• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Requiring an introduction essay w/ minimum 14 day shelflife?

Migrated topic.

Ljosalfar

Rising Star
I have sought but often not found new members' intro essays, especially when initial posts are lacking in consideration or otherwise severely off-base.
A required first-post introduction that cannot be deleted for 14 days might engender more reflection and less cavalier cannon-balling in the Nursery.
Thank you,
L

This does not seem like a bad idea, but it may deter some new members from joining.

I do not mind that moderators and administrators promote certain new members - some of whom may not have an introduction essay yet - after getting to know them better.

More rules I believe are not necessary, as if there is a problem with a member, it seems like it could be easily handled. Trouble makers are obvious on a site that strongly supports a mature, factual discussion. Although we might try to poke fun at each other, sometimes it comes off in a different tone to those reading our unemotional text.

we dont want to become an elitist wasteland like the collective.
I agree, we do not.
My proposal is not elitist, it would not make membership exclusive. I think it would encourage members to pause and think as they present themselves for the first time on the forum.
My opinion is that a paragraph or two with a 2 week permanence is not simply "more rules", but a policy that might improve the forum and discourage intrusive, thoughtless entrances. To be clear, I'm not crusading for this change, and don't want to grind away at this. I am interested in seeing a discussion here, if others have perspectives to offer.
Thank you,
L

Making it un-delete-able would make it harder for someone who realized after they posted that their post was inappropriate to correct the problem. Perhaps a page that comes up when someone tries to make a first post in the nursery intros explaining the importance of that post and linking to some examples could be an alternative. It would be similar to the intro pm but focused specifically on the intro post and would come up when they click New Topic.

Back
Top Bottom