• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

On Bufotenine

Migrated topic.

Vlad

Rising Star
Hi, I'm sorry if this was posted already in the 23 page Bufotenine thread, but I don't have the time to read it all now. If the below already was, feel free to delete it or move it. I just came back to a visit to this board after not reading some time, and thought I'd share the below info I have in a file and got from another more or less hidden board.

---

A better smoking combination is, believe it or not, freebase bufotenine and freebase harmine. It's not as strange as DMT, much more visual, and lasts much longer (2-3 hours). The trip is easily tolerated by most people because it's primarily just a visual experience without the ego loss and the other terrifying psychedelic effects of DMT.

Bufotenine is in Anadenanthera colubrina beans and is pretty easy to extract (but requires a different extraction procedure than DMT). Bufotenine shouldn't be taken orally or injected. It's unpleasant taken by those routes. But its very nice when smoked.

In the Amazon it's a common procedure to chew on Caapi vine while snorting Vilca (a snuff made from Anadenanthera colubrina) to produce a short ayahuasca-like experience. It's not as freaky as ayahuasca, but it's more visual. Bufotenine is far more visual than DMT, but not as psychedelic as DMT. All the bad information people have heard about bufotenine is from it being injected. It is very toxic and unpleasant when injected, but not when smoked.

In a recent study perform by Jonathan Ott, several people tested the effects of smoked freebase bufotenine and all the test subjects reported strong visual effects from it without the unpleasant side effects from injecting it. It's stronger than DMT, active at doses of 2-10 mg. 10 mg is a whopping dose producing a full blown visionary state, and yet you still feel completely grounded to reality. It not at all freaky like DMT can be.

If you go the freebase bufotenine route, and you extract it from Anadenanthera colubrina or A. peregrina., make sure to remove the other alkaloids. There are at least two other unknown alkaloids (not DMT or 5-Meo-DMT) which are present in the seeds at active levels which have some unpleasant side effects. They are the main reason the snuff causes tension in the head and nausea. It's not the bufotenine responsible for this. If you look at Jonathan Ott's recent bufotenine tests (which were performed on many people), you'll see that bufotenine taken orally, snorted, or smoked, doesn't cause unpleasant side effects.

The first other alkaloid is present in large amounts. It's very potent, as potent as freebase bufotenine and freebase 5-MeO-DMT (2-10 mg smoke). It's similar to freebase bufotenine, but comes on quicker, within a few minutes rather than 5 minutes. It peaks in about 5 minutes rather than 15 minutes, and last about 2 hours. The visuals are different than those of bufotenine. They are more swirly. It's a little scarier than bufotenine, but not as scary as DMT can be. It's actually pretty nice except that, unlike bufotenine, it causes a little nausea on the come up. The nausea is usually light and only lasts about 1-2 minutes. I wish I knew the name of this compound, but I don't. This compound causes much stronger longer lasting nausea if snorted or ingested orally.

The second unknown compound is about as potent as DMT, but it's NOT DMT. It occurs in much less amounts than bufotenine, and isn't as strong. I've heard that it shows up as DMT in some tests, but its not DMT. It takes 20-40 mg smoked for effects. It's VERY NICE. It's similar to DMT in effects, but more visual and sort of like psilocin. It comes on after about 2 minutes and peaks after about 15 minutes and lasts about 2 hours. This compound causes mild tension in the head. This compound causes strong long lasting nausea if ingested orally or snorted, but doesn't cause nausea if smoked.

Bufotenine (5-HO-DMT) doesn't cause any nausea. It's very closely related to psilocin (4-HO-DMT). The visuals are sort of psilocin like. It's a very friendly psychedelic, more easy to handle than psilocin, and much easier to handle than DMT (probably the most intensely frightening psychedelic there is). It produces a lot of auditory hallucinations. More than any other psychedelic I know of. It's also very euphoric. The nice thing about it compared with other psychedelics is that it is a very intensely visual and auditory without causing much other effects even at very high doses. Effects like ego loss, paranoia, slowing of time, and other strange psychedelic effects common with LSD, DMT, etc., are almost non-existent with bufotenine. The lack of mental psychedelic effects allows the user to go really deep into a high dose visionary state without loss of control.

To separate bufotenine from the other compounds is simple. Dissolve the mixed alkaloids in acetone. Add citric acid pre-dissolved in acetone until no more precipitation occurs. The bufotenine and the first unknown alkaloid above will precipitate out of the acetone. The other unknown compound remains in the acetone along with any excess citric acid. If you want to recover this second unknown compound, evaporate the acetone. Freebase with ammonia. Extract 6 or more times using a semi-non-polar solvent (DCM, ethyl acetate, ether, or chloroform). Wash 3 times with pH 9 water to remove unpleasant serotonin like compounds. Evaporate non-polar solvent to obtain the second unknown compound in smoke able freebase form. It's active at 20-40 mg smoked.

To separate the bufotenine from the first unknown compound, freebase the precipitated alkaloids using ammonia. Extract 6 or more times using a semi-non-polar solvent (DCM, ethyl acetate, ether, or chloroform). Extract the bufotenine from the non-polar solvent three times using pH 9 water. The water will look yellowish, showing the presence of freebase bufotenine. The other compound stays in the non-polar solvent and is more reddish or amber. Evaporate the non-polar solvent to obtain the first unknown compound active at 2-10 mg. Boil down the water to obtain freebase bufotenine active at 2-10 mg.

wow, amazing post vlad. yes i do believe that it should be separate from the 23 page bufo thread. This is a amazing summary but could use a more descriptive thread title. Other than that, amazing. one of the best posts that i have read.

Hummm using the standard Ott method of extraction and 2X recrystalization MS, TLC and HPLC only show a single component which is Bufotenine.
Has SWIM obtained these results consistently from different seed sources? or just a single time?

Furthermore seeds and snuffs have been analysised many times and shown that the only major component is B. Sometimes low levels of DMT, or 5-MeO-DMT and a few other trace compounds are also found but they are insignificant low levels. One would need a large amount of starting material to obtain a significant amount of pure alkaloids.

Regarding the formation of the citrate salt:
Is SWIM sure that all of the B was converted to the citrate salt. Was the correct molar ratio of citrate added?
It may be that not enough citrate was added and thus some of the B remained in the acetone as the freebase. Or it is possible that B citrate is partialy soluble in acetone (this could be tested easily) SWIM is not sure. Some additional impurities may also be present but the predominant alkaloid is likely B.

Also when separating the other "two alkaloids" freebase B is only partially soluble in basic water but also in the organic solvent. Thus by only doing 3 washes it is very likely that a significant amount of B remains in the organic solvent. (This is why in Otts method (which he did not develop BTW) the initial basic solution is extracted many times with CHCl3 b/c the B is soluble in both water and the solvent.) Thus it seems SWIM has B in both layers.

Does SWIM have any other method to determine the identity of the alkaloids. TLC, HPLC, Melting piont??? It may be a unique seed type but If not it seems very likely that SWIMs samples are all Bufotenine maybe each has some additional minor impurities (that alter the effects) but the only significant alkaloid in the great majority of the seeds is bufotenine. This has been shown time and time again.

Vlad said:
The first other alkaloid is present in large amounts. It's very potent, as potent as freebase bufotenine and freebase 5-MeO-DMT (2-10 mg smoke). It's similar to freebase bufotenine, but comes on quicker, within a few minutes rather than 5 minutes. It peaks in about 5 minutes rather than 15 minutes, and last about 2 hours. The visuals are different than those of bufotenine. They are more swirly. It's a little scarier than bufotenine, but not as scary as DMT can be. It's actually pretty nice except that, unlike bufotenine, it causes a little nausea on the come up. The nausea is usually light and only lasts about 1-2 minutes. I wish I knew the name of this compound, but I don't. This compound causes much stronger longer lasting nausea if snorted or ingested orally.

Interesting :shock: Seems like ILPT experienced this compound in his colubrina seeds while he couldn`t feel any of the bufotenine effects. His mind wasn`t as clear as description of bufotenine effects claiming. He felt something very close to description above (onset,effects)

Vlad said:
The second unknown compound is about as potent as DMT, but it's NOT DMT. It occurs in much less amounts than bufotenine, and isn't as strong. I've heard that it shows up as DMT in some tests, but its not DMT. It takes 20-40 mg smoked for effects. It's VERY NICE. It's similar to DMT in effects, but more visual and sort of like psilocin. It comes on after about 2 minutes and peaks after about 15 minutes and lasts about 2 hours. This compound causes mild tension in the head. This compound causes strong long lasting nausea if ingested orally or snorted, but doesn't cause nausea if smoked.
ILPT found something similar to this compound and it`s possible to get rid of it by toasting the seeds. Hovewer he has no idea what is it and what does it decompose to (could decompose to another more toxic molecule, one never know)

Theory of more then one active compound sounds real in this thread people describing effects of experiencing two different compounds
69ron said:
It seems that the level of visionary effects varies from person to person. With SWIM and SpasticSpaz (see here) both experiencing strong visual and auditory effects and Jorkest and Bufoman experiencing only mild visual effects and no auditory effects.

Seems like ILPT never isolated bloody bufotenine. What are safe pH values. it`s true that pH>12 will degrade bufo?

I must say I'm quite fascinated by bufotenine now! Its so strange, as before I encountered these boards, it was ALWAYS described as a poison - apart from by Jonathon Ott - but it really seems like anything but...very interesting stuff :)

Interresting extraction tek. SWIM may give it a try althought he do not have access to semi-polar solvent. maybe a mix of MEK+naphta could work ?

Bufotenine shouldn't be taken orally or injected.

SWIM want to precise that in sublingual form, after having taken a anti-emetic pill (over the counter stuff for nausea), it works nicely.

Back
Top Bottom