• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

separators funnel? is from a well known site with not the best quality stuff. but would it would

dextopia

its a good day for chemistry
my buddy is looking for a sep funnel haven’t tried it yet but would like to step up his process in the lab. it seems like it might but i’m no expert letting him know. here’s a photo of it and its components. IMG_3060.jpeg

Alright so you'll need a clear wine bottle some ptfe tape, a threaded inline tap that fits tightly within the neck of the wine bottle, optional cork washer, cork and a drill bit and drill for glass.

Make sure if you get a plastic inline tap to ensure that the type of plastic won't react with your solvents. There are solvent and plastic reactivity charts on nexus and online, check them.

Get ya threaded inline tap and apply ptfe (plumbers tape) to the thread. ptfe tape won't react to any solvents will make the seal tight between the tap and the neck of the wine bottle and seal up any leaks.

Twist it into the neck of the wine bottle.

Next very carefully drill a hole in the bottom of the wine bottle (don't crack it like I did), drill a big enough hole to get a funnel and cork in there. Dremel tool works well for drilling.

Cork it up. And you're done.

Note: If the threaded inline tap is too small to fit in the neck comfortably you can optionally drill a hole in the cap of the wine bottle thread a nut on the end of the tap and sandwhich the bottle cap in-between the threaded tap and nut while sealing with a cork washer.

Note: these photos are illustrations only.

Attachments

• 20240508_102140.jpg
    20240508_102140.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240508_102218.jpg
    20240508_102218.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240508_113407.jpg
    20240508_113407.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240508_113345.jpg
    20240508_113345.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 14
dude h e l l ya.

Alright so you'll need a clear wine bottle some ptfe tape, a threaded inline tap that fits tightly within the neck of the wine bottle, optional cork washer, cork and a drill bit and drill for glass.

Make sure if you get a plastic inline tap to ensure that the type of plastic won't react with your solvents. There are solvent and plastic reactivity charts on nexus and online, check them.

Get ya threaded inline tap and apply ptfe (plumbers tape) to the thread. ptfe tape won't react to any solvents will make the seal tight between the tap and the neck of the wine bottle and seal up any leaks.

Next very carefully drill a hole in the bottom of the wine bottle (don't crack it like I did), drill a big enough hole to get a funnel and cork in there. Dremel tool works well for drilling.

Note: If the threaded inline tap is too small to fit in the neck comfortably you can optionally drill a hole in the cap of the wine bottle thread a nut on the end of the tap and sandwhich the bottle cap in-between the threaded tap and nut while sealing with a cork washer.

brilliant. this is mostly how my buddy does things. we call it hillbilly engineering

Hey nice design Trip.. I used to use an upside down wine bottle with a hole in the base (the bottom when faced up) which I'd use a glass drill for.. then would just gently unscrew the lid a little until the liquid came out and tighten it as I needed to to stop the flow. Wasn't sure if I should mention such a practice but its clearly obsolete at this point. The danger with doing it that way of course is if the lid gives in for whatever reason it will drop a whole bunch of caustic liquid which is NOT good. You would want to have your hand around the lid ready to stop the next partition

Last edited:
i

i know this is older post it was successful next question is cork. can i use a dowel(wood) wrapped in plumbers tape

Cork is more compressible than dowel, so be careful with your hole size, and ptfe tape is very slippery, so might interfere with the bung staying in properly.

But chemically that will be fine. You'll just have to experiment with the physics side of things yourself :)

Cork is more compressible than dowel, so be careful with your hole size, and ptfe tape is very slippery, so might interfere with the bung staying in properly.

But chemically that will be fine. You'll just have to experiment with the physics side of things yourself :)
It's good working practice to hold the stopper in place manually during use of the sep funnel anyhow, just in case pressure develops from solvent vapours or other kinds of gas evolution (e.g. washing with carbonates or bicarbonates).

It's good working practice to hold the stopper in place manually during use of the sep funnel anyhow, just in case pressure develops from solvent vapours or other kinds of gas evolution (e.g. washing with carbonates or bicarbonates)
Thank you to both. so with a sep. you doing mix your base and solvent inside of it right you do that in a beaker/flask then transfer it into the sep funnel

Thank you to both. so with a sep. you doing mix your base and solvent inside of it right you do that in a beaker/flask then transfer it into the sep funnel
Because of the large volume of base-soup it would be more practical to just use it for the final separation. But yes in practice one could use it for the separation of the soup and naphtha. Annoyingly you would then need to put the soup back in for the next pull. DCM would then be more practical since it would not be the top layer.

I think it is nice to have one but especially with large volumes it can be a hassle and dangerous thing, venting is important.

My advice would be to not go the diy route and just invest 60$ for a small one and use it for the final separation after decanting.

Because of the large volume of base-soup it would be more practical to just use it for the final separation. But yes in practice one could use it for the separation of the soup and naphtha. Annoyingly you would then need to put the soup back in for the next pull. DCM would then be more practical since it would not be the top layer.

I think it is nice to have one but especially with large volumes it can be a hassle and dangerous thing, venting is important.

My advice would be to not go the diy route and just invest 60$ for a small one and use it for the final separation after decanting.
Yes, using a sep funnel with the base soup would be a complete PITA since you'd be draining caustic sludge through the stopcock and that's just not a good idea. A sep funnel would be far more use for something like a SC wash of the naphtha after pulling - or, as @Varallo says, doing DCM pulls and I would add, on an A/B extraction, not an STB since the sludge is too dense and the separation would most likely be terrible to the extent of becoming caustic toxic mayonnaise. Add to that that the size of the average STB extraction would mean you'd need something like a 1.5 - 2L funnel and it's starting to get rather cumbersome.

However, back on the ghetto line of things, it's possible (or at least it used to be) to find distilled water being sold in 5L HDPE jerrycans with two outlets, one being the usual wide-bore cap and the other being a much smaller pouring spout. One of those might be handy for the initial separation of naphtha.
^A bit like this, but the 5L version has more of a funnel-like protuberance where the small cap is attached.

My advice would be to not go the diy route and just invest 60$ for a small one and use it for the final separation after decantin
okay so what i’m reading is say doing 100 g x and pulls like regular in beaker or flask with a pipette but you don’t have to be as careful then transfer to sep….

Back
Top Bottom