• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

plants with levels of melatonin

Migrated topic.

samyama

Rising Star
From this topic:

jamie said:
SKA said:
Could Melatonin be extracted in reasonable amounts from plant sources?
Appearantly it is in ordinairy Corn and Rice. Would be nice to extract
Melatonin from rice & corn.

There is a type of grass that contains it..highest plant source known..called Festuca Arundinacea. I want to get seeds of this plant to grow out. Might be useful in ayahuasca.

Currently I use melatonin daily in amounts of 5 to 10 mg, yes sleeping issues here. It's not bad at all, but I like plants much much more than synthetic pharmaceutics.

So maybe we can compile a list of plants containing melatonin in levels that are suitable for usage...

"Once thought to be exclusively a molecule of the animal kingdom, melatonin has now been found to exist in plants as well. Among a number of actions, melatonin is a direct free radical scavenger and an indirect antioxidant. Melatonin directly detoxifies the hydroxyl radical (OH), hydrogen peroxide, nitric oxide, peroxynitrite anion, peroxynitrous acid, and hypochlorous acid. The products from each of these reactions have been identified in pure chemical systems and in at least one case in vivo; the interaction product of melatonin with the OH, ie., cyclic 3-hydroxymelatonin, is found in the urine of humans and rats. Some of the products that are produced when melatonin detoxifies reactive species are also highly efficient scavengers. As a result, a cascade of scavenging reactions may enhance the antioxidant capacity of melatonin. Additionally, melatonin increases the activity of several antioxidative enzymes, thereby improving its ability to protect macromolecules from oxidative stress. Melatonin is endogenously produced and is also consumed in edible plants. In animal experiments, feeding melatonin-containing foods raised blood levels of the indole. Because physiologic concentrations of melatonin in the blood are known to correlate with the total antioxidant capacity of the serum, consuming food-stuffs containing melatonin may be helpful in lowering oxidative stress."

Plants and foods that either contain or help the production of melatonin:

-St. John's Wort

-Certain species of Huang-qin

-Dairy products such as milk, yogurt and eggs

-Soybeans

-Peanuts

-Vitamin B5: Foods containing B5, which helps make melatonin, include the suggestions above, as well as: sweet potatoes, lentils, mushrooms, broccoli, avocadoes, collard greens and corn.

-"Melatonin has been identified in many plants including feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium),St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum), rice, corn, tomato and edible fruits. The physiological roles of melatonin in plants involve regulation of their response to photoperiod, defense against harsh environments, and the function of an antioxidant. The latter may be the original function of melatonin in organisms with the others being added during evolution. Melatonin also regulates plant growth by its ability to slow root formation, while promoting above ground growth.
Melatonin has been reported in foodstuffs including cherries to about 0.17-13.46 ng/g, bananas and grapes, rice and cereals, herbs, olive oil, wine and beer.
When birds ingest melatonin-rich plant feed, such as rice, the melatonin binds to melatonin receptors in their brains. When humans consume foods rich in melatonin such as banana, pineapple and orange the blood levels of melatonin significantly increased."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-TRYPTOPHAN- Helps with the production of Melatonin.

"Tryptophan is the amino acid used to make melatonin and serotonin in the brain, both sleep-inducing chemicals. So which foods contain tryptophan? If turkey was the first word out of your mouth, you are partly right.

Turkey actually falls below chicken, liver, soybeans and tuna for trypophan content levels. However, when combined with the typical high carbohydrate side dishes, the path for receiving tryptophan is cleared, and more gets into the bloodstream.

Other foods that contain tryptophan, and therefore stimulate melatonin production, are salmon, halibut, venison, lamb and shrimp. The lesson to take away from the typical North American Thanksgiving turkey meal however, is to combine these proteins with carbohydrates if you want to get sleepy.

Of course, high levels of carbohydrates stimulate insulin release. If you eat heavy carb meals regularly and don’t burn off these extra glucose stores, you will put on weight quickly. So burn off those extra calories with exercise, another important habit for getting consistent, quality sleep.

As with all things, the right balance is important. Whether you choose to increase you tryptophan levels, exercise levels or just try an herbal melatonin supplement, consult a professional. Knowing how these changes affect your body will help you adjust your routine for maximum benefits and a great night’s sleep."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helped!

-DeDao

drschuler said:
There is a plant based melatonin on the market from Natural Health International www.naturalhi.com in dose of 3 mg and 0.3 mg. The source includes rice and Festuca Arundinacea

Hey thanks a lot. This is exactly what I'm looking for. 8)

Phyto-melatonin :d how nice. Now I have to see how to get it to my country, since they have regulations on the sale of melatonin here. Very childish, it could mean I can only obtain synthetic or even worse -animal extract- from here.

If so, there are ways ofcourse to circumvent such silly rules. But I hope they will ship it to me without problems. We'll see...

Even though rice has a relatively low content, I guess cost and starch being a main impurity makes it a viable option. Perhaps St. Johns Wort in and of itself would be a good option. However it and Feverfew have a lot of other stuff going on which would need to be purified out. With the St.John's Wort, I wonder if it might be more effective in establishing healthy sleep cycles than just the melatonin. I know between L-theanine and matcha with a known high level of this amino acid, it seemed like the matcha had the more potent effect. Just some thoughts. I have been meaning to join anyways. Yesterday I was looking over the topics for the MAPS lectures and saw the one concerning plant alkaloid testing. Until then I had just written the Nexus off as simply another forum. After the latter part of my day dissolved into these pages yesterday, I figured that I might as well sign up.

Back
Top Bottom