• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

A quick question about drying DMT

Migrated topic.

nescobar

Rising Star
Hello everyone:)
I just made my first extraction and now im waiting for my dmt to dry.
I poured out the naptha from the jar through a coffee filter and left the jar with the crystals in to dry under a fan. Should i just wait for it to dry or should i scrape the crystals with a scalpell and put them in the coffee filter to dry there. Thankfull for answers.
Thanks in advance/ nescobar :thumb_up:

How quickly does your naphtha solvent evaporate? I'd be tempted just to leave it in a warmish (not hot) place to dry ... unless you're in a major hurry to smoalk it 😁

I leave it next to where I work all day and just get whiffs of the spice from time to time - very reassuring.

Don't leave it on the filter. As the crystals and the naphtha warm up, some of the dmt will redissolve in the remaining naphtha and this will flow into the filter paper.

Put the "wet" crystals on a dish or plate and leave it in a well ventilated place until the smell of naphtha is gone. If you try to speed up the process by heating the crystals, you risk melting the dmt into a goo.

well, i tried to scrape off the crystals so that i could put them on a plate but they just turned into yellow goo. I placed all the goo in the jar and put it back into th freezer.

no need to scrape them off. Just let them try in the dish.

No problem that you have already though. Just take them out of the freezer and let them dry. You can put a small low volume fan on them to increase airflow and help them dry quicker.

ehud said:
no need to scrape them off. Just let them try in the dish.

No problem that you have already though. Just take them out of the freezer and let them dry. You can put a small low volume fan on them to increase airflow and help them dry quicker.

is it okay if the dry in a jar?

nescobar said:

As long as your solvent's the evaporating kind then the crystals will dry in the jar :) Obviously an exposed flat area will make it go faster but keeping them in the jar will work fine so long as you're not in a hurry ... and you should never be in a hurry for spice. Savor the process :d

PS Some results are just gooey whatever but it's still spice. Look at some of the purifying techniques on here if you really want pure white crystals but that's more for perfectionism rather than anything too practical.

NotTwo said:
nescobar said:

As long as your solvent's the evaporating kind then the crystals will dry in the jar :) Obviously an exposed flat area will make it go faster but keeping them in the jar will work fine so long as you're not in a hurry ... and you should never be in a hurry for spice. Savor the process :d

PS Some results are just gooey whatever but it's still spice. Look at some of the purifying techniques on here if you really want pure white crystals but that's more for perfectionism rather than anything too practical.

Okay thanks alot for the answers. right now im just letting it dry under a fan.
It looks like the volume has decreased radically, but i´ll see when it´s done :)

So SWIM tried GordoTEK with 3 different pulls almost successfully, but almost zero success. SWIM did everything GORDO said exactly and when it's in the freezer SWIM getS a large amount of gorgeous white crystals piled up on one side in a big giant heap that gets him really excited. SWIM turn the pie plate 180 degrees, drained the Bestine solvent, and then still left it tilted to drain anymore away from the dmt for another 2 days. When SWIM takes out this 1-2 grams of dmt and put it under his oven vent, SWIM watches as some solvent starts to come out of the larger clumps and just dissolve and/or evaporate every drop of dmt until SWIM has a clean pie plate and maybe like 20 mg of dmt. SWIM just wants to curl in the fetal position and cry.
How come everyone else is taking theirs out to dry and coming out with a bunch of dmt, but his solvent stays in there and then gets rid of all his dmt?
What is SWIM missing or not doing to stop this?
Gordo replied to his email back when SWIM purchased something from him on ebay, but it's been a week since SWIMS first pull and GORDO hasn't replied back to his email for SWIM to get this figured out. If there was a way SWIM could get all the solvent out of the dmt while it's still in the freezer so it won't dissolve the dmt when he takes it out of the freezer, that would be awesome. But he's no chemist so I can't imagine how he'd do that or what else SWIM could do to fix this. Someone please help him! Thank you all for your time and consideration.

It might be solvent coming out or it could be natural oils. A couple of suggestions:

Once you've tipped off all solvent and let it drip for a couple of minutes, put it in the fridge with a mini fan on it. You can buy battery powered hand held ones for a few dollars. After an hour, take out a small sample amount and see if it starts to dissolve itself.

If it's plant oils that are causing the problem, secondary purification of your crystals will solve that. Add minimal solvent and warm slightly until all crystals dissolve. You'll see there is a layer of greasy stuff left on the bottom of the container. Tip of the solvent+dmt into a new disk and freeze again. (There are more refined techniques that you can find elsewhere on this site if you want to get a higher degree of purification.)

Good luck 😁

Back
Top Bottom