• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Torch to ID

Migrated topic.

rOm

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
I've adopt this torch from somebody who wasn't quite sure about its origin.
He said first it was san pedro then peruvian torch...

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 0
Hmmmm , don't know for sure man , but it doesn't have really thin ribs, like Cereus jamacaru , and it doesn't have excessively long spines that blacken near the top . those are the two i find most confusing , and I dont think its either off those, but i cant see the little "V" shaped indents above the spines , which was told most torches have.

Hope that helps, although I've never seen a torch in person

It looks a little bit off to me... The ribs are very long radially and the spines look more consistently white than I would expect. But, in different growing conditions trichs can look very different. I think a top down shot would help ID it.

top ot the torch.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 0
I really can't rule out torch. It could be a peruvianus or a cuzcoensis easily, but for some reason it looks a bit off to me... It's definitely not a cereus anyways. The long central spine with radial small spines and white spine color makes me think its cuzcoensis, but its really hard to tell some trichs apart. Sorry I couldn't help, maybe a pro grower around here will know.

id say its a cuzcoensis... inactive
sorry bro, this one looks to be a dud... give it a sample who knows. if its bitter thats a good thing.. really bitter though

TBH I just want to know whqt is it for the sake of botany.
It's a big plant and I like to keep it in my living room along with others.
It feels good to watch plants growing and care for them ;)

sorry, imo not a trico

i bet the guys at Australian cacti, or coroboree could help get an exact id (i bet they ask for clearer pics...)

im glad you want to keep it either way, but a cacti of that stature might not be happy indoors for long.
if the tip gets light green or white it is starving for light( will also grow skinny and pale at tip, and reach for light over time)

also, even fast growing cacti can quickly and easily be overwatered when growth slows. be sure to use fast draining soil, and allow to fully dry out between waterings

hope that helps
dg

Suicybe said:
id say its a cuzcoensis... inactive
sorry bro, this one looks to be a dud... give it a sample who knows. if its bitter thats a good thing.. really bitter though

Unfortunately- this is true. What you have there is definitely cuzcoensis. Sorry man, thats a bummer bro. You could always try making a brew from it, but cuzcoensis generally has a very low mesc. content, if any..

True peruvian pedro is usually your best bet to avoid mis-identification. Cuzcoensis i believe usually has distinctly bright white spines, whereas peruvian torch generally has darker flame colored spines, hence its fiery title :) Along with its effects of course 8)

If your really bummed, PM me for a source of a good true peruvian pedro cuttings :) i dont know if the vendor would like me to post his name all over this forum, so i think its respectful to not disclose it publicly.

Well it's a FOAF who trade it for very low and I don't feel to have get bummed really. It's great ornemental plant in a living room.
So I'm really no much disappointed about it.
Thanks for responding everyone.
Much peace and creativity for 2011.

Back
Top Bottom