• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Did Orange man make Cannabis legal at the Federal level in 2018?

Mitakuye Oyasin

Esteemed member
In 2018 Orange man signed the Farm Bill into law in the USA. Did this bill, and a THCa loophole within the bill, legally make most Cannabis legal at the Federal level within the United States of America? I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. This is an interesting video by a Cannabis industry lawyer that claims that the THCa loophole in the 2018 Farm Bill changed the Federal definition of what Marijuana is and what Hemp is, and he claims that it changed it in our favor as fellow Cannabis users! I'd love to hear what other legal minds and Cannabis users think of this concept and this Farm Bill and if this was a stealth trojan horse (quite possible accidental) to dismantle the unfair and unnatural Gov prohibition on the natural medicine known as Cannabis or Marijuana.

PS this is not intended as a political post, but a legal one. Please do not make this about politics, just the law and its interpretation. Thanks and happy 420 in advance.

The guvment. Let's stay on not worrying about who was President. Don't think it matters much in either case.
They were legislating about CBD, they didn't foresee the loopholes, and they want to close them.
I haven't followed it for a while, but last I heard they were going to increase the amount of THC allowed to 1% but make that apply to "all isomers" of THC. It would still allow the edibles since the loophole there is that you can get high on something which is .3% THC eating it. You can fit 10mg of THC in a gummy which is .3% THC. However, it would end the THCA bud and other smokeables.

I have noticed that several USA suppliers of CBD are now selling either THC-A crystals (diamonds) and/or Cannabis flowers (Buds) with high THC-A across state lines into various states. This seems to back up the claim that THC-A was made Federally legal via the 2018 Farm Bill. I hope this grows and continues instead of getting shut down.

A quick search showed me that Biden signed an extension of the 2018 Farm Bill extending it through September 2024. I didn't find anything on the status of the THCA (etc.) loophole, although I didn't look super hard.
My state just legalized and is talking about making all the legal THC stuff illegal. THCA, D8, HHC, etc., etc.. That is often the case when states legalize since they don't want the profit margin cut. :)
Yeah, it was neat to walk into a smoke shop and buy THCA buds, although they were more expensive than street pot. I did it a few times just because. Tried most of the other legal cannabinoids as well. THCA buds were the real deal.
There are places online where you can buy THCA distillate surprisingly cheaply. It's weird by itself, a nice high but something seems missing until you add a little CBD. I imagine adding an alphabet soup of other cannabinoids (CBG, CBN, CBC, yadda) would help even more.

It would seem that the original Bill changed the Federal legal definition of "Marijuana" and "Hemp". MJ has over .3% Delta9 THC, while all other Cannabis products with less than .3% Delta9 THC are legally now considered HEMP products. Sorta brilliant from a legal standpoint. Now your sticky buds that were considered Marijuana are legally Hemp now as they contain THC-A and not Delta9 THC. As you stated before it looks like CongressCritters are trying to write a new Farm Bill or amend it. Since they could not come to any agreement on the Bill, Biden extended the Bill and funding for it through Sept of 2024. Sure hope these new legal definitions stay and allow Cannabis to be legal at the Federal level for all 50 states. Free the Medicine!

Also agree with you that THC-A isolate as well as D8 isolate seem to be very dull, one-dimensional and monotone without much depth to them, unlike good buds that have the full spectrum of Cannabinoids.

And, most regular old bud is mostly THCA anyway. THCA is what the plant produces and it turns to THC upon heating or drying. All they do is find bud which is higher in THCA and sell that. It's often the same as dispensary bud. In a local smoke shop, I knew the shady owner and he was putting dispensary bud in his THCA bud jars when he ran out and was waiting on his new supply.

Even the bud sold as THCA bud will likely end up more than .3% THC through time and drying. Thing is, the cops don't have the means to test for such things and Marijuana is low priority for them now even in illegal states. Those that care are pushing to make all smoke shop cannabinoids illegal. Then it will be easy for them.

Realize it will happen. It always does. Even Kratom with a huge and organized movement to prevent illegalization is slowly losing ground. There are scares to be had to further carreers. I also hope it takes quite a while.

I got to try ∆9 THC-O-acetate while it was available legally for a while (the DEA moved to squelch that). It did take 1/2 hour to fully hit smoked and lasted a while. Eating it, it came on over a few hours and kept you stoned to the bone forever. Raised your tolerance uber quickly though, and I didn't buy any more. Buds are indeed much better than any of those made from CBD cannabiniods.

Back
Top Bottom