• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

reducing citric acid levels in mescaline citrate?

Migrated topic.

LemonScented

Rising Star
here's swim's dilemma: his san pedro extraction went well however, he suspects the yield contains a larger than normal concentration of citric acid (the yield weighed 23 grams and he suspects about 10 gram of it is citric acid). how could he go about purifying his mescaline citrate?

Very good question. I'd also like to know a method that ACTUALLY works.

Supposedly you should be able to wash away the citric acid with acetone. However, when SWIM did that, his mescaline citrate washed away with it!

Also you’re supposedly able to freeze precipitate mescaline citrate out of water and the citric acid will stay dissolved. SWIM tried this many times and nothing precipitated out.

Now that was a while back, and maybe this all failed because his cactus was void of mescaline. It’s possible. He had some pretty bunk cactus back then.

swim tried the second method this morning, same results. perhaps it was frozen too much. i'll try this again later.

had an idea earlier... if the yield was dissolved in water and calcium hyrdoxide was added to raise the pH to 10. could citric acid be removed then? via freezing?

LemonScented said:
swim tried the second method this morning, same results. perhaps it was frozen too much. i'll try this again later.

had an idea earlier... if the yield was dissolved in water and calcium hyrdoxide was added to raise the pH to 10. could citric acid be removed then? via freezing?
Well, if you raise the pH to alkaline conditions I suspect your mescaline would no longer be in citrate form and precipitate out as a freebase.

West-en said:
LemonScented said:

Well, if you raise the pH to alkaline conditions I suspect your mescaline would no longer be in citrate form and precipitate out as a freebase.

Unfortunately freebase mescaline is quite soluble in water and will not precipitate out.

swim just disolved 380mg of his yield in 50ml of acetic acid (5%). he then boiled this down to yield about 70mg of reddish-brown resin. is this mescaline acetate? I recall seeing a picture of mescaline HCl and it looking about the same..

if it is, does this mean that there could far more citric acid than he previously reported? 70mg is around 18% of 380mg -- his orignal yield could contain up to 18 grams of citric acid and about 4.14 grams worth of mescaline!

btw this 70mg of mysterious goop appears to have some crystalization potential.. not much but by far better than the mescaline citrate.

swim doubt he can find diluted HCL around here.. diluting it requires swim bringing this horrible shit into his home and hoping he doesn't spill a drop.

but back to the original subject.. is dissolving mescaline citrate in acetic acid a logical way for converting to mescaline acetate? swim found no traces of citric acid in this amber colored resin.. or maybe he just boiled it off. dont know

LemonScented said:
swim doubt he can find diluted HCL around here.. diluting it requires swim bringing this horrible shit into his home and hoping he doesn't spill a drop.

but back to the original subject.. is dissolving mescaline citrate in acetic acid a logical way for converting to mescaline acetate? swim found no traces of citric acid in this amber colored resin.. or maybe he just boiled it off. dont know

No that won't work.

Acetic acid is a weaker acid than citric acid. You need a stronger acid, not a weaker one. You'll need HCl or sulfuric acid, something like that. Only a stronger acid can unhook a weaker acid, not the other way around.

mescaline boils at 184C and citric acid boils at 140C. can't you boil the citric acid off without destroying the mescaline?

that would account for the amber goo that percipitated when I boiled it off.

The boiling point of mescaline citrate is probably not the same as the boiling point of mescaline freebase. Salts normally boil at higher temperatures than freebase compounds. It's likely mescaline citrate will decompose rather than boil, but without any data on mescaline citrate it’s really hard to say for sure.

This is where some good testing comes in handy.

At some point in the future SWIM will tackle mescaline citrate again and find out all this data on his own if someone else doesn’t beat him to it.

that would be great.

this stuff is barely active at 2 grams. it's extremely impure. swim is hoping to find something fruitful at 3 grams

Back
Top Bottom