• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Phalaris Brachystachys Seed Sowing Germination Rate - Light Depth P.

Migrated topic.

fastfred

Rising Star
There is some information out there suggesting that Phalaris sp. need to be surface sown and exposed to light to germinate. Doing this causes some difficulty and results in more attention required, latter adding of soil to support the germinated seed, etc..

Using P. brachystachys seeds from South Africa and Algeria I conducted a small experiment on germination. I prepared 3 samples from each of the two strains using a surface sown in light, surface sown in darkness, and slightly buried method. Clear plastic was used to cover the "light" samples and aluminum foil was used to cover the "dark" samples.

Results are as follows... (Algeria, South Africa)

Germination at 4 days...
Surface = 4, 11
Surface-Dark = 5, 11
Buried-Dark = +++, 12

Germination at 7 days...
Surface = 5, 11
Surface-Dark = 5, 12
Buried-Dark = +++, 12

The "+++" indicates that a substantial amount of seed was accidentally spilled into the sample pot.

These results indicate that light is NOT important in P. brachystachys germination or early development. Further, it is not advantageous to surface sow the seeds.

From my observations the seeds are easily able to produce 1/2 inch of root growth and 1" of shoot growth, even in total darkness. Despite the equal germination rate in my experiment between surface sown and shallowly buried seeds, it should be mentioned that I used sealed containers and there is significant advantage in moisture control from burring the seeds due to not being exposed to open air.

My advice is to sow P. brachystachys seeds on well moistened soil, cover with at least one seed length of cover soil, then saturate with water. Germination should be easily observable (1/4-1/2" shoots) at 4 days.

While the results are hardly definitive, I believe that they clearly show no light requirement and no advantage to surface sowing, even under optimal conditions.

Experiments are ongoing, and I plan to test herbicide resistance in the near future.

I never surface sew any of my aquatica either, after doing that once and seeing how weak the roots/base are unless you cover them with more dirt etc..

Surface sowing turned out to be quite a PITA, IME. I ended up using sifted soil to cover up and support the shoots. The soil turned out to be very dry and very hydrophobic.

Submerging, misting, spraying, ultrasonic humidification, and finally the use of dish soap and rinsing it away was a lot of work and took a lot of time.

Subsurface sowing should eliminate a ton of labor and humidity requirements.

In either case I highly suggest NOT buying the cheapest potting or nursery soil at the local home improvement store. Even if you amend it with perlite and vermiculite it is still crap soil. Rip into the bag to get a look at it if you have to. You want black, not brown soil.

Back
Top Bottom