• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Orthostatic hypotension deepens my experience

Jagube

Esteemed member
When I'm stand up, I sometimes get dizzy. Aya amplifies it.

But I see some value in that dizziness. On aya it's special. It deepens my experience, both in terms of headspace and somatically.
When the effects are waning, it can sometimes give me another dive, sometimes an insight when I thought there wouldn't be any more, sometimes an unexpected emotional release.

So I don't necessarily want to abort it when it happens by lowering my head. I may choose to just keep it going for a bit longer. And when I do, I make sure I'm safe, e.g. leaning on or holding on to a piece of furniture, and prepared to lie down should I feel too close to fainting. I've never fainted and that's probably because I lie down before it becomes a remote possibility. The dizziness is under control.

I'm not endorsing this, just sharing my experience.

I hope I'm not doing any damage to my brain. I know DMT protects nerve cells from hypoxia.

Last edited:
Tell us more about the method of administration for example, are you drinking ayahausca or smoking crystal?

Does it only happen when on the drugs?

It might be some medical condition not related to psychadelic drug use.

Tell us more about the method of administration for example, are you drinking ayahausca or smoking crystal?

Does it only happen when on the drugs?

It might be some medical condition not related to psychadelic drug use.
Drinking.
Many people get dizzy when they stand up, it's usually not an issue unless it's extreme.
Aya amplifies the dizziness, and the dizziness amplifies the aya.

Drinking.
Many people get dizzy when they stand up, it's usually not an issue unless it's extreme.
Aya amplifies the dizziness, and the dizziness amplifies the aya.

So you have dizziness regularly and drinking ayahuasca amplifies the dizziness.

Seek advice from medical professional. There could be some underlining physical health problem.

I used to have orthostatic hypotension when I was eating little salt, and omitted salt from the preparation diet. A few years ago I felt I should be eating more salt and it took care of those dizziness when standing up episodes. These episodes happened much more often in summer, and that is another hint that it is related to electrolyte loss. Now I drink lemon salt water every morning and in the summer, also during the day. The low blood pressure with rue, especially fresh rue was so bad before that I actually did faint a couple of times and was lucky to not have been harmed. I never thought orthostatic hypotension enhanced the experience, however I did recognize that lower blood pressure resulting from eating less salt deepens the overall experience.

Last edited:
So you have dizziness regularly and drinking ayahuasca amplifies the dizziness.

Seek advice from medical professional. There could be some underlining physical health problem.
When sober it's very infrequent for me. But everyone experiences temporary BP drops on standing from supine, and to a lesser degree from sitting.

It's common on aya and I don't mean just me. When people sit in ceremonies for the first time, the facilitators instruct them to get up slowly to avoid dizziness and fainting.

Salt counteracts that by increasing BP. I do avoid salt around the times I drink.

DMT raises BP, but harmalas decrease it, so a harmala heavy brew would seem more likely to have this effect.

Last edited:
When sober it's very infrequent for me. But everyone experiences temporary BP drops on standing from supine, and to a lesser degree from sitting.

It's common on aya and I don't mean just me. When people sit in ceremonies for the first time, the facilitators instruct them to get up slowly to avoid dizziness and fainting.

Salt counteracts that by increasing BP. I do avoid salt around the times I drink.

DMT raises BP, but harmalas decrease it, so a harmala heavy brew would seem more likely to have this effect.
Given that harmala alkaloids have vasodilatory properties, this makes a good deal of sense. Harmalas produce an additional distruption of the sense of balance (my hypothesis is that this occurs through the same sensory lag that produces audio delay/flange effects and visual trailing at higher doses, along with tactile modulation) so, yes, these two effects rather synergise and I'll repeat the emphasis on applying caution when using higher doses of oral harmalas.

Back
Top Bottom