• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

I've got some testing questions.. Any Takers ?

Migrated topic.

fatmanscooby

Rising Star
How would I test a leaf/bark sample obtained in the wild with the Dragendorff's reagent ? or if there is a more suitable way to check potentially new species for spice viability

Will anyone be able to help identify any viable species from my not so great pictures that I take and upload to my open and publicly modifiable album ? New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents

Taking into consideration the variety of spice containing species, I believe i should look at the acacia's if im ever going to find anything viable. Is anything bad likely to happen if i make a ayahuasca analogue out of the suspected specie + syrian rue (which i can get easily) ?

Thank you all for your efforts in building this great resource.

maybe this is of your interest

dreamer042 said:
C B Gold said:
A simple test for indole-containing compounds and tryptamines is to crush a small piece of mushroom into 1/2 ounce of vodka or ethyl alcohol("denatured alcohol" or the hardware store "shellac thinner" is fine) and mix. Add 3-4 drops of hydrochloric acid(or the hardware store variety called, "muriatic acid") then drop a pine tree shaving into the solution which will turn "cherry red" in the presence of indoles.

This test should work for most botanical materials, not just fungi, as a quick and simple way of field testing for indole and tryptamine like compounds.

bindu said:
maybe this is of your interest

dreamer042 said:
C B Gold said:
A simple test for indole-containing compounds and tryptamines is to crush a small piece of mushroom into 1/2 ounce of vodka or ethyl alcohol("denatured alcohol" or the hardware store "shellac thinner" is fine) and mix. Add 3-4 drops of hydrochloric acid(or the hardware store variety called, "muriatic acid") then drop a pine tree shaving into the solution which will turn "cherry red" in the presence of indoles.

This test should work for most botanical materials, not just fungi, as a quick and simple way of field testing for indole and tryptamine like compounds.

TYSM ! I think now i can start exploring the wide bio-diversity of my area. Ill keep you posted on my findings

nen888 said:
..there is some information on field-testing using silico-tungustic acid reagent here: post#48-entheogenic effects of nmt

also, endlessness kindly created this thread:Colorimetric test results (Marquis, Mecke, Ehrlich, etc) for different alkaloids

some reagents will better differentiate between different indoles than others...

Thanks nen888 ! everything i need to know seems to be on this forum and that is great ! If you have a minute id like you to check out my album of photos to see if i already have something. Thanks again :d

Dragondorff or silicotungustic acid would both be ways to determine if plants in your area would contain alkaloids, however, colorametric tests alone would not be able to determine what those alkaloids are. TLC with colorametric visualization would get you closer, but not not with any absolute certainty. Comparison with known samples would get even one step closer...

Also, I have not been able to make the pine needle in HCl thing work... would love to hear of someone who has.

-D.

Back
Top Bottom