• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Mini A/B, why my n-Heptane goes cloudy as it its the acid water.

spyfish

Established member
Donator
the mini A/B is working great, but i am curious why the solvent goes cloudy when i add it to the acid water? And stays cloudy until it sits in a beaker 24 hours or so after siphoned off?

Obviously not saturated with DMT. Im reusing the solvent for further pulls on the main flask/magnetic stirrer. And seems to work fine.

Everything else as expected, adding lye to the vinegar water makes the DMT crash out immediately and pulling with clear solvent gets me white fluffy goodness.

Just curious what happens to the solvent getting cloudy when hitting the acid bath. Tried to search a but but couldn’t find any real explanation . I would assume the DMT moves into the acid rather swiftly. Is it some sort of reaction with low PH contact?

My pulls are all cold, but the vinegar water i start with warm to move the DMT into the acid water. I only do that once though, and let the vortex run for a couple hours before i move to basifying and pulling

the mini A/B is working great, but i am curious why the solvent goes cloudy when i add it to the acid water? And stays cloudy until it sits in a beaker 24 hours or so after siphoned off?

Obviously not saturated with DMT. Im reusing the solvent for further pulls on the main flask/magnetic stirrer. And seems to work fine.

Everything else as expected, adding lye to the vinegar water makes the DMT crash out immediately and pulling with clear solvent gets me white fluffy goodness.

Just curious what happens to the solvent getting cloudy when hitting the acid bath. Tried to search a but but couldn’t find any real explanation . I would assume the DMT moves into the acid rather swiftly. Is it some sort of reaction with low PH contact?

My pulls are all cold, but the vinegar water i start with warm to move the DMT into the acid water. I only do that once though, and let the vortex run for a couple hours before i move to basifying and pulling
Do you have any pictures of this? It may just be the vortex causing a tiny bit of emulsion to form, dispersed in the heptane.

By the sounds of your results, it's no cause for concern. Have you tried it without the stirring?

Do you have any pictures of this? It may just be the vortex causing a tiny bit of emulsion to form, dispersed in the heptane.

By the sounds of your results, it's no cause for concern. Have you tried it without the stirring?

I really doubt its related to the stirring. It turns cloudy as it touches the acid. Like immediately before starting stirrer. I don’t have full vortex as well.

I read someone else in here seeing the same, but cant find the thread again now. If i run another mini ill take pictures :)

Everything comes out clean, but was just curious why it’s happening.

I have this as well... do a normal water wash after and it tend to clear up or even base water so it's more alkaline than acidic. IDK if you can store it acidic but I always tend to alkalize and filter.

IDK why but I'd image it is from a salt that doesn't precipitate or move over to the aqueous layer. I've never had issues with it causing losses due to this.

I have this as well... do a normal water wash after and it tend to clear up or even base water so it's more alkaline than acidic. IDK if you can store it acidic but I always tend to alkalize and filter.

IDK why but I'd image it is from a salt that doesn't precipitate or move over to the aqueous layer. I've never had issues with it causing losses due to this.

It seems to clear by simply sitting overnight after siphoning off from the acid water. And i reused it successfully with i initial pulls

I really doubt its related to the stirring. It turns cloudy as it touches the acid. Like immediately before starting stirrer. I don’t have full vortex as well.
Intriguing - in that case, I have no idea!

Have you tried pouring the heptane really gently onto the surface of the acidic water?
Is all your glassware spotlessly clean?
Do you incorporate a detergent-removal step at the end of your glassware's cleaning process?
What specific kind of vinegar have you been using?
And what about your water?

What kinds of container have all your materials been stored in?

Intriguing - in that case, I have no idea!

Have you tried pouring the heptane really gently onto the surface of the acidic water?
Is all your glassware spotlessly clean?
Do you incorporate a detergent-removal step at the end of your glassware's cleaning process?
What specific kind of vinegar have you been using?
And what about your water?

What kinds of container have all your materials been stored in?
Hmm, flask for the mini ab should be fairly clear. Rinse well after washing with dishwasher detergent. I use distilled water from hardware store and standard supermarket bought cheap 5% vinegar.

Didn’t pour it carefully no, just dumped it in there basically

Hmm, flask for the mini ab should be fairly clear. Rinse well after washing with dishwasher detergent. I use distilled water from hardware store and standard supermarket bought cheap 5% vinegar.

Didn’t pour it carefully no, just dumped it in there basically
Those are some points for meditation. Bear in mind that glassware for detergent residue analysis gets rinsed with HCl to remove traces of detergent residue. One also has to wonder about (liquid) any reagents that may have been stored in plastic bottles.

Back
Top Bottom