• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Filtering (Theory, Basic)

Migrated topic.

DrParadox

Rising Star
I've been looking through the various TEKs for DMT and other things. I notice that some stages call for strain through cloth, some for metal coffee filters and some for paper filters. What factors determine which of these filtering methods to use? How would they be ranked in order of the fineness of the material filtered out?

SWIM uses the decanting method after using a simple colander to filter out the big stuff. Two decants always have gotten it all out. Left with mimosa wine.

Coffee filters are useless to SWIM, they clog up extremely quickly. Paper towels are better, but still clog quickly.

If you're using very finly powdered bark, coffee and other paper-type filters are going to clog very quickly. That's where wire-mesh filters come in handy. SWIM likes to combine wire-mesh with a cheese-cloth insert when filtering the mimosa wine.

For A/B teks SWIM has found decanting to work very well. SWIM usually does multiple rounds of filtering, using different size materials depending on the stage. SWIM only does A/B extractions though, go STB and YMMV...

I actually did mean this to be a general, theoretical question.

So does anyone know the respective filtering abilities of: metal coffee filter, coffee filter paper, and cloth? Besides "hole size" are there other factors that influence the decision of what to use at each step?

A couple of more questions, while I am at it:

How do lab grade filter papers compare with coffee filters?

Can precipitate get lost in the filter? Anyway around this beyond using a filter with smaller holes and using more precipitate (so a small % is lost)?

Filtering is a key step after acid-soaks, I say ... The main theory to remember is that if it's "dissolved", ie 'soluble', and NOT- a precipitate then it will just pass through the filter.

Dissolved things are 'invisible'and pass through ... all the stuff you see will get stuck in the filter.

Decanting acid-MHRB-extract a few times after chilling in the fridge does a good job. But filtering get's every last drop clear - down to the pore size you have, and you can repeat many times to be a perfectionist.

You have to do it to know what will work, but don't be in a rush - let it drip through taking overnight even.

Rue seed is oily and plugs up 8 micro pores right away, and gravity takes 8 hours to push 200 ml of 3.5g rue seed extract through a filter cone. Compare this to how 200 ml of lemony MHRB extract(ground to dust) is filtered through 8 microns in 20 minutes.

Just try things to prove what you like - muck around with coffee filters - some types may work, but double them up or get 'good' ones. Or use 400-thread-count pillow cases, and put cotton-bolls in the funnel.

After decanting, there's still some fine mud at the bottom that flows off with the wine. Here's where filter paper comes in. Unfortunately, many people don't have a hose-equipped Erlenmeyer with a hand-pump. I've found that as you're filtering with gravity and the flow stops, grab some latex gloves and wrap the filter like a balloon. Pinch the top off and squeeze down slowly to aid the osmosis.

Back
Top Bottom