• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Research Suggestion: Goldenrain Tree / Pride of India

Migrated topic.

dropthemillstone

Rising Star
I walk around my suburban rocky mountain neighborhood and started smelling DMT a lot of places once I knew what the smell was. It did not take long before I realized that this was a tree and not 7 or 8 homes lighting spice exactly when I was walking.

This tree, Koelreuteria paniculata, smells exactly like the spice I smoked a few months ago - IDK if it was Acacia or Mimosa. Some of them also have a layer of jasmine type smell that is more forward. Anyway, it is a dynamic smell, not just one note, but the DMT seems very strong to me in the overall profile. I could not find where entheogenic alkaloids have been confirmed and my chemistry knowledge is less than nil. Would someone be interested in checking it out? Imagine if a powerful entheogen could grow outdoors in climate zones below 6 or 7? I guess this could go no where, but the similarity in the nose is crazy.

Here are some links:
Plants for a Future: Golden Rain Tree

Edibility:
eat the weeds: golden rain tree

Very old tree. The seeds contain N-Acetylglucosamine - a binding lectin. The tree is known to be toxic to livestock. Paniculoid 13, strychnine and possibly cystine have been isolated from the seeds of Koelreuteria paniculata. In Chinese history, Koelreuteria paniculata was one of the five official trees which could be planted as a memorial by a tomb.

That's all I can find in regards to alkaloids. I'd be really surprised if there was any related info regarding entheogenic value, considering the extremely toxic alkaloids.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf034013i

--

:|

Thanks for the helpful response. I know, of course, that smelling like something does not equal that thing, but the similarity is pretty amazing. I know people commonly refer to the dmt smell loosely as "floral" and sometimes it's compared to mothballs. That is exactly the aroma I sense coming off of this tree with a slightly sweeter refinement.

Interesting factoid about its use as memorials. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom