• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

what's wrong with my salvia plant?

JohnLead

Rising Star
I bought this salvia divinorum, it was doing fine but suddenly new leaves began to curl, just the new leaves, and stop growing. I've detected very small amount of mites, so i sprayed sulphur (white on levaes) to control it. Seems to removed the mites, but i don't know if that the real problem. the new leaves and shouts stop growing and are very dififult to develop. I'm afraid of losing my plant.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20240623_141441.jpg
    PHOTO_20240623_141441.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240516_145840.png
    IMG_20240516_145840.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 16
I bought this salvia divinorum, it was doing fine but suddenly new leaves began to curl, just the new leaves, and stop growing. I've detected very small amount of mites, so i sprayed sulphur (white on levaes) to control it. Seems to removed the mites, but i don't know if that the real problem. the new leaves and shouts stop growing and are very dififult to develop. I'm afraid of losing my plant.
Now, I'm no expert but the soil in your pot looks very dry. I'd always been led to believe that S. divinorum prefers a more humid atmosphere (and mites thrive in a dry atmosphere). Also, the direct sunlight may be a bit much for it at this time of year if you're in the northern hemisphere.

I'd suggest washing the last of the mites off with whatever strong spray of water the plant can tolerate (like, don't shred it with a jet wash or anything!) followed by maybe a foliar feed and a dusting of diatomaceous earth for good measure. Beyond that, I hope someone who hasn't killed their only salvia cutting, like I did*, will be able to chime in.

*This was 15 years ago and I never took the opportunity to try again.

I'd also get her out of direct sunlight or it could be a humidity thing. Diluted neem oil in water for controlling mites and is probably better than sulphur which I feel may dry the leaves out.

lately I found out that you can recover a Salvia plant from a tiny piece with just a little leaf. If you place it in clean soaking soil under a tent of plastic foil and then for the window facing (morning) sun. The glass and plastic foil will protect the plant from the sun enough. Also wrap the foil around the pot so it becomes a green house. Open it after a few days to check and pierce a little hole for air (out of the sun). That way it will root and grow fast.

Quick question, how do you dilute your neem oil if you've only got the pure oil?
I totally see your confusion is more in my poor choice of wording.

Dilute pure oil with water. I usually use 1ml to 250ml with a tiny squirt of Dr Bronners castille soap and spray affected area.

Back
Top Bottom