameter) 3-chambered spherical capsule. These are rarely produced by the plant. It has almost no self-fertilization and so grows vegetatively: its preferred method of propagation is by the production of numerous stolons, stems that grow above ground and are able to produce both roots and foliage. Individual stolons are readily detached from the parent plant and dispersed by mechanical means such as flooding, stream flow, landslides, or human activity (ground clearing and weed removal). Even when badly damaged, a plant can easily recover 4-6 m of its length in a single growth season. One theory about why Ipomoea indica evolved this unique reproductive behavior is that the species is a sterile hybrid and its genes are self-incompatible.
That would explain it! But then that begs the question: If I cannot get seeds, does the plant itself have worthwhile alkyloid concentration to perform an extraction?

Last edited:
Hm, I often grow Grandpa Ott's variety - they produce tons of seeds but I always thought their lysergamide content was next to nothing. The flowers alone make it worthwhile, even thought it's a surprisingly handsome plant in its entirety. Perhaps I should have tasted those thousands of seeds that I have after all.
"Next to nothing" might be a good way to describe what I read. It's been a while since I went down that rabbit hole search but my (possibly faulty) memory is of very small amounts of Lysergamides but still having all the other undesirable stuff. They are a weed growing all over where I live and I decided not to experiment.

Ipomoea indica is a nice perpetual plant that not always give seeds, its propagated merely by stolons and can become easily invasive.
I love the flowers and prefer them over volubilis, but when it comes to ergot alkaloids, you go better with the ipomoea volubilis. They are easy to grow (they are annuals in revenge) and give hundreds of seeds without problem.

Ipomoea indica is a nice perpetual plant that not always give seeds, its propagated merely by stolons and can become easily invasive.
I love the flowers and prefer them over volubilis, but when it comes to ergot alkaloids, you go better with the ipomoea volubilis. They are easy to grow (they are annuals in revenge) and give hundreds of seeds without problem.

Volubilis = purpurea ?
Do you have any succes with it ? do you know if there's any article pointing at the concentration of the different alkaloids?
And as a general rule, how dangerous is to bioessay some ipomeas?

I'm glad to read an explanation of why some ipomea don't make seeds. I'm yet to understand why my heavenly blue never produced a single seeds though :/ (central portugal). I got thousands of flower, i tried seeds from 5 different sources....

Yes, volubilis is purpuea.

I have all my lsa experiences made with these one (purpuea) since hbwr doesn't flower in my region and I never gave a try to ololuqhui.

Purpuea is safe if you harvest your own seeds and in my experience there isn't a lot of differences in strength depending on the cultivar (which are selected for aesthetics).

The alkaloids are produced by a fungi living on the outer skin of the seed hull.

I would really like to learn more about this ergot producing fungi and maybe even cultivate it.

Indica in revenge doesn't seem to have a traditional use AFAIK but there are many ipomoea and some are apparently used in tantric rituals and so on.

Maybe there are some infos in the literature but like it doesn't seed and seems really only cultivated for its nice flowers, I don't thing that it could be more interesting than purpuea I regard of ergot type alkaloids.

Volubilis = purpurea ?
Do you have any succes with it ? do you know if there's any article pointing at the concentration of the different alkaloids?
And as a general rule, how dangerous is to bioessay some ipomeas?

I'm glad to read an explanation of why some ipomea don't make seeds. I'm yet to understand why my heavenly blue never produced a single seeds though :/ (central portugal). I got thousands of flower, i tried seeds from 5 different sources....
Interesting - I've had Heavenly Blues produce seed in central UK with a sheltered microclimate, but not in a northerly part of west-central continental Europe only a degree or two of latitude further north. Glad I'm not alone in this! I suspect that UK Heavenly Blues may even be (or have been) a different variety from the mainland ones.

There is a big confusion about Ipomoea
Tricolore, purpuea and violacea going on.
Especially if you deal with seeds from random gardening centers.
In my experience, flower identification will helpfully reveal their true nature rapidly.

There is a big confusion about Ipomoea
Tricolore, purpuea and violacea going on.
Especially if you deal with seeds from random gardening centers.
In my experience, flower identification will helpfully reveal their true nature rapidly.
What do you do?

I've grown Heavenly Blue at the 40th parallel in the US and gotten seeds.

I don't have the details at hand, but a couple of friends used indica many years ago when they were living in Western Australia; it grows as a weed there, like it does in many places. They also noted it never seemed to set seed but they made tea from the foliage and reported psychedelic effects. They wrote about this in a self-published zine decades ago. If I find it I'll copy out what they wrote - probably included a suggested dose.

The alkaloids are produced by a fungi living on the outer skin of the seed hull.

I would really like to learn more about this ergot producing fungi and maybe even cultivate it.
The fungus Periglandula produces the alkaloids and it does not grow on the outer skin of the seed. It colonizes the meristem of the host plant and then further colonizes the tissues of the plants, like adaxial leaf surfaces and the stems. The actual part colonized and how much fungus grows varies from species to species.

The fungus Periglandula has yet to be cultivated but people have tried.

I've never heard of anyone successfully using Ipomoea purpurea for a psychedelic experience.
I'd love to learn more about this.

Back
Top Bottom