• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

lye vs ammonia

Migrated topic.
[quote:6a38d41898="mentalextentions"]yeah but how much??[/quote:6a38d41898] Noman says one gram of lye for every 15ml. of water and that for very gram of powdered rootbark. And I agree. It's a good formula. But one question! Isn't ammonia acidic?

Well here's what QT herself says: "STEP 8 Basify to pH 9 ......................... C. Test to make sure pH is ~12. .......................... A. Stir and check the pH of contents in Jar B after each transfer of lye solution until the solution in Jar B reaches a pH of ~9-11. ........................... According to the Merck Index the pKa (natural pH) of DMT is 8.68 (which would make this the ideal pH to extract at.) In many experiments the average pH of the final basified solution in STEP 8 was ~10, which gave satisfactory results everytime." So, basify to pH 9, but make sure it's 12 after you've added enough lye to reach 9-11 although the ideal pH would be 8.68 and 10 gives satisfactory results every time. Got it? I'd like to ask everyone reading this to take the time to email Erowid and request that this piece of shit be removed from their board.

Most say to basify the mix to 13-14 and the higher basified the easier it is to not get emulsions in the solvent. I just add a tiny amount of solvent and keep adding lye until the mixture is black and then add tiny bits until the mixture and solvent separates within 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom