• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

criticism of Grof

Migrated topic.

After reading this article I want to launch a formal criticism of Stanislav Grof, M.D. I've seen him in person and all be rambled on about was prenatal memories and holotropic breath work.

I find so called scholars like Grof a danger to the ability of scientists to shift the publics awareness of psychedelic drugs for use in mainstream psychiatry or something similar because of his unfounded absurd claims and beliefs.

I hope by the end of reading this at least someone out there will recognize what a fraud this guy is and what a problem people like him create in getting the public perception to change.

It is also obvious that an accomplished astrologer and
historian like Richard Tarnas would be able to make a vital
contribution to the main theme of the conference (Tarnas 2006).

He believes in astrology.

A powerful and specifically Mayan mind-altering technique
was massive bloodletting induced by using lancets made of stingray
spines, flint, or obsidian to wound the tongue, earlobes, and genitals
(Schele and Miller 1986, Grof 1994). Ritual bloodletting opened up an
experiential realm that was not ordinarily accessible before the time of
biological death.

He thinks blood letting is useful for accomplishing non ordinary states. While it probably works its a sick and morbid practice used by a culture well known for human sacrifice.

Many people seem to forget that the Mayans had a sick twisted religion that involved human sacrifice. Priests would wear the skin of the people they sacrificed and dance around with it.

In holotropic states of consciousness, it is possible to obtain
profound revelations concerning the master blueprint of the universe
designed by cosmic intelligence of such astonishing proportions that it
is far beyond the limits of our everyday imagination.

Oh yea name one?

More specifically, psychedelic pioneer
Terrence McKenna described in his preface to John Major Jenkins’
book “Maya Cosmogenesis 2012” that he received his insights
concerning 2012 in his mushroom sessions.

T McKenna also later admitted that he was making it up and his ideas were pure speculation. Grof and many other convienently ignore that.

They also saw that the dynamics of the archetypal world
is systematically correlated with the movements of the planets, their
angular relationships, and their relative positions to the fixed stars. This
led to a completely new understanding of astrology, its origins, and
paramount importance.

Again he admits his belief in the nonsense that is known as astrology. Astrology has been dis-proven so many times its not even funny.

The visions of ancient Mayan seers
could thus with the help of “technologies of the sacred” easily reach
many centuries into the future.

Hah. Ok so before this sentence he describes how you can have visions of the future and past when in altered states. He provides no evidence or even describes an experience where such knowledge was gained. Then he goes on to act like other ancient religions knew the universe was billions of years old. Ok fine but the only way humans beings really figured out the universe and our world is so old is through science. Not altered states of consciousness which don't tell us anything about star formation, black holes, nuclear chemistry all of which tell us real facts about the universe.

It was for them the birth
canal of the Cosmic Mother Creatrix, where the December solstice sun
gets reborn in 2012.

He is obsessed with images like this. He always rambles on about prenatal this prenatal that. Makes me wonder whats really on his mind...

These associations clearly were not products of everyday fantasy and
imagination of the Mayans projected on the night sky,
I would argue that they are products of fantasy and imagination of a violent warlike culture.

Myths
are commonly considered to be products of human fantasy and
imagination not unlike stories of modern fiction writers and
playwrights.

He tends to rewrite the definition of the word myth over and over again. As do others who like to change us into thinking these things are not myths but truths.

I hope that the above discussion adequately addressed the first
question that I asked earlier in my presentation: “How could ancient
Mayans two thousand years ago discover anything that would be
relevant for humanity in the twenty-first century?”

Actually the above discussion did not answer anything only make vague claims and speculate about ideas that have no basis in reality.

The perinatal region of the unconscious contains the
memories of what the fetus experienced in the consecutive stages of
the birth process, including all the emotions and physical sensations
involved.

How does he know what a fetus experiences emotionally? Again he has this obsession with the new word he made up perinatal. He is utterly obsessed by this concept. I think I can understand why I have had experiences of my birth or my emergence into consciousness induced by anesthetics. But that doesn't mean I can claim that I know what goes on in the mind of a fetus.

As I mentioned earlier, this matrix is related to the stage of
birth when the cervix is open and the fetus experiences the tedious
propulsion through the birth canal. This stage is associated with the
emergence of the shadow side of human personality – murderous
violence and excessive or deviant sexual drives, scatological
elements, and even satanic imagery. It is easy to see manifestations
of these aspects of the death rebirth process in today’s troubled
world.
We certainly see the enormous unleashing of the aggressive
impulse in the many wars and revolutionary upheavals in the world,
in the rising criminality, terrorism, and racial riots. Equally
dramatic and striking is the lifting of sexual repression and freeing
of the sexual impulse in both healthy and problematic ways. Sexual
experiences and behaviors are taking unprecedented forms, as
manifested in the sexual freedom of adolescents, premarital sex,
gay liberation, general promiscuity, common and open marriages,
high divorce rate, overtly sexual books, plays and movies,
sadomasochistic experimentation, and many others.

Yes so he seems to forget about the millions of children who are born of C sections. What are they all free of violent impulses? Where does he get the idea that the violence of childbirth is associated with repressed violent and sexual urges? Its so stupid. Maybe he should climb back into his mothers womb and shut up about it.

The demonic element is also becoming increasingly manifest
in the modern world. Renaissance of satanic cults and witchcraft,
popularity of books and horror movies with occult themes, and
crimes with satanic motivations attest to that fact.

He also seems to forget that the culture who is claiming is so wise and can see into the future had a horrific religion that practiced human sacrifice but at the same time he critisizes modern culture for making horror movies? Does anyone else see the sheer lack of consistency in the arguments that Grof makes?

Deep motivating forces underlying these dangerous traits of
human nature have their origin on the perinatal and transpersonal
levels of the psyche, domains that mainstream psychology does not
yet recognize (Grof 2000).

There is a reason its not recognized. First of all transpersonal experiences are not necessarily being interpreted correctly. Infact any modern neuroscience argument would make hash browns of his argument as there are many explanations for how a human can experience such a thing without having to rely on perinatal explanations of anything.

Again he seems to forget that millions of children are born by C section.

As the content of the perinatal level of the unconscious
emerges into consciousness and is integrated, the individuals
involved undergo radical personality changes. They experience
considerable decrease of aggression and become more peaceful,
comfortable with themselves, and tolerant of others.

He makes this claim without clinically significant data. Psychedelic and altered states have a role to play in psychological treatment. But Grof seems to think that the result is always the same while ignoring the thousands of people whose psyche was damaged by psychedelic experiences they couldn't handle.

It becomes obvious that our highest priorities as biological
creatures have to be clean air, water, and soil. No other concerns,
such as economic profit, military pursuits, scientific and
technological progress, or ideological and religious beliefs, should
be allowed to take priority over this vital imperative.

Again he reveals his ignorance and one sided view on reality. Scientific and technological progress are making it possible to have clean air water and soil. Lets take the major human waste product: sewage. Without the development of sewage treatment (a scientific advance) we would be living with extremely dirty and unsafe water systems. Without scientific progress we would still be doing slash and burn agriculture and experiencing wide spread famine every time the weather was unfavorable.

We begin
to understand that what we experience as material reality might be
what the Hindu teachings refer to as lila – divine play created by
cosmic consciousness.

I have a lot to say about the myth of cosmis consciousness but I have already discussed it extensively in other threads such as end of spiritualism thread.

The isolation and chemical identification of the active
principles of many psychedelic plants, development of new
synthetic psychedelic compounds, and increasing knowledge about
these substances have been instrumental in inner transformation of
many individuals who have used these powerful tools wisely and
responsibly.

Again a technological innovation which he seemed so distrustful of a few pages back.

The resulting emotional turmoil seems to engender
spontaneous psychospiritual crises (“spiritual emergencies”)(Grof
and Grof 1989, Grof and Grof 1990).

He cites himself twice in a row. This should show how psychology does not recognize spiritual emergencies as legit descriptions of psychological illness.

Once mainstream
psychiatrists recognize that these states have an extraordinary
healing and transformative potential - if they are properly
understood - and provide support and guidance for this process
rather than suppress it by tranquilizers, it could greatly contribute to
inner transformation of many people.

This draws on one of my central criticisms of Grof. He and others like him are part of the reason that mainstream psychology has a difficult time with changing its attitude towards psychedelic drugs. Any unbiased psychologist who goes to a conference and listens to someone like Grof talk about his version of how psychedelic drugs heal people (by making them reexperience and accept the violent trauma of birth and a bunch of other archetypical nonsense) they will be immediately turned off. They will clearly recognize the inconsistencies that I have pointed out in his reasoning. He also sounds a lot like Sigmund Freud except on acid instead of cocaine.

Psychedelic drugs have tremendous value but when they are described in a way and their value is described in a way that is only compatable with those who have spiritual beliefs that are similar to Grof's how can we expect mainstream science to change its attitude against them? Only when psychedelic experiences and their benefits are looked at objectively will the neccessary evidence be there to force the mainstream to change its mind. This is already happening with medical marijuana for example. Data being generated by real scientists is changing not only the publics mind but also the minds of the regulators and medical boards.

This is where I will end my criticism of Grof.

He thinks blood letting is useful for accomplishing non ordinary states. While it probably works its a sick and morbid practice used by a culture well known for human sacrifice.

Many people seem to forget that the Mayans had a sick twisted religion that involved human sacrifice. Priests would wear the skin of the people they sacrificed and dance around with it.

That's ethnocentristic. You can't judge a culture because it's practices seem strange to you. A reminder: Taking psychedelic practices is also considered to be "sick and twisted" by the majority of Europeans and USA citicens.

Oh yea name one?

Aren't there translingual revelations and workings you simply can't express? That's why he said, that it's beyond_ everyday imagination.

T McKenna also later admitted that he was making it up and his ideas were pure speculation. Grof and many other convienently ignore that.

Source please.

He always rambles on about prenatal this prenatal that. Makes me wonder whats really on his mind...

Stay classy :lol:

"Many people seem to forget that the Mayans had a sick twisted religion that involved human sacrifice. Priests would wear the skin of the people they sacrificed and dance around with it."

..uhh..is there even proof of this among the Maya? I know that there is among the Aztecs..but some people actually interprete the mayan drawing differently and think that most of it was all symbolic..shamanic death etc..

These same people think the Aztecs came later and misinterpreted all of it and they were the ones heavily involved in human sacrifice.

Not syaing it is that way but I have read that theory..does anyone know more about this?

I am sort of weary when I hear about these things being possibly so 2 sided..becasue of how the church likes to demonize everything and anything that doesnt go along with the church's regime..they destroyed alot of mayan stuff that would be a better link to what they were actually doing...

When people are taking lots of psychedelics like the Mayans were they tend to get into metaphorical things alot so it makes some sence that alot of that blood thirsty mayan scrifice type of imagry was psychedelic metaphore...maybe not though.

I also think people sacrificed themsleves back then..i cant remember where but I remeber a video where they were talking about how at certain celebrations people would eat lots of mushrooms and jump into some pit sacrificing themselves:?

I looked it up and apparently there is evindence of it through carbon dating..just wasnt as prominant as the inquisitors made it out to be.

Apparently most thought it was an honor to be sacrificed, and they were treated as gods before hand..some think it was population controll and some think that they thought the world would end if they did not sacrifice..glad I dont live back then.

That's ethnocentristic. You can't judge a culture because it's practices seem strange to you. A reminder: Taking psychedelic practices is also considered to be "sick and twisted" by the majority of Europeans and USA citicens.

I can most certainly judge a culture that kills people for a ritual that serves no real purpose the purpose is made up. Perhaps the only way I could cut them slack if that perhaps they thought it made a real difference in the functioning of the world that would happen through sacrifice. In that regard their ritual was based in ignorance. So it wasn't so much that they were evil but ignorant.

Source please.

John Horgan: Well you know, in the course of my life I've certainly seen evidence of that drive. I do worry that, I’ve really become immersed again in psychedelic culture as a result of doing this book, and there are terrible excesses. And I think there are some people who took Terence McKenna way too seriously.

I mean he had these prophecies about the world and being in the year 2012. He was really just kidding. I got him to admit that to me. Some people absolutely believed that and they've turned him into some kind of guru. These drugs can be enormously powerful in reminding us what a miracle existence is. But they can also lead us into all kinds of delusion.

I don't think dr Grof is taken very seriously anymore in the academic world.

I see these sort of things as a harmless sort of science-fiction stories. Just like we often have on this site, talking bout entities and such, when we all know it's probably just neural short circuitingstuff.

Except by french philosophers. If you ever come across a philosophic text and it's written by a frenchman i can spare you the reading. It's almost as solid as the law of gravity: a philosophic text written by a frenchmen is always bullshit.
France has a tradition of bullshit philosphy, you see.

Burnt said:
"Many people seem to forget that the Mayans had a sick twisted religion that involved human sacrifice. Priests would wear the skin of the people they sacrificed and dance around with it."
Did they do that? I thought that was the Aztecs. I know that the Maya sacrificed captured leaders. Europeans executed prisoners too (or 'just' disabled them, by cutting off their archery fingers, for example). From what I've heard, I've imagined the Mayans to have been a bit more civilised than Europeans were at the time.

Europeans publicly:
-burnt people at the stake in the name of god
-drowned them in the name of god
-had people hung, drawn and quartered (hung then cut down whle still alive, then their guts ripped out in front of their eyes, then cut up into four pieces)
-chopped off their heads, and stuck them on spikes over bridges and gateways
-flagellants self-harmed for their god (not so different from Mayan bloodletting rituals)
-and privately in dungeons, many hideous torture instruments were used

One major difference between the Mayans and the Europeans was their attitude to suicide. Suicide was a sin for Europeans, but the Mayans actually had a god of suicide. The story goes that King Pakal of Palenque committed ritual suicide, however knowing human nature I wouldn't be surprised if his son just murdered him to become king and called it suicide (pure conjecture). European royalty bumped off family members all the time.

Both MAYA and Azetc sacrificed humans (GREAT BOOK _The Lost History of Aztec and Maya. Phillips et al.). A common method of both cultures was to slice open the chest of live individual, and remove the dripping heart to offer to the gods. They believed it their religious duty to keep the earth fertile and many other reasons. Mayans also performed decapitation. Many of the mesoamerican cultures used sacrifice. As stated other cultures killed for ridiculous reasons (ROMANs). Some states even today do so (death penalty for drug distribution???). It is definitely unethical to kill people in the name of religion. It was out of ignorance. I agree it was a different time and place but it is also pretty messed up. I do not take this to mean however that their cultures or other beliefs are flawed. Both cultures are fascinating and had great accomplishments.

I also am not a fan of Stan Grof. I heard him speak once of consciousness and I felt he had little idea of what he was saying. I felt like he misunderstood the relationship between mind and matter and his views on psychedelics are completely ridiculous and unscientific. I think he is extremely biased and has taken and seen only what he wanted.

ohayoco I think you are quoting burnt there not me.

In my post where you got that from I was quoting burnt.
You are saying the same thing I thought..thay it mostly the aztecs who were really into sacrifice.

Sorry I'll edit- I pasted from your post instead of his original text by mistake. It's a little mission of mine to point out how European culture was at least just as nasty as Mesoamerican at the time the cultures met :) Bufoman- that's interesting to hear, thanks.

Burnt, let's be honest, a lot of the beliefs of psychedelic users would discredit psychedelics in the eyes of the general public. Anyone who doesn't share the public's beliefs is just plain crazy! ;)

From what I've heard, I've imagined the Mayans to have been a bit more civilised than Europeans were at the time.

Its tough to describe what we mean when we say civilized. But I completely agree European culture has just as much baggage as any other culture. I think its safe to say that all human cultures did things many of us now consider evil sometimes out of pure evil and sometimes out of ignorance.

I agree it was a different time and place but it is also pretty messed up. I do not take this to mean however that their cultures or other beliefs are flawed. Both cultures are fascinating and had great accomplishments.

I also agree here and I do not mean to imply that these cultures were stupid ignorant savages. I do not think that at all. I just think its important to put it into peoples perspective that many ancient cultures were very ignorant about some major aspects of the world. This caused them to have very obnoxious rituals beliefs etc. But at the same time they made technological and social advances.

Many people seem to have this romantic vision of ancient cultures. They seem to think that they somehow had access to some kind of deep knowledge that western culture is completely blind too. I understand where this attitude comes from. But I do not agree with it. They Mayan's couldn't predict the future just like we can't now. We can only speculate and make predictions based on what we know about how things work.

But my complaint is this :arrow: Grof's thesis: Mayans were ancient and had some technological innovation mainly in this case astronomy. They did drugs. Therefore they had deep knowledge about the future. That's a pathetic case.

My second real complaint is who are the spokes people for psychedelics?

There are those who fall into the Grof, Leary, T McKenna category. I believe these individuals have really generated nothing but confusion about psychedelic drugs. They also scare away real scientists who wish to explore this area. That inspires me to write another thread so I'll stop here.

burnt said:
There are those who fall into the Grof, Leary, T McKenna category.
Yes, that's why the dreamer feels he has to keep his exploits to himself, because he doesn't want people thinking he believes stuff like these people do. People associate psychedelics with new age beliefs.

I can most certainly judge a culture that kills people for a ritual that serves no real purpose the purpose is made up.

How can you even say that? You did not experience their culture, you don't even have the necessary information to have a well founded look from the outside. But WHAT you do have is a strong bias towards your own cultural values.

Thanks for the McKennna source. I never saw him as someone "serious" in the classic sense. He was more a poet and a visionary thinker to me, who presents entertaining possibilitys inspired by his psychedelic experiences.

burnt I do not much care for groffs obsession with the phenomena of prenatal experience and its relationship with transpersonal states of consciousness. But your reasons for discrediting him are of the lowest form of base criticism... if you had actually intelligent arguments based on his work,the work of his piers and the work within the field of transpersonal psychology i might actually respect what you have to say... but you dont and you are just kinda a intellectual who does not know what he does not know... which makes you the worst type of ignorant...
and I am not even defending groff, i dont even like his work! but at least hes done his work, and he knows what hes talking about, even if i dont agree with him, he has my respect... you on the other hand... deserve very little...

Dear burnt,

What Stanislav Grof is writing about in this essay is a culmination of several decades of work. You just see the summation, the result, not the way that led to this. Don't believe it was easy for him to step outside the scientific world view and begin to seriously entertain such far-fetched ideas. That's why I believe him. He began as a Freudian psychoanalyst but when started to experiment with LSD he found that the frameworks he was using - set up by traditional psychotherapy - were too limiting to account for the actual facts (experiences of his patients and the strange ways their medical condition was changed by those experiences).

I know this is a blatant violation of copyright, but I simply must share "Realms of the Human Unconscious", this 1975 book of dr. Grof with you. Therein you will find the history of the development of his ideas and how he came to believe in these - admittedly really far out - things. Together with case studies of his early LSD experiments.

I hope this book will shed a light on the matter and let you reconsider your point of view.

Attachments

• rothu.zip
    187.5 KB · Views: 0
obliguhl

How can you even say that? You did not experience their culture, you don't even have the necessary information to have a well founded look from the outside. But WHAT you do have is a strong bias towards your own cultural values.

Its not like I am judging all mayan people and saying they are all evil. Its the same as I would not say all German people who lived during the reign of the Nazi's was evil. But I would certainly say Nazism is a sick and twisted cultural idea. Its the same with human sacrafice I think its sick. That doesn't mean I think all Mayans were or are sick.

How do you know what my cultural values are? My values probably don't entirely line up with the values of many people who are in my cultural backround.

ohayoco

People associate psychedelics with new age beliefs.

Yes thats what kind of irritates me.

dorge

But your reasons for discrediting him are of the lowest form of base criticism... if you had actually intelligent arguments based on his work,the work of his piers and the work within the field of transpersonal psychology i might actually respect what you have to say...

The fact that you consider transpersonal psychology a legit field of psychology shows why you can't understand why my criticism of Grof is so simple. I have no need to launch an all out scholarly argument against his claims because his claims are not even legitimately scholarly to begin with. They rely on MAJOR assumptions that are not backed by evidence.

Grof automatically assumes that astrology is true and uses that as one of the basis of his entire theory (in this article). Astrology is a complete and utter joke. The 2012 myth is a complete and utter joke because astrology is not true. There is no evidence that cosmic events like the position of the stars has any significant effect on human consciousness. There is plenty of evidence that it does not and that human consciousness is governed by our immediate environment our genetic backround and our life experiences.

He also assumes that Jungian collective unconscious ideas are true or evidence based. They aren't. He assumes spiritualism is true and that is not necessarily so either.

but you dont and you are just kinda a intellectual who does not know what he does not know... which makes you the worst type of ignorant...

Yes I am ignorant because I have a criticism of someone who bases their entire theory on the idea that astrology is largely correct and that the position of our planet in the galatic scheme will changes our consciousness? :roll:

but at least hes done his work, and he knows what hes talking about, even if i dont agree with him, he has my respect... you on the other hand... deserve very little...

Just because hes done work doesn't mean his work is good or correct.

cellux

Don't believe it was easy for him to step outside the scientific world view and begin to seriously entertain such far-fetched ideas. That's why I believe him. He began as a Freudian psychoanalyst but when started to experiment with LSD he found that the frameworks he was using - set up by traditional psychotherapy -

Freudian psychology was largely wrong. Psychoanalysis is not the best way of dealing with many mental illnesses. So you believe him because he moved beyond Freud? Thats not saying too much... Maybe in the early days of psychology is it was a big deal to see Freuds models were lacking but modern psychology has moved far far beyond that without relying on spiritual nonsense.

were too limiting to account for the actual facts (experiences of his patients and the strange ways their medical condition was changed by those experiences).

I agree that LSD can completely cure some mental crisis people have. But his explanations about why it happens are often stupid and rely on assumptions that his spiritual beliefs (which also come from his own experience) are true.

I am not going to read his book like I said I've seen him in person and he was completely uninteresting and sounded like Freud on acid.

guys, please, lets tone it down, yes? no need for personal attacks and swearing.. I hope you all will edit by yourselves the unnecessary parts and keep this discussion civil. Each one does his part in being reasonable, please lets not go with the 'he started first' thing

i dont know some of his words you have quoted actually resonate with my being. i have learned things about the universe i cannot convey or prove. in fact YOU can't even prove the truth of the universe because you are too small and insignificant a part. so disprove atrology to me and i will believe you that he is a psuedo guru/whatever

Back
Top Bottom