• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

10 year old spore prints?

Migrated topic.
dreamer042 said:
Thanks for doing the experiment. :thumb_up:

Glad to hear the new batch is going well. 8)

Thanks dreamer042!! I may steal a little mycelium from the fully colonized jars and put them in the uncolonized ones and see what happens. I'll post here when I do.

Cheers,

JBArk

Did you go straight from syringe to jar ? If so I wonder if liquid culture would have been different. Ever since seeing the difference it can make, even with fresh spores, I never looked back. I've never had a print that old though. Glad you're shrooming anyway!

Orion said:
Did you go straight from syringe to jar ? If so I wonder if liquid culture would have been different. Ever since seeing the difference it can make, even with fresh spores, I never looked back. I've never had a print that old though. Glad you're shrooming anyway!

Yeah: print > syringe > brf/verm mason jar.

New batch: ‘lab resaerch’ syringe > brf/verm mason jar

I’d love to try liquid culture. And also agar, eventually. Pftek (improved) is just so easy and reliable, and if I were to get huge yields from another method it would just mean a lot more time between growing. And I kinda like growing the damn things, so small yields are just fine.

In fact, I was consistently getting 60-80 dried grams from this method, if I remember, and even that, for personal use, lasts me a while.

JBArk

jbark said:
downwardsfromzero said:
Rehydration of the spores may become an issue once they get that old. Pressure - as in, an air pump - can be applied to expedite the process and this is said to improve the germination rate.

Cobbling something together with a pop bottle and a tyre valve should do the trick, to give a most basic outline.

It will be most interesting to see the outcome of your experiment.

Where did you hear about this (and why would it be necessary...?) Very curious, but the process doesn't jibe with what I know about spores and mushrooms (which, admittedly, is relatively little :) )

Cheers,

JBArk
A fairly expert grower and biochemist explained it to me as a way of 'waking up' seemingly inviable spores. Mind you, he was also pretty crazy, but there was ample reason to accept that he knew what he was doing...

downwardsfromzero said:
jbark said:
downwardsfromzero said:
Rehydration of the spores may become an issue once they get that old. Pressure - as in, an air pump - can be applied to expedite the process and this is said to improve the germination rate.

Cobbling something together with a pop bottle and a tyre valve should do the trick, to give a most basic outline.

It will be most interesting to see the outcome of your experiment.

Where did you hear about this (and why would it be necessary...?) Very curious, but the process doesn't jibe with what I know about spores and mushrooms (which, admittedly, is relatively little :) )

Cheers,

JBArk
A fairly expert grower and biochemist explained it to me as a way of 'waking up' seemingly inviable spores. Mind you, he was also pretty crazy, but there was ample reason to accept that he knew what he was doing...

I think it’s safe to say we are all a little crazy here!:twisted:

JBArk

A few pics of the grow (separate jars):

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg