• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

tips on growing desmanthus illinoensis and chacruna?

Migrated topic.

jamie

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
I just ordered some chacruna berries and illinoensis seeds..looking for tips on growing them..

It said in the site that illinoensis is easy to grow..I am guess much easier than chacruna..

How fast is illinoensis? is it real slow like mimosa?

Chacruna seems to be really hard to grow outside its native conditions.... I managed to get 1 seed to sprout after about 2.5 months ... got all excited... then a few weeks later it died :(

so my seeds are here..the chacruna is the berries..anyone know how long they are viable for.should I just germinate asap?

Also about the bundleflower seeds..I have 100 of them..so do they stay viable for a while? I only want to try to germinate some of them right now not all of them..

The Bundleflower seeds should stay viable for awhile.

I germinated mine by boiling water, dumping the seeds in the water and stirring then putting the seeds in some dirt and covering with a humidity tent. They germinate after 2-3 days this way.

As far as my experience goes, the Bundleflower is a somewhat finicky plant and takes a while to grow. I've got some that are about half a year old and about a foot tall, but they're dying down because of winter.

SWIM would suggest experimenting with D. leptolobus which regularly contains a medium level of DMT, unlike illinoensis which has a variable level. Or some kind of Phalaris, which grow much faster.

Psychotria is super easy to grow if you get medium sized life plants.

Growing it from seed can be hard.

PM me for a source of REAL Psychotria viridis plants!

Ok so I have about 12 bundleflowers that already have a second set of leaves..they are seperatd into 2 pots..each pot has plastic over the top to keep it humid but a few are hitting the plastic already..anyone know how much humidity they need?..I want to repot them seperatily now and put them in larger humidity grow tent with shelves..

Also some info on lighting would be greatly appreciated..I have 1 lamp on them right now nad it seems to be going good.. eventually I will up the light to 2 lamps..all this is indoor in a shelved gorw tent and they will go outside for the summer..

And has anyone had success extracting from the rootbark before?

The chacruna still has not germinated..

Swim has successfully extracted from both the whole root and the root bark of I.d. The best growing tip i can give on these requires them to be in the ground.. and it basically consists of forming a bigger root system by starving the roots a little for water and when they do get it.. make them stretch for it. After all , the root is what we are going for with this species.
Just by starving them for water , and by watering them at a distance (making the root stretch to reach the water source) you can DRASTICALLY increase the size of the root system, hence , increasing productivity. This is a very worthwhile species for our goal, and swim thinks that it is underrated and ignored by most of us. It deserves in his humble opinion , much more attention. Peace !

cool thanks spiceman..
So I am guessing that taking cuttings is not a possability with this species when I harvest the roots..or can I take cuttings from the less woody growth tips?..seems better than germinating seeds all over again..

Back
Top Bottom