• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Changa, changa, my first changa. Advices much appreciated.

Yes. I was trying to heat EA in a same heating device where at some point it started to boil for a sec. From my first observation it sucks as solvent for freebase harmalas. at leas compared to the ethanol.
I have to admit, this is the conclusion that @_Trip_ came to after some experiments with EA as a primary extraction solvent for rue/harmalas. Not sure if it went on the record here, but we discussed it a bit somewhere once or twice.
I placed it outside in a sunny spot. 60ml evaporated in around 10h.
OK - but beware - sunlight can lead to degradation of alkaloids, particularly DMT, as well as other desirable components of your changa herb blend.
I think that some reliable source on solubility of harmalas would be nice to have around.
That's a very good point, and something that a bit of dedicated teamwork can go towards solving (not to mention, myself pulling my finger out on the experimental front - another self-reminder: 1-methoxy -2-propyl acetate - get on with it you buffoon!)

So let's repeat it here once more: EA (ethyl acetate) does not dissolve harmalas well at all. Might still be good for re-x because of that though.

OK - but beware - sunlight can lead to degradation of alkaloids, particularly DMT, as well as other desirable components of your changa herb blend.
thats a very valuable information. So i should never ever again expose my solutions with dmt on the sun? a warm bath, coffe warm pad, etc with a fan are the ways to go?

thats a very valuable information. So i should never ever again expose my solutions with dmt on the sun? a warm bath, coffe warm pad, etc with a fan are the ways to go?
@Brennendes Wasser did some experiments on photodegradation of DMT crystals. It's not like you need to use a darkroom or anything, but outdoors on a sunny summer's day strikes me as being inadvisable based on my own observations of various herbaceous materials left exposed to even moderate amounts of indirect sunlight. You can use solar heat by all means, but make sure your materials are screened from the light while retaining adequate ventilation. A solar evaporator design now springs to mind :)

I have to admit, this is the conclusion that @_Trip_ came to after some experiments with EA as a primary extraction solvent for rue/harmalas. Not sure if it went on the record here, but we discussed it a bit somewhere once or twice.

So let's repeat it here once more: EA (ethyl acetate) does not dissolve harmalas well at all. Might still be good for re-x because of that though.

I would say it works well especially when hot but what is strange is that already extracted harmala takes convincing to dissolve (Infact it's the identical issue in regards to the undissolvable harmala BW analysed). Where as extracting from seeds can work well although can be sometimes inconsistent.After trying BWs no filter tek (unnecessary steps thread) I find the EA approach to harmala still the quickest and easiest tek IMO. Filtering is so much easier. And I'm now switching back to this tek.

According to literature, DCM would work best for harmala however it is very toxic to work with and the likely most accessible salt that would form in DCM, (and hopefully crash out) would be HCL by bubbling the gas through the dcm. This would be a bit more of an advanced method. Shame harmala benzoate doesn't form. Iirc other solvents EA, ethanol. Acetone are much of a muchness, however the EA tek could easily have another solvent replaced and crashable salt used if consistent and high yielding.

If anyone has dcm and harmala hcl lying around and can tell me if it's soluble that would be awesome.

Last edited:
I would say it works well especially when hot but what is strange is that already extracted harmala takes convincing to dissolve (Infact it's the identical issue in regards to the undissolvable harmala BW analysed). Where as extracting from seeds can work well although can be sometimes inconsistent.After trying BWs no filter tek (unnecessary steps thread) I find the EA approach to harmala still the quickest and easiest tek IMO. Filtering is so much easier. And I'm now switching back to this tek.

According to literature, DCM would work best for harmala however it is very toxic to work with and the likely most accessible salt that would form in DCM, (and hopefully crash out) would be HCL by bubbling the gas through the dcm. This would be a bit more of an advanced method. Shame harmala benzoate doesn't form. Iirc other solvents EA, ethanol. Acetone are much of a muchness, however the EA tek could easily have another solvent replaced and crashable salt used if consistent and high yielding.

If anyone has dcm and harmala hcl lying around and can tell me if it's soluble that would be awesome.
Thanks for the clarification, apologies for misremembering the conversation!

I would say it works well especially when hot but what is strange is that already extracted harmala takes convincing to dissolve (Infact it's the identical issue in regards to the undissolvable harmala BW analysed).
I tried to dissolve harmals in quite hot (50-60) EA with no succes, wheter the ethanol worked good. Was the temperaturue still to low? You confirm that it can dissolve harmalas? At what temp? What concentration?

Where as extracting from seeds can work well although can be sometimes inconsistent.After trying BWs no filter tek (unnecessary steps thread) I find the EA approach to harmala still the quickest and easiest tek IMO. Filtering is so much easier. And I'm now switching back to this tek.

So what do you use the EA for in the extraction process? Can you please share? I also liked the BW aproach, but i have not seen how EA can be utilised in there.

When extracting it should roughly dissolve at room temp at at least 1-2mg per ml and up to 4+mg hot. But again you can get that issue of struggling to dissolve with EA in already extracted harmala for some reason, same as with BWs results in undissolved harmala, post first run when extracting using traditional methods.

The Tek can work very well but a few things were never dialed in 100%.

So finally i tested my changa, and i have to say that i am starting to love it. Its so easy to use, just a little pipe, and its kinda mellow come up, and possibility to be also quite punchy if smoked a bit more, oh and the maoi making the experience longer, and longer, and then nicely slowly coming down.

Praise to the changa i must say.

Excellent, I use Gin, it gives it a great flavor.

Is gin strong enough as an ethanol substitute to dissolve both DMT and harmalas or do you need to spike it with a more potent ethanol for it to work?

I think rum makes for a pleasant taste in most things. Maybe changa too...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom