• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The age old question, Acacia Obtusifolia or Longiflora?

Migrated topic.

Caacia

Rising Star
I do hate to be one of many to flood this site requesting plant identification and whilst I do consider myself quite savy in IDing Acacia I struggle with these longiflora look alikes.
So I am expecting this to be a longiflora but as I said more often then not I am inclined to lean towards longiflora for ID with these sorts of leaves.

Attachments

• DSC_0250.JPG
    DSC_0250.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0241.JPG
    DSC_0241.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0216.JPG
    DSC_0216.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0239.JPG
    DSC_0239.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0209.JPG
    DSC_0209.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I dont know if this helps you ? from the wiki..
"is closely related to Acacia longifolia. Acacia obtusifolia can be distinguished by it having phyllode margins which are resinous, it usually blooms later in the year and it has paler flowers than Acacia longifolia."

Thanks Dreamtripper I am familiar with the flower color and bloom time although I don't quite know how to interpret resinous margins....

Caacia said:
Thanks Dreamtripper I am familiar with the flower color and bloom time although I don't quite know how to interpret resinous margins....

Maybe the edge of the leaves being slightly sticky when touched?

DreaMTripper said:
Caacia said:

Maybe the edge of the leaves being slightly sticky when touched?

Well that sounds down right logical. :)

looks like you have longifolia... though I was thinking it looks similar to photos I've seen of the active variety?

obtusifolia can be distinguished by its phyllodes rounded "blunt" tips, red resinous edges and irregular "twists" or indents. doesn't usually grow prostrate like many varieties of longifolia.. though some do

Back
Top Bottom