• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Calming/ sleep tea blend

_Trip_

Established member
I thought i would share one of my favourite blends for sleep or relaxation and why I think they're great ingredients.

Equal mix of:
Lemon balm
Skullcap
Valerian root (I add this in if it's night time)

I let the tea soak for a minimum 10 minutes in boiling water to get all the goodies out of the herbs.

I find this blend quite relaxing similar to a benzo but more lucid. I find it's very mildly pyschoactive if taken in high enough amounts.

The skullcap and valerian root have active ingredients that act on GABA receptors and the lemon balm inhibits an enzyme that breaks down GABA. So you end up with quite a potent and calming tea.

The taste is quite mild and nice and the lemon balm gives a lemon flavour, quite palatable.

Look into hops as well. I've just posted an article on it here.

Also it's possible to get many different strains of hops with various different aroma/flavor profile. If you like citrusy ones I would recommend the 'cascade' variety.

Californian poppy, Eschscholzia californica, is another effective anxiolytic sedative for the herbal pharmacopoeia. I actually find skullcap to effective and it leaves me feeling drowsy in the morning. If any of you experience something similar it may be worth trying Cali. poppy as an alternative - and no, it is not an opiate!

For any oneironauts out there, the combination of eschscholzia and valerian might be worth a try once in a blue moon. Beware of the habit-forming potential of valerian, and also that about 10% react to it as though it were a stimulant.

While we're on the topic, I might as well go through a couple or so more plants on my list.

Chamomile is pretty well known for being calming, as well as anti-inflammatory - and maybe some of you here also know how it becomes stimulant when taken in a larger quantity.

Green oat calms and balances the nerves. It is also good for skin conditions (and these two things are not wholly unrelated).

Finally for now, limeflower (linden) is also pleasantly calming - but beware of old material which has turned pink: this is said to be intoxicating in a non-beneficial way.

Passionflower would be the sedative herb that completes this list, although I hardly ever use it myself since the other herbs taste better.

Loving this thread since I haven't been sleeping well for months and I have many of these herbs.

I'm trying to take it easy with valerian because I developed a habit and while the use is rare I think it may have an effect on my poor sleep now.

If I may add one, I've been adding about 1g of blue lotus extract to my nightly tea that includes chamomile ( Sleeptime from Celestial Seasonings). I find anything higher than that leaves me too drowsy in the morning.

One love

I'll add two interesting details from the article on hops.

--> On Melatonin :
"Recent in vitro experiments on sedative activity indicated activity on the melatonin receptor. Melatonin, a hormone secreted by the pineal gland in humans, through binding to its receptor, is responsible for maintaining the diurnal circadian rhythm in vertebrates. Hops extracts had significant hypothermic effects in vivo in male mice analog melatonin. This effect was antagonized with the competitive melatonin receptor antagonist luzindole. The data suggest that potential sleep-inducing effects of hops extract are possibly centrally mediated through activation of melatonin receptors."

--> On GABA :
"Other in vitro and in vivo research points towards involvement of the GABAA receptor. The fraction containing beta-acids of a lipophilic CO2 hops extract was investigated in a benzodiazepine receptor-binding assay. Hops beta-acids affected the plateau of the GABA currents dose dependently without mediating this effect via the benzodiazepine receptor. Another study examined the effects of beer, hop oils, and fragrance components on the GABA-A response using the Xenopus oocyte expression system and an electrophysiological method. The 2 hops oils alpha-humulene and mycrene caused only a small potentiation of the GABA-A receptor response. However, these compounds did not work as agonists. More pronounced were the effects of fragrances, which caused a potentiation of the GABA-A receptor response."

Loving this thread since I haven't been sleeping well for months and I have many of these herbs.

I'm trying to take it easy with valerian because I developed a habit and while the use is rare I think it may have an effect on my poor sleep now.

If I may add one, I've been adding about 1g of blue lotus extract to my nightly tea that includes chamomile ( Sleeptime from Celestial Seasonings). I find anything higher than that leaves me too drowsy in the morning.

One love
I used to take valerian every night for months for sleep but after a while it did not work as well as i wanted..unless i upped the dosage more...

Ive discovered that making a strong tea from ...Lemon grass ...works great for me..... the tea at bedtime allows me to relax and shut off my conscious thinking... so i can get to sleep faster...instead of taking 3 or 4 hours to fall asleep...

What im using now to sleep is ....Celestrial Seasonings....[sleepy time honey tea]........[it has] .... lemongrass .... chamomile...spearmint...hawthorn.....blackberry leaves...
tila flowers... molasses and honey flavor...i think the... lemongrass ....is the key ingrediant to improve sleep...in my opinion..

i actually had a.... lucid dream late this morning after taking the tea 5 nights every night for sleep...

give this a try it might help...

Thank you for sharing.

I need to get some more blue lotus and I think I'll get some African Dream Herb also.

Least night I took a supplement from the Gorilla Mind brand for sleep. I still didn't sleep as well as I'd like, but I felt more rested than usual. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

One love

Thank you for sharing.

I need to get some more blue lotus and I think I'll get some African Dream Herb also.

Least night I took a supplement from the Gorilla Mind brand for sleep. I still didn't sleep as well as I'd like, but I felt more rested than usual. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

One love
a lot of the herbs we make tea out of ... can also be taken oraly in capsul form ...or even made into a stronger extract and put in capsols..
this is just an idea i had when taking a herb in tea form for long time ..it sometimes becomes less effective over long period of time .
Oh..and another herb that will enhanse sleep is ....PAsion flower ...this is a serious sleep enhanser....

Passionflower Information | Mount Sinai - New York

1709992074006.png
Mount Sinai
https://www.mountsinai.org › health-library › herb › pa...

It is still used today to treat anxiety and insomnia. Scientists believe passionflower works by increasing levels of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid ( ...

Plant Description · ‎How To Take It · ‎Precautions

Dosage: Drink one cup of tea made with 1 tablespoon of dried passionflower per night for at least seven days to feel the effects. Possible side effects of passionflower Passionflower has very few side effects, but it can cause sleepiness or dizziness which may affect functioning.May 31, 2019

Last edited:
a lot of the herbs we make tea out of ... can also be taken oraly in capsul form ...or even made into a stronger extract and put in capsols..
this is just an idea i had when taking a herb in tea form for long time ..it sometimes becomes less effective over long period of time .
Oh..and another herb that will enhanse sleep is ....PAsion flower ...this is a serious sleep enhanser....

Passionflower Information | Mount Sinai - New York

View attachment 97247
Mount Sinai
https://www.mountsinai.org › health-library › herb › pa...

It is still used today to treat anxiety and insomnia. Scientists believe passionflower works by increasing levels of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid ( ...

Plant Description · ‎How To Take It · ‎Precautions

Dosage: Drink one cup of tea made with 1 tablespoon of dried passionflower per night for at least seven days to feel the effects. Possible side effects of passionflower Passionflower has very few side effects, but it can cause sleepiness or dizziness which may affect functioning.May 31, 2019
Hey Voidmatrix..I want to add something ive learned about taking Valarian root for sleep...VALERIAN IS GOOD MEDICINE!!!

Ive found..... that quality valarian improves sleep quality by putting you into a deeper state of sleep in your first 3 or 4 hours and that allows your body to repair and rejuvinate itself ...And the remaining 4 or more hours it boosts REM sleep...the time when you dream a lot..

Ive been taking valarian extract tablets for months with great success.. ...but the valerian i take is so pure and potent..... ive only been taking 1/4 of a tablet at a time.....and it helps me get the deeper sleep i need on first half of the morning.../then on the second REM sleep half of the night ..i get DREAMS ..DREAMS...DREAMS! some can turn lucid!

I dont know what kind of valerian you take now .....but always look for valerian that says ...[standardized]! ... the cheaper stuff is too weak...

The valerian i take is called...... [NaturesPlus...Herbal Actives] .... Extended release]...standardized Botanical Supliment ...gluten free...600mgs 6 percent valerenic acid ..

I took one whole tablet only once... ... it knocked me cold...and that night i had an out of body experiance where i levetated out of my body at 3am floated through the roof... and went high into the sky ..and got cought in a wind current ...and flew with the wind around the world!

The recall of that experiance was extreemly vivid ..i still remember it like it happened an hour ago!

Now taking only 1/4 of the tablet it gives me healthy sleep..[and decent dreams]....but if taken long enough..the effects weaken after several weeks of taking it every night..

Then all you do is either [take a higher dose]...[or stop taking it for a week or so then start up again and works well ..

Ive found that valerian in the right purity..does more than just make you sleep better/ ... it also works like a medicine and makes you feel better in the morning... the deeper sleep allows you body to repair itself...

Ill try to get a picture of the bottle and post it below...If you can stay with valerian ...but get the best valerian you can get!

I f you try 1 whole tablet of this valerian... pictured below.. I almost guarente you will sleep 8 or 10 hours! Id be very suprised if it didnt work for you !

Probibly 1/2 tablet should work..

This valerian below is made to lab quality purity...And has the highest amount of..... valerenic acid ..... you can get per tablet!

like i said .....only one time.... did i take a whole tablet of this valerian...and that night experianced an out of body...or wake induced lucid dream..
It was quite an experiance!...Also this valerian has a bit of seditive qualitys that will keep you relaxed and calm even if you experiance a nightmare at 3am!
I ve been taking thisvalerian 1/4 tablet for months...and never felt fuzzy headed in morning always rested clear headed and awake!\

Like i said before..This is NOT normal valerian!...Trying valerian is not like trying .THIS VALARIAN!!....... its lab quality and very pure!!

more on ancient valarian...

Valerian root is an ancient sedative and anxiety-reducing herb that is proven to improve dream recall and enhance dream content. Used by every culture from the Saxons to the Greeks, its widespread use persists today
Valerian is first mentioned by Hippocrates himself around 400 BC. You can check out his wisdom on the matter (if you have such an inclination) in the Hippocratic Corpus.
As you will see, valerian root has spread throughout the world and there is evidence of its use across many varied cultures and locations.
Here is a random list of interesting historical facts about valerian – of which there are many:
  • Valerian was commonly used by the ancient Greeks for several ailments. Dioscorides, the Greek physician, used it for maladies of the liver, urinary tract, and digestive tract.
  • Mentioned in 924 AD by Isaac Judaeus in his famous work The Book of Fevers.
  • During the 1800s valerian was widely used in both America and Europe for treating "hysteria" in women. Of all the natural remedies for anxiety in use at the time, it was in fact so widely prescribed that it would be accurate to call valerian root the "Valium of the 19th Century”.
  • Used also in Eastern countries as a scent for bath water and as a perfume! Some people even used the root to give scent to their clothing. Note that there were (and still are) several species of Valerian whose roots smell more appealing than the kind you may be used to. Even today, types of valerian extract are used to underpin musky notes in commercial perfumes!
  • Throughout history, Valerian was used as a spice. Anglo Saxton recipes containing Valerian have been tracked down. See Bald’s Leechbook, a famous 10th-century manuscript (leech was the Old English name for the doctor – since that was mostly what they used to cure you, via blood letting!)
  • Cats adore valerian! It is not unusual to see a feline instantly attracted to any Valerian plant with bruised leaves or stems. Their reaction is similar to the way they act when they encounter catnip. It is known that many of the historic apothecaries judged the quality of the Valerian they used by the way a cat reacted to it.
  • Many have experienced success in catching rats with a Valerian laced trap. It has even been suggested that the infamous rat charmer, the Pied Piper of Hamlin actually used valerian to lure his horde of vermin into the river – his pipe being just an elaborate ruse!
  • Native Americans were known to use chewed Valerian in their ears to provide relief from earaches. The Blackfoot tribe, in particular, used it to treat stomach problems - whilst several tribes (including the Thompsons of British Columbia and the Menominee) have used valerian root topically to treat cuts and wounds.
  • The root used was prescribed during the Second World War to those suffering overwrought nerves caused by the regular air raids that the population of England had to endure.
Valerian root is a bona fide dream herb.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that valerian influences my dreams. I know this not only from my own experiences with the herb but from this study.
When investigating the effects of the extract on stress-induced insomnia, 16% of patients formally reported vivid dreams as a side effect of the valerian mixture.
To be honest, I’m surprised the figure is so low. My suspicion is that if a proper trial were re-conducted with a larger sample size - and an emphasis on this measure - the figure would be much greater.
When I take valerian, the most pronounced effect I notice is an improvement in dream recall. It would be rare for me to take valerian and not remember my dreams the next day. But then I only take the supplement periodically for dream enhancement purposes – and not every night.
The second effect I notice is a marked influence on dream content – the dreams I have on valerian always seem more bizarre and sometimes more vivid.
So can you use valerian for lucid dreaming, you ask?
Whilst it doesn’t have the sheer lucidity-inducing power of a strong AChE Inhibitor, ultimately any dream herb can be used in conjunction with lucid dreaming techniques to ease your way into the dream world.
When you have bizarre dreams like this, you may be more likely to realize you are dreaming and become lucid.
Your mileage may vary.
Valerian is definitely not the best choice for inducing lucid dreams - when taken alone.
It is best used as a peripheral ingredient in combination with other stronger dream herbs. In this way, it promotes greater dream recall and bizarreness of content – in conjunction with the lucidity-promoting effects of other estrogens.
Lucid Dreaming - The Path of Non-Dual Dream Yoga: Realizing Enlightenment through Lucid Dreaming: 3 (Serenade of Bliss)

211 viewsAnswer requested by
David Power

Attachments

• DSC00507.JPG
    DSC00507.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC00506.JPG
    DSC00506.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thank you @1Starway7 for sharing your experience.

I have tried valerian... I tried it so much that I developed a habit and had to stop taking it regularly which may have negatively impacted my sleep overall.

I take it more intermittently now. I have an alcohol tincture that works really well and on occassion will drink a bit of Sleepytime Extra.

At my worst with valerian I was drinking two bags of Sleepytime extra every night with diphenhydramine, cbd, cbn, and cannabis. I'm trying to work on this still. I don't take diphenhydramine at all anymore as I feel it may have damaged my brain. It's been shown to do reduce brain function and can lead to early dementia.

One love

Valerian ticture or capsules of standard extract is a really nice occasional adjunct to sleeping. As I've mentioned before, it worked well for me in combination with Californian poppy (Eschscholzia) not only in the sense that I really enjoy vivid dreams, but also that I felt reasonably refreshed in the morning.

To that end, I would definitely recommend looking into the properties and action of eschscholzia as a medicinal herb. IMO it offers an advantage over valerian in that it is not (apparently) physically habit-forming and - for me - psychologically it always came with a built in cut-off point, where I knew that it had done its job and I could happily put it away, back in the cupboard for the subsequent duration. Ymmv, ofc.

I'm currently trying Ashwagandha, it really helps me with me sleep, and i can feel the calming effects in my body (not in a placebo way as i defenitly feel a small buzz)

Back
Top Bottom