• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Any Animal Rights Activists Here?

Migrated topic.
Yeah, kind of. I'm involved with trying to source vegan lab equipment. If you work in a biology lab, a huge amount of stuff is sourced from animals (fetal bovine serum, antibodies, etc), and there's a movement trying to develop ways to get that stuff from bacteria, yeasts, and other organisms.

It's good stuff.

Blessings
~ND

I was wanting a second opinion on:? this birds condition.

Is the fading in colour due to a light deficiency? The bird is a sulphur-crested cockatoo btw.

Attachments

• tmp_9461-2016-02-29+225318641708837.png
    tmp_9461-2016-02-29+225318641708837.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 0
JDSalinger said:
I was wanting a second opinion on:? this birds condition.

Is the fading in colour due to a light deficiency? The bird is a sulphur-crested cockatoo btw.

i dont know about birds ... maybe get some color in the cage some brown with greens

might help the bird if u think theres a condition .. could be .. ive seen some tear their hairs off in cages

You want a vet, not an animal rights activist my friend.

I can't tell from the photo: does it have all it's feathers, or have they fallen off? Feather plucking is a signs of boredom and distress. Make sure the bird has lots of novel stimuli pretty much all the time, or at the least, interacts with other people/birds very frequently.

If you're bird is plucking it's feathers out, you're doing the equivalent of putting it into solitary confinement.

Blessings
~ND

It has all of its feathers that I can see, when I spent time near it, it started to bash itself quite violently against the cage.

Here is the problem, it pulls at me every time I see the bird. It is not mine but it gets no sunlight, I know that, is kept away from the house, I have never seen anybody interact with it, I have known this bird in passing for 14 years. It has only recently dawned on me how unintentionally cruel this is.

you're doing the equivalent of putting it into solitary confinement.
Exactly my thoughts. I can free the bird, but am wondering if it will survive in the wild. Otherwise I have a cage which is much bigger. The poor soul can't even flly :(

What is the morally right thing to do, not the legal?

I can not tell you how many times people with good hearts have done the worst things by trying to help an animal.... You do not know about bird care yet you think this one is suffering because it calls to you? Please think about this...do you worry about kids that you have seen crying or those that you think may have a vitamin deficiency? I would guess no...so why do this with someones pet?

In my own back yard people have thrown 5lbs bags of apples and carrots into the pasture with my horses because they looked hungry. :shock: The plastic bags and sugar over load could have killed one of the horses.... This nice person failed to see the 1000lbs of hay in the feeder, the 20 acres of grass, tonz of grain I have in the barn and daily care they receive. All because of a look this lady thought my horses were giving them?! This turned into many visits by the spca-wasted time/ money on my part plus the stress, heart ache and constant worry about this person coming onto my property feeding my horses things I do not want them to have. Three years of this stress and visits over one person that thought they were helping! The spca here will visit a place for five years from one call to make sure there is no abuse-this is a five hour ordeal for me each time.

My neighbor has the same issue with this person calling about their dogs, barn cats and anything they can see from the road. I can not stress enough how stressful this is for those who truly care about their animals... all over one lady who has no clue but wants to help animals.

My advise is mind your own business. They have cared for this bird for 14 years so I would assume they know more about its care than someone who walks by.

Pharmer, I grew up around animals and live in a relatively rural area. I understand what you are saying about good intentions, that is why I haven't done anything dumb, I do not know about birds, thus my question..

This bird has a lifespan of 80 years and can fly, I can't fly and would hate to be confined to my home for the rest of my life, yet somebody has put this thing in a 2-3m cage with no company for life, and that is not cruel??

TBH if it was me I would prefer death, at least then I'd be free again...

Edit the bird is a galah, :oops: was talking about cockatoos while writing op, sorry.

If you release the bird, it will almost surely die. Animals born and raised in captivity rarely make it in the wild.

Have you approached the owner and voiced your concerns, or at least talked to them a bit to better understand how they have gone about caring for the bird for all these years?

If you truly want to give the bird a better lot, would you be willing to go visit the bird and provide it with companionship on the daily yourself? Are you willing to buy it a bigger/better cage? Pick up another bird for it to spend it's time with? I'd suggest working with the owner on this would be a much wiser choice than doing something rash and possibly causing harm to the bird, your neighbor, and/or yourself.

dreamer042 said:
Have you approached the owner and voiced your concerns, or at least talked to them a bit to better understand how they have gone about caring for the bird for all these years?

Yes, it seems like this is the best option. Through inaction there is harm and freeing the bird there is also harm. This sounds like a very sensible middle ground :)

Back
Top Bottom