• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Ocimum micranthum admixture?

Migrated topic.

Auxin

Rising Star
I was plotting this years garden and I found some old brazilian Ocimum micranthum seed.
I know its used as a tea for a general tonic and for pain relief and I know it was noted as a ayahuasca admixture of unspecified purpose.
Has this plant ever been further explored?
Just what does it do in aya?

The plant you mention Ocimum micranthum does not appear to be in wikipedia? but is an odd basil from Peru, traditionally used in cooking there. Leaves are unlike common basil, with a unique smell that has resulted in a number of medicinal uses. How nice that you found brazilian Ocimum micranthum seed while plotting your garden.

The essential oil composition seems to vary from place to place.
Unlike the ecuadorian strain tested, strains from pará, brazil were found to contain a substantial amount of methyleugenol and in some cases elemicin (1) and the seeds I have are from just east of there. But I gather that it was seen used as an aya admixture far to the south of there so I dont know what the picture would be down there.
Reading over the ethnobotany, my first guess was that it was added to help with pain or arthritis, etc. or to strengthen weak patients but looking at the structures of methyleugenol and elemicin (non-alkaloid precursors to the amphetamine analogs of DMPEA and mescaline) I wonder if select varieties are used as actual visionary-modifying admixtures.
Who knew basils could be so interesting :lol:

I have some of the (very old) seed in a petri dish now, with luck I can spread fresh seed around in the fall. I'm also trying to revive some old vana tulsi collected in gujarat, india in 1962 so I can compare the two as tonic teas and spices.

Back
Top Bottom