• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Soxhlet Bufotenine Extraction

Migrated topic.

ThirdEyeVision

Rising Star
A friend of mine is going to do a pull on some cebil seeds using his soxhlet. His plan:
1) toast seeds.
2) grind seeds.
3) put ground seeds in beaker and ad naptha to defat. Repeat until naptha remains clear. Decant and keep solids.
4) dry seeds of naptha.
5) basify with hydrated lime and little water.
6) toast again to dry.
7) load into soxhlet and pull with DCM over night.
8 ) reduce solvent via distilation.
9) salt with diluted HCL

Does this procedure sound feasible?
Is this the best solvent/acid combo?

I'd defat with DCM in the soxhlet. Naphtha won't get rid of anywhere near enough fats. Then I'd base and pull with IPA and evap. Then use acetone/mek:heptane/naphtha mix or xylene boil to clean up the extract.

Remember to snap your seeds in two before toasting or they will explode like popcorn when you put them in the oven.

And don't forget to open the window to let the nasty smell out:!:

OF

Thank you for the help!
So revised plan to:

1) toast seeds, snap in half first.
2) grind seeds.
3) Defat with DCM in soxhlet until clear.
4) dry seeds of DCM.
5) basify with hydrated lime and little water.
6) toast again to dry.
7) load into soxhlet and pull with IPA over night.
8 ) reduce solvent via distilation.
9) evap remaining IPA
10) clean with MEK/heptane mix.

That would be pulling the free base, is that a stable form for storage or just for use?

soulfood said:
I'd defat with DCM in the soxhlet. Naphtha won't get rid of anywhere near enough fats. Then I'd base and pull with IPA and evap. Then use acetone/mek:heptane/naphtha mix or xylene boil to clean up the extract.

Has anyone zeroed in on the right acetone:mek combo? I pulled up the old 69Ron thread and the heptane:naptha mix was settled but not the acetone:mek. Anyone know anyone who continued experimenting with that combo? Heptane is just so expensive.

you dont want to use acetone and mek..you need either acetone and heptane....acetone or naphthat...or mek and heptane or mek and naphtha

Jorkest said:
you dont want to use acetone and mek..you need either acetone and heptane....acetone or naphthat...or mek and heptane or mek and naphtha
Thanks, I fixed it.

Soulfood, so DCM has worked best for your friends defat? I know in freebase form bufotenine is highly soluble in DCM, was there any loss in yield defatting with DCM? Obviously it is still in salt form and I guess the salt isn't soluble at all.

:!: :!:
HELL YES! Thanks so much for this thread!
ThirdEyeVision - My friend is going to try the same thing but here is his plan: 8)

1) Toast seeds, snap in half first.
2) Grind seeds in a herb grinder untill fine
3) Put powder in soxhlet, using a cotton bud as a stopper top and bottom.
4) Run overnight with acetone 60-70ml
69Ron: Acetone @ 20 C: soluble (5 g/100 ml)
5) Add vinigar to salt out bufotenine.
6) Pour off acetone, and let it dry out.
7) Convert the left over solids back to Bufotenine freebase by adding a spoonful(2g) of Sodium Carbonate and just enough water to turn them into a pasty consistency. Dry completely.
8 ) load into soxhlet and pull with IPA over night.
9) reduce solvent via distilation.
10) evap remaining IPA
11) Not sure how to clean it? does he need to? what other toxins are present?

(He can't get his hands on heptane or DCM or any cool solvents.
What is suggested here?)

:arrow: i figure 50g should yield a little less than:
1.5g bufotenine
0.4g 5-MeO-DMT
0.1g n,n-DMT

Thanks again,

D_Juggz said:
:!: :!:

69Ron: Acetone @ 20 C: soluble (5 g/100 ml)
5) Add vinigar to salt out bufotenine.

I'm a little confused about this bit. Unless you basify the seeds before the acetone wash this will just work as a defatting step and the alkaloids will remain in the seeds.

I'm also pretty sure even if you did rinse out the basified alkaloids with acetone, by adding vinegar you would be making bufotnenine acetate and all acetates I've come across are soluble in acetone.

Make sure you basify before you rinse the seeds and salt out the goods with citric or fumaric acid.

I agree with soulfood about basifying prior to alk pull. A defat wouldn't be a bad idea though. Let us know how your friend does.

Your friend might want to throw some DE in the soxhlet with the powdered seeds.

Thanks for the quick responses, we are all here to learn. Could someone please explain, how the pka of bufotenine works? eg, basified it is soluble in Acetone, but acidified (but not acetate) it is insoluble in acetone. How about IPA? same deal?

4) Run overnight with basified acetone 60-70ml (NaOH?) + (DE)
5) Add Citric acid to salt out bufotenine. --This would work right?
7) Convert the left over solids back to Bufotenine freebase by adding a spoonful(2g) of Sodium Carbonate and just enough water to turn them into a pasty consistency. Dry completely.
10) evap remaining IPA

What is DE, sorry?

I've added some changes here:

3) Add 1 part sodium carbonate to 4 parts seeds material then moisten enough to make a paste.
4) Allow to dry then grind to a powder
5) Add Citric acid saturated acetone to salt out bufotenine.
10) evap remaining IPA

awesome! and the sodium carbonate in 4. basifies it enough to be soluble in the acetone - good idea!
SWIM can't wait to try this method!

I WOULD Like 69Ron's opinion since he probably has tried this before...

g13juggalo said:
Any way one could do this, but only using acetone as a solvent, as well as whatever one would need to basify?

Yes. Bufotenine freebase is soluble in acetone. So do the above but replace the IPA for Acetone.

Ahh. Thanks.

Any way one could basify it in one step? It seems unnecessary to do it between so many steps. and would the last pull be necessary, or is it just to clean?

and where should I get citric acid?

Back
Top Bottom