• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Pressure cooker and aya

Migrated topic.

Tak0010

Rising Star
Anyone have any experience or thought on using a pressure cooker to prepare a vine brew??

I know I've read that too much heat will cause carmelization of some plant sugars. Would using a PC still allow this to happen??

I would also think that using a PC could reduce cook times, just like with food, but I'm not familiar with how the pressure would affect the alkaloid release.

Also, is there a temperature threshold for alkaloid release?? I haven't been able to find a specific temp.

I don't know about the heat, but be very! careful with lose plant material in a pressure cooker. The fibers could clog the vents and then you get pressure build up and a possibly an exploding pot.

I've cooked rue in glasses in a PC before, but they tend to spill while cooking, so I didn't bother with it any more and used normal pots.

I don't think my pressure cooker vent could clog. I have an Instant Pot and all the plant material is submerged.

So I did my first cook of 1.5hrs under low pressure setting. I checked the temp as soon as I opened it and it was at 205. Assuming pressure won't affect the alkaloids, it should turn out good.

I did one regular heat cycle on ~110g for 3 hours and I'm going to do 1 more PC, then reduce.

I'm also going to save all plant material in case it turns out bunk.

Back
Top Bottom