• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

My Salvia

Migrated topic.

Bassface

Rising Star
I thought I would introduce you all to my sally. She is still young but has been growing like crazy these past few weeks. This picture is from a week ago.

Attachments

• DSCN0800.JPG
    DSCN0800.JPG
    728.9 KB · Views: 0
looks great!..very healthy..looks like it likes the environment..just stay away from misting the plant and it should grow into a big healthy mother for cuttings..

I lost a plant to misting once..now I never mist mine and I have 5 plants..a few of them are nearly 5 feet.

fractal enchantment said:
looks great!..very healthy..looks like it likes the environment..just stay away from misting the plant and it should grow into a big healthy mother for cuttings..

I lost a plant to misting once..now I never mist mine and I have 5 plants..a few of them are nearly 5 feet.
Could you elaborate?
I didn't think misting could harm them.

misting the plants creates powder mold ont he leaves eventaully. I would highly recommend not misting your salvia plants..they dont need it..they will become accustomed to the humidity level of your house or whatever..just make sure you water them enough...dont let them dry out and droop and dont overwater so much that you get root rot.

When I first started growing I read that they liked misting..but they dont..people say this becasue salvia grows in a cloud forest where it is humid..but misting the plant in a dryer atmosphere does NOT replicate a cloud forest..

Basically you are doing the same thing to your plants that gives you chapped lips..and it makes it so eary for powder mold to start forming on the leaves.

My plants seem to like being rained on a bit in the summer(I keep them outside inthe summer)..but after a rainstorm the air is humid as well..misting an indoor plant is like causing it to go from one extreme to the other..

Interesting, I mist a few time a day, but I also keep the plant at ambient humidity. Do you have any sources for this, or is it based on personal experience? Regardless, I'm glad you all like the plant. She has had a hard life while her owner figured out what she wanted, but I think I've got things fairly well figured out.

I killed a plant from misting it like 4 or 5 times a day..there are lots of experienced salvia growers in the salvia section of the edot forums and everyone suggested to stop misting my salvia..since I stopped I have not had those same problems with salvia.

fractal enchantment said:
misting the plants creates powder mold ont he leaves eventaully. I would highly recommend not misting your salvia plants..they dont need it..they will become accustomed to the humidity level of your house or whatever..just make sure you water them enough...dont let them dry out and droop and dont overwater so much that you get root rot.

When I first started growing I read that they liked misting..but they dont..people say this becasue salvia grows in a cloud forest where it is humid..but misting the plant in a dryer atmosphere does NOT replicate a cloud forest..

Basically you are doing the same thing to your plants that gives you chapped lips..and it makes it so eary for powder mold to start forming on the leaves.

My plants seem to like being rained on a bit in the summer(I keep them outside inthe summer)..but after a rainstorm the air is humid as well..misting an indoor plant is like causing it to go from one extreme to the other..
I heard misting was unnessary, and that it was best to just get them used to low humidity, but I did it anyway as I like to do anything possible for them.
Would cutting them off from misting be okay if I mist them twice or 3 times a day? or should I mist less for now and then stop?

Nice plants!

My salvia plant didn't last long :(.. after reading this it seems like it was due to over misting
I was in a real dry environment and i'd read to mist it alot

Fractal how often would you suggest watering say a 4-5 inch plant in one day? I was clueless. It started to wilt and turn dark and wet on the end of the leaves so i cut back the watering and misting but it continued, maybe root rot. I'm a plant nOOb!

You need to let the soil dry out in between waterings. Poke your finger into the soil and if it feels dry at about an inch deep, you can water. It is really important to use a free draining soil mix. I use a 1:1 mix of soil and perlite.

"wet on the end of the leaves"

Yea misting in non humid environments tends to do that to it..
Like said above..let it dry out inbetween watering but dont let it wilt alot and wither etc..

Here are some new pics from this afternoon.
utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDQuanBn.jpg

if a salvia is grown in high humidity, it gets huge luxuriant leaves, if grown dryer, they are slightly smaller.
When moving a plant from a high humidity area to a low humidity area it is normal for it to drop off some leaves and develop new ones.
Salvia as a plant is very adaptable - the individual leaves are not.
Salvia doesnt need to be babied half as much as ppl think and if u live in the right climate you can just toss it out in the garden like any other plant.(just choose a spot carefully)

random post but hopefully usefull to someone.

Ya seriously, good post Phlux, Salvia divinorum can adjust to all kinds of conditions, mine are growing with my cacti in almost zero humidity!

Unfortunately, not yet. I want to let her get fairly large before I start picking leaves off of her.

IMAG0020.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture, but I couldn't get the lighting right inside my closet. I'm going to build a shelf for the plants soon so I have room to spread them out.

Back
Top Bottom