• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Attempting a Soxhlet Soon! Should I trust IPA?

Migrated topic.

StealthyBong

Rising Star
I find that looking through the forum theres almost a half and half of people saying IPA would be suitable but not as good as ethenol; and that it probably just wont work. That being said the main "tek" for soxhlets call for its use as a solvent; and most posts I was reading were from 10 years ago. If I tried pulling 50gs of mimosa with around 250ml 91% IPA for about 12 hours, would it be reasonable to assume a decent yield?

StealthyBong said:
I find that looking through the forum theres almost a half and half of people saying IPA would be suitable but not as good as ethenol;
I wouldn't use ethenol, it tautomerizes to acetaldehyde, which boils at room temperature. You'd need serious cooling. It's also quite toxic. Not the stuff you would want to reflux in a soxhlet.

Perhaps you meant ethanol instead? Better be careful, in chemistry letters can sometimes make a huge difference.

pitubo said:
StealthyBong said:
I find that looking through the forum theres almost a half and half of people saying IPA would be suitable but not as good as ethenol;
I wouldn't use ethenol, it tautomerizes to acetaldehyde, which boils at room temperature. You'd need serious cooling. It's also quite toxic. Not the stuff you would want to reflux in a soxhlet.

Perhaps you meant ethanol instead? Better be careful, in chemistry letters can sometimes make a huge difference.
:d

pitubo said:
StealthyBong said:

That is exactly the thought I had :lol:

Repeat after me: Pictet-Spengler condensation 😁

Alrighty,haha I should be getting all my glass in a few weeks. Gotta friend throwing me a big bag of mint he grew for me to extract from as well as an ounce of rue sitting around, so im gonna be able to have plenty of fun with it by the time I get to another mimosa. (By the way, have you guys seen pictures menthol crystals, they're huge!)
But yeah starting my first semester in the spring, probably should start easing my auto correct's load..

StealthyBong said:
(By the way, have you guys seen pictures menthol crystals, they're huge!)
Have you ever seen rochelle salt crystals. Huge is an understatement of the size you can grow these.

Ulim said:
StealthyBong said:
(By the way, have you guys seen pictures menthol crystals, they're huge!)
Have you ever seen rochelle salt crystals. Huge is an understatement of the size you can grow these.

Looks easy and fun, the wiki recommends using activated charcoal. Could be a good excuse to pick some up!

Back
Top Bottom