• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

The Allegory of the Cave (Promo Essay)

Migrated topic.

Lift

SWIM
The craziest thing happened just after I vaped some spice and I thought you guys here would find it both amusing and profound. Once I started going, I thought I'd offer my academic prowess as a gift to this wonderful forum, in the form of a promo essay. Please feel free to disagree with my interpretation. In the end, you'll know the origin of my psychedelic nickname and handle on this forum, a name given to me by an ancient friend.

This all started after I was feeling all glowy-and-mellow from my experience, so I said fuck it, I'm ordering a pizza instead of cooking up some lunch. I'm still only about 15 minutes off my dose when I step out of my house to go walk to the pizzeria and I see, scratched into the glass wall of a phone booth, the following letters:

D M T

I'm thinking, holy shit, what serendipity! But also, why would some petty vandal bother with such a message? Turns out, I was looking THROUGH the phone booth. Somebody had carved:

T M O

on the outside, and because the "O" was all square-like from the long scratches, I just thought it was a "D." A chill went down my spine even moreso than it would have if it said DMT. There was something about the act of "seeing through" reality in order to discern a totally different meaning that what was actually implied. All at once the world seemed to turn in on itself and I was conscious of my "limited" three-dimensional perspective on the city street scene. I felt like the Spice itself was sending me a message, something to the effect of--"Your simple, ultimately shallow reality is just a surface reflection of a wholly different set of natural laws, this being an illustrative example."

I thought at once of Plato and his Allegory of the Cave.

And I was humbled.

So what is Plato's Allegory of the Cave? Let's examine it in the context of psychedelics, because in my opinion, this is exactly the kind of "enlightenment" that comes with a major, revelatory psychedelic experience, and the Greeks of Plato's time were well known for the "Eleusinian Mysteries," which many scholars infer was a once-in-a-lifetime psychedelic coming-of-age Shamanic experience. I firmly believe that the Greeks, and the Hebrews, and all ancient societies, going back to the Egyptians, had an elite, "Priesthood" class that regularly used psychedelic medicines to explore their intellects and the meaning of existence in this world. It may be hard to believe in today's screwed up world, but there was once a time when knowledge "Gnosis" was not feared, but prized above all else.

So, again, what is the Allegory of the Cave? Well, it's a philosophical principle found in "The Republic" that has sustained for centuries. To make a long story short, Plato argues that the majority of people in the world are as unenlightened as a gaggle of prisoners bound by chains in a cave and forced to watch 2-dimensional shadow puppet shows all their life. They are isolated from even each other. They don't know they are even human! They think they are in fact shadows, that this is all there is to the Universe. They represent the majority of human beings in the world.

Well, you take one of these people and you unchain them, they are going to turn around and see the "campfire" that projects the light that makes the shadow puppets. They are going to freak the fuck out, right? So much so, Plato argues, they will deny the "reality" of the fire and the puppets and declare that his former reality was "more real." I think that this represents a number of people who are shown the reality of psychedelic experience. They take this substance, this "drug," and though it undermines, dwarfs, and exposes the frivolity of their shadow-puppet world, they deny it. They can't wait to slip back into those chains! (Brief aside-I do not condemn anyone for getting "high" on psychedelics, I'm not one to criticize anyone's trip!)

For the rest of us, who are eager to "see how far the rabbit hole goes" (forgive me for mixing metaphors here, but you can't help but think about The Matrix), it doesn't get any easier. All of our lives we have been conditioned to the low light of the campfire on the wall! Obviously, Plato uses light to represent enlightenment or "Truth." Simply looking at the campfire is blinding to us. I believe that here, Plato is illustrating just how difficult it is to even stand in the presence of Truth, and that it takes some adjusting to. Our first encounter with the Truth (or The Other, what-have-you) is bedazzlement.

But now there is a third step. Fire is only one kind of light. Now this poor sap is dragged out of the cave entirely and given the Sun itself to behold. It will take some time, he starts with shadows, then reflections in pools of water. But after a while, he can see there are people here! Plato says:

Last of he will be able to see the sun, and not mere reflections of him in the water, but he will see him in his own proper place, and not in another; and he will contemplate him as he is.

Sound like a familiar revelation? So this enlightened person spends some time in the sun, and eventually figures out all the truths that define the sun's role in our Universe, a bringer of heat, life, seasons, etc. Now here is where Plato makes an interesting point, one that speaks well of the psychedelic experience. This person looks with pity on his former life as a shadow-cave-prisoner, and he goes back in to help liberate his fellow prisoners. But his eyes are adjusted to the light of the sun, and when he tries to compete with the slaves, to argue in the context of their 2-dimensional illusion world, he's unfit. He can barely see down there! They mock him and tell him he's more blind now that he's had his little journey! They say that it is better not to even think of ascending! (Aside-Perhaps the shadow prisoners could pass a law to make it illegal?)

Such is the impossibility of bringing the Truth of Enlightenment to those who do not take the journey themselves, eagerly and open-mindedly. Plato concludes:

My opinion is that in the world of knowledge the idea of good appears last of all, and is seen only with an effort; and, when seen, is also inferred to be the universal author of all things beautiful and right, parent of light and of the lord of light in this visible world, and the immediate source of reason and truth in the intellectual; and that this is the power upon which he who would act rationally, either in public or private life must have his eye fixed.

So that's it, what do you think? I now have 15 years of psychedelic experience under my belt. For many of these years, I watched my friends and trip-mates taper off, admit that they are no longer interested in the psychedelic experience, until it was only I that remained. It was about this time that I realized that the content of these trips were not mere illusions and phantasms, but deeply profound spiritual truths that do not fade with the passing of the experience.

I once came upon a comic strip by a very psychedelic comic artist that made my hair stand up on end with regard to this experience. I leave you with this.

sos52dontbe.gif

Awesome .

Nice to meet you Lift. welcome to this cool-ass site. I just joined here also , but I just wanna say hey. And ..... man , I love your intro. Fabulous is the Sun !!!!! Amun-Re

peace and universal blessings,
KyKy

Cool comic strip! Welcome.

But how do you know that DMT is showing you truth? Maybe in reality, you're already living by firelight, and when you smoke DMT it is chaining you to the wall to watch the shadows instead... but perhaps because these are pretty, colourful shadows you mistakenly think you're finally seeing by sunlight? Who knows what is real and what is not. I agree that the psychedelic experience can instil a wonder and respect for life, but I doubt one could ever know if it shows 'truth'. In any case, what does it matter what is 'truth', when we a bound to live in our own experiences? ;)

Good points! In the classical, Hellenist tradition, the object of truth is derived from the Theory of Forms. To make a long story short, arrival at truth comes from understanding that the universe contains "ideal states" that transcend our human capacity of understanding. Does the psychedelic experience reveal these forms? Worst case scenario, I believe that it offers a glimpse.

(Again, I hate to do it, but I can't help but think of the scene with Neo, from The Matrix, sitting in the abandoned building, his heart racing as the team of "enlightened" hackers rig him up to this machine. It's like he's already taken "the psychedelic" when Morpheus asks what kind of trip he'd like to take. He can have the red pill or the blue pill. If you don't actively invest yourself in the potential of the psychedelic, you can by all means have a "blue pill" time, and a grand old time at that. I'm not knocking it.)

Personally, I feel that one cannot understand "reality," that is, the commingling of our fives senses as a thing-in-itself, until one can stop and peer from the outside in. Our perspective on reality only becomes "something" once we alter it and understand that there are "other" perspectives. I don't feel that this is found in any old altered state of consciousness that cloud, dull, and anesthetize, but in the psychedelic experience exclusively (perhaps fasting, sleep deprivation, sure)

How do I know that the psychedelic isn't tricking me/us with images of grandeur and giving the false sense of enlightenment? It can, you are right. It is totally up to us. I would defer to works of art that are inspired by artists who have had their consciousness expanded by psychedelics. Art, in my mind, is the highest ideal of mankind. I'm not saying that psychedelic-using artists trump all others, I'm only saying that what ideas they arrive at advance and cultivate our understanding of the world.

But enough of my pedantry, check out this Plato excerpt and tell me he's not tripping on something when he had this vision. He's talking about the "upper Earth":

"The colors are brighter and far clearer than ours, there is a purple of wonderful luster, also the radiance of gold, and the white which is whiter than any chalk or snow. Of these and other colors the [upper] Earth is made up, and they are more in number and fairer than the eye of man has ever seen, and the very hollows [this is the place we dwell] filled with air and water are seen like flashing amid other colors, and have a color of their own, which gives a sort of unity to the variety of Earth. And in this fair region everything that grows--trees, and flowers, and fruits--is in a like degree fairer in color than our highly valued emeralds and sardonyxes and jaspers, and other gems, which are but minute fragments of them: for there all the stones are like our precious stones, fairer still. The reason of this is that they are pure, and not, like our precious stones, infected or corroded by the corrupt briny elements that coagulate among us, and which breed foulness and disease in earth and stones, as well as in animals and plants. They are the jewels of the Upper Earth, which also shines with gold and silver and the like....Also they have temples and sacred places in which the Gods really dwell, and they hear their voices and recieve their answers, and are conscious of them, and hold converse with them, and they see the sun, the moon, the stars, as they really are....

I'm not sure if any philosophers believe in the forms any more.
We could grow a certain 'perfect' way according to a 'perfect' version of our genetic code (but what is perfect, there could be infinite variations all differently able?), but environmental factors shape us. However, we are programmed to grow within the environment, we would be deformed if we grew devoid of forces like gravity, so I think all these variables cannot be separated from the process. The universe is a mathematical chaotic system, so variables are inseparable from the process, because they ARE the process.

I wonder if you can see the world as it really is, with further senses to the ones we already possess. Just adding xray and thermal vision to our site isn't enough. To see existence as it really is, would one have to experience it all at once, rather than over time? Otherwise would a true understanding not be had, so one would not be viewing 'as it really is'? Would one have to be omnipotent, if one would have to BE the universe itself to know and understand all, otherwise one would not know what it was to BE ALL? Certainly unfathomable for my puny brain!

Plato was a Nazi, have you studied his version of utopia, it's a total dystopia!

haha! Yes, Plato had some dangerously oppressive ideas for "the masses," and I get a kick out of his "ideal state" in The Republic for this reason. You definitely have him pegged there. While I do think much of western political thought stems from Plato to this day, I'm really not interested in the relevance of his philosophy, so much as the inkling to an ancient western Shamanism, if there really is such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom