• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

First time extraction (need some advice)

Migrated topic.

jgoody13

Rising Star
Hello Nexians, I have some quick questions before I try my first extraction of DMT. I plan on using a STB tek. As a solvent I plan on using DCM(Methylene Chloride). I have read up and supposedly DCM is great for yield and it requires less pulls. I plan on using Heptane to re-x and get some of those unwanted alkaloids out. However I do have a couple concerns, so DCM is denser than water. So if my solvent containing the DMT is at the bottom of my container, wont some of my Mimosa pieces be hanging around in the bottom with my solvent? Or will it stay separate on the top? Also I do not have a separatory funnel, so will my pipette even be relevant in being able to remove from the bottom?

Say my DCM has some Mimosa powder hanging around in it, how do I go about removing it or will it even matter. (I plan on completely evaporating in a pyrex dish).

This is my first post on this great website and soon I will be attempting my first extract.I would love any feedback from my more experienced kitchen chemist :)

downwardsfromzero said:
Why this sudden spate of interest in STB with DCM? At least use it in an A/B. STB presents too high a risk of emulsion, and too much difficulty in recovering the NPS.

I don't think Emulsions will be a problem. However recovering the NPS will be. I am pretty dead set on using DCM. I have done my research and I would like to include it in my extraction.

Come on guys, I know there is someone out there who has used DCM in STB, how did you separate it? Did you have any difficulties due to it being denser than water?

jgoody13 said:
downwardsfromzero said:
Why this sudden spate of interest in STB with DCM? At least use it in an A/B. STB presents too high a risk of emulsion, and too much difficulty in recovering the NPS.

I don't think Emulsions will be a problem. However recovering the NPS will be. I am pretty dead set on using DCM. I have done my research and I would like to include it in my extraction.

Come on guys, I know there is someone out there who has used DCM in STB, how did you separate it? Did you have any difficulties due to it being denser than water?
If you have to ask these questions, it's probably better for you to use naphtha.

Back
Top Bottom