• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Mushroom extraction

I would like to make a crude mushroom extract, nothing close to pure. I would like to get 4-5 grams of dried mushrooms down to 1-2 capsules or 5ml liquid or oil.

Does using vacuum filtering remove all the liquid from the solid as I would like to use the minimum amount of extraction liquid?

What would be the lowest amount of water to use for extracting 5 grams? What about ethanol water mix and what percentage?

I do not want to use methanol as I'm conserned about the toxicity.

I would like to avoid long evaporation times. By how much would using a desiccator or The Source Turbo by ExtractCraft speed up evaporation?

I have seen in the extraction method water is adjusted to pH 4 with actic acid and heated to 70c to convert psilocybin to psilocin. Would this be safe to consume if it was then evaporated? Could the pH be adjusted with citric acid or vitamin C? Would this be safer to consume? Is it better to adjust the pH before or after adding the dried mushrooms? I have also seen mention of adjusting to pH 2.

Can this adjusting of the pH and heating be done in an alcohol extraction or only in water?

Should I defat with naphtha? I have seen somewhere that a defat was done on the dried mushrooms prior to extraction. Is this a better way?

Can extraction be done using Dimethyl ether DME methoxymethane?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you for any help.

Loads of results come up if you search the forum here with the term "mushroom extraction":

Have a read of those, dig a little deeper with the search function, and then see if any of your questions remain unanswered.

Welcome to the Nexus!

Yes, please do share. I spent sometime looking for a successful tek and eventually gave up. I know people are doing it very well, but it seems that they are keeping their techniques rather proprietary. I would love to see more open source work on this resulting in a shelf stable end product. The stuff I have seen almost looks like amber BHO and can be handled and doesn't degrade instantly. It is very powerful. Def what it is supposed to be. No idea how it was made.

stuff I have seen almost looks like amber BHO and can be handled and doesn't degrade instantly
I think this is the methanol extract mentioned in the linked thread, I would be up for some experimenting to make this into a guide so tips on how to proceed after the methanol extraction would be greatly appreciated on my part as well.

I'm of to harvest some more mushrooms …

I think there is no standard working tek around, the thing you’re looking at is probably a methanol extract. This wil usually make an active extract. Would be great if you report back with your results.

I would read this:
I do not want to use methanol as I'm conserned about the toxicity
Doesn't stop the rest of us, ofc…
I'd be more concerned about handling extremely flammable gas like DME, tbh.
notice: even though methanol was used, I made sure it was completely evaporated (it evaporates very easily) before consuming. This alcohol is ideal to use in psilo extractions, if readily available.

technically, it's not methanol that's toxic; it's not what would make you blind or kill you.
it's the formaldehyde that methanol is converted into when it reaches the liver after drinking it that is poisonous.
Handling methanol is not as big a concern.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm now considering ethanol as I'm hoping leaving it in a liquid will give me some thing with a long shelf life and easy to measure out.

If I start from 95% ethanol when the alcohol is reduced in volume does it evaporate before the water?

If the liquid is reduced a lot would the alcohol percent become too low to stop the product from spoiling?

From Wikipedia

In herbal medicine, alcoholic tinctures are made with various ethanol concentrations, which should be at least 20% alcohol for preservation purposes.

I can work back from say 20ml/g at 20% final product making a 5g equivalent the same as having a double. Does this sound about right?

Last edited:
Might not be exactly what your looking for but plain water extractions "tea" work well for mushrooms

I make gummies from time to time and normally just simmer a few ounces in a large pot of water with a dash of lemon juice for an hour, save the water & repeat
Combine both teas then reduce down to 50ml-100ml.

If you want a tincture add ethanol after the fact and remember to shake well before use & adjust strength either with more shrooms or more reducing.

Again sorry to go off track but if all you want is an easier method to dose then this could work.

Back
Top Bottom