• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Wiki/Forum Integration as a Comprehensive Solution

Migrated topic.

amor_fati

Rising Star
OG Pioneer
I've just suggested to Traveler that an extension be amended to the wiki to put a separate forum directly within the wiki. I've mentioned these ideas in prior threads, as well:

amor_fati said:
Traveller, is there any way to embed wiki pages or allow for wiki transclusion within forum posts (both ways preferably)? It would be a good way to merge wiki content with the forums and also showcase work on the wiki in a more open and candid fashion than simple linking. My thoughts on the advantages of this are that, for example, someone could author a slick looking tek on the wiki, embed it in an OP and the subsequent discussion would be directly regarding that article and could possibly be set up to allow block quotes from the content of the wiki article. It would also beautify the forums a bit more and allow for centralized editing and updating of teks contained in the OP.

This could be done in scroll-boxes or something so as to not crowd the thread (maybe the size of the scroll-box could be automatically determined by the largest size of box or picture in the article?).

The prior was a rather fanciful idea at the time with no known solutions, but then I made a discovery:

amor_fati said:
drotherside said:
Haha. I'm in the same boat as you. I think we need a specific forum for this kind of discussion. It would keep things much more organized.

Possible solution: MediaWiki Extension:AWC's Forum

The reasoning for this is best explained on the wiki community portal:

Wiki/Forum Integration -> this could best be accomplished by a separate forum to be contained in the wiki via an extension.
* This will facilitate more structured and involved discussion regarding all aspects of the wiki or projects closely tied to the wiki.
* This will make embedding of wiki articles in forum discussion possible.

Anyway, this is my broad-sweeping ideal solution to the difficulties of the wiki in general and chaos of discussion regarding the activist project. This separate forum would essentially be the more technical side of the nexus forums. Anyway, thought I'd let everyone in on the idea to get some input.

I'm not so sure if adding another forum to the DMT-Nexus is a good idea.

I understand the need to have a better integration between the two but I got a bad feeling about having two separate fora for technically the same thing.

I see a few possbile solutions:
* Create an extra subforum entry for the Wiki
* Create an extra BBCode tag to include Wiki tekst in a forum post ([ WIKI][/ WIKI])

The latter is the best I think and shouldn't be too much work for me.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

The Traveler said:
I understand the need to have a better integration between the two but I got a bad feeling about having two separate fora for technically the same thing.

What I'm proposing is a wiki forum limited to the topic matter of technical support and work-threads specifically for the wiki. And to use it as a subforum set specifically for the activist efforts. Mostly very technical work, but also for when discussion is meant to lead to conclusions. Besides the ease of embedding wiki articles out of the box, perhaps it's possible to transclude work-threads (for the wiki in general or the activist group) into the discussion pages on their particular articles to make the discussion pages a bit more user-friendly.

I wouldn't want two subforas for the same purpose, but to give the wiki forum exclusive purpose in pertaining to the wiki itself as well as activist efforts.

* Create an extra subforum entry for the Wiki

Well, we tried this before, but little came of it. It turned out more of a chore to go between the forum and the wiki with them so far removed from one-another.

* Create an extra BBCode tag to include Wiki tekst in a forum post ([ WIKI][/ WIKI])

I do like this idea, regardless. What you have there looks good, but I wonder if the whole side and bottom bars could be removed? The width of the wiki pages being shortened can interfere with the appearance of the markup Also perhaps less height on the box?

I think the activist group and wiki in general do need a forum structure more akin to work-threads, so that the threads can have clear and specific outcomes that are more integrated with the discussion. Basically none of what would be contained on the wiki forum of either focus would be wholly new material, but would exist to collect and connect material from this forum in way that can manifest in a more organized, comprehensive, and permanent manner.

amor_fati i understand EXACTLY what you're saying.

We are rapidly approaching the limitations of current forum technology. This makes sense because it's rather obvious The Nexus is on the literal cutting edge of the exploration of Human reality and technology...

For the past 4 YEARS I've been working on a conceptual web design that would allow us to do EXACTLY what you desire. But I'm no computer programmer, so the project is only a highly developed plan.... I WAS IN FACT ABOUT TO INTRODUCE THE PROJECT HERE ON THE NEXUS IN EARLY MARCH but the Elves pre-empted me with a BBB raid, and here we are working on this most excellent project instead!:d

Keep track of all your frustrations with this project and make an honest list. Once this organization settles, we can start a new digital collaboration revolution THAT WILL REALLY TAKE OFF.

....For now we are limited by the technology we have and Traver's spare time. :?

HOWEVER, let's Keep Thinking what other technologies are already out in the commercial and open source market which we might use to better organize our efforts in the meantime!
8)

Let the searching begin. I'll post some finds here too.

a

I would also think that a small forum with only very specific topic matter would be fairly easy to moderate, as well. I would personally volunteer to moderate that forum as well as the rest of the wiki, if need be.

The wiki forum has the capability to use what they call "forum tags" to include forum content within wiki pages. I can't find if it capable of carrying an entire thread into a wiki article (specifically, the discussion portion of the article is my main concern), but their instructional pages say that they haven't yet elaborated on all of its capabilities. It can carry over topic listings with any amount of info specified, as well as display the most recent posts, and this would be perfect for setting up a more functional community portal on the wiki. If we can get the forum tag to carry over only specific topic subfora listings, topic listings, and threads, this would be ideal for the activist effort and the wiki in general. I may have to communicate with the developers on seeing whether this is or can be included, and my guess is yes.

Acolyte said:
Once this organization settles, we can start a new digital collaboration revolution THAT WILL REALLY TAKE OFF.

This is our single best advantage, and the only way we'll be able to adequately overcome geographic separation.

Back
Top Bottom